Need help with peeling window trim film

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
QX4Rider

Hi, I just bought a 07 FX35 and I have the common peeling and deterioration of the film on the window trim. I tried to peel some of it off with a heat gun. Only the top part of the film comes off easy, but the bottom is still tacky. I don’t want to hit it with heat for too long because I’m afraid to burn or melt the rubber on the top and bottom on the window trim.

Any advise on removing the film, maybe a type of sandpaper, if so, what grit?

I plan on Plasti Dipping them also, due to the fact I’ve had problems with adhesion promoter, primer, and paint in the past with other vehicles.
Attachments
35B3EFC5-402A-4A62-8AEB-64491B5AA20F.jpeg
764ECDC6-6C2B-42E8-B772-A1F121B4E6C1.jpeg

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Goo Gone glue and tape adhesive remover works fairly well to get this tacking residue off. A paper towel or thin cotton cloth, like from a tee shirt, saturated with Goo Gone and placed onto the sticky area, will slowly dissolve the residue so that it can simply be wiped off. Another approach, and much more aggressive, is to wipe off the tacky substance with a cotton cloth and pure gum turpentine. This stuff smells bad but it removes gummy adhesive residue almost instantly. Caution: Painted surfaces may be affected by the use of either product.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”