Need help with d2 racing coilover ride bounce

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Rohanmax14
Car: 2004 nissan maxima

2004 Nissan maxima stock 17" wheels 225/45/17 all round in front 1 gap n rear I think 0 gap. Dampering in front is 11 from soft n rear is 18 from soft. Starting from soft is 0 or from hard?

The only things I know is my driver side axle leaking n my stock endlink have play do this have anything to do with boucing n plus I haven't done balance tire or gotten alignment yet bec I want to get d2 get better first.

My buddy installed this 6 days ago, after that my ride away been bounce even I play with my dampering, I found out my spring was loosen so today I hand tight n added 2 TURNS PRE-LOAD made it really bounce I guess idk. Anyway how we do preload on this n I want stiffer n handling, Are D2 really made for soft ride or siffer ride? Oh yeah D2 service is crap n they have no respect for us.Before this setup I had bc racing coilover n they were stiffer n Harlingen than d2 coilover like I said they is something wrong here.

So anybody?

Rohanmax14

Cmon guy anybody? I choose this bec I wanted true coilover so I went with this. I'll happy if anybody chime in n help me. :)

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

Rebound is too linear on d2 coilovers. They'll never feel smooth on city roads.

Rohanmax14

I mean d2 coilover are not stiff or bumpy like it was on my bc racing coilover. How we do pre-load on this? What I want is stiffer n bumpy ride. Is ksport better than d2 or they same?

Gabes13

bouncy and bumpy are different characteristics, for me anyways; Bouncy is continuous. Ditch the pre load, the car will handle better and the damper will function more efficiently. You should be able to turn the spring by hand, but not be able to move the spring vertically at all. Have you played with all the damping adjustments on the coilovers? Ksport may not be any better than D2

Rohanmax14

Will I added too much preload bec I thought spring not suppose to move. Anyway im gonna reset pre-load.

1st lossen them up until spring move up n down
2nd tight spring collar by hand but not to tight as long spring don't move vertically
3rd bring lock collar up to keep spring collar tight
4th done

Spring suppose to spin little bit right?

Rohanmax14

Will I added too much preload bec I thought spring not suppose to move. Anyway im gonna reset pre-load.

1st lossen them up until spring move up n down
2nd tight spring collar by hand but not to tight as long spring don't move vertically
3rd bring lock collar up to keep spring collar tight
4th done

Spring suppose to spin little bit right?

Gabes13

youre suppose to be able to spin the spring with your hand. If you cant them you have too much pre load, and your springs will bind during compression and rebound. It'll be most noticeable during a turn bc you'll hear a c "clunking" noise.

Rohanmax14

Gabes13 wrote:youre suppose to be able to spin the spring with your hand. If you cant them you have too much pre load, and your springs will bind during compression and rebound. It'll be most noticeable during a turn bc you'll hear a c "clunking" noise.
Okay im gonna reset preload when I get chance. Tight by hand until spring don't move up n down once I get there after that spring can spin as long it not moving up n down. Am I right?

Rohanmax14

I haven't mess with them yet, but I found that I'm bottom out. What should I now?

Gabes13

What's bottoming out? Are the tires hitting the wheel wells? Is the chassis hitting the ground? Are the dampers running out of stroke? When adjusting ride height you should do all the adjustment through the bottom bracket. This allows the spring to be completely seating and provide efficient stroke for the damper to function properly. If you lower the car by dropping the spring you take critical stroke length away from the damper and increase your chances of bottoming out the damper.

Rohanmax14

The only thing I know that my strut bottom out while hitting bumps. What should I do to make it proper setup now?

Gabes13

Make sure your springs are seating properly and stop driving over big bumps are the only things to do.

Rohanmax14

Should I follow the link below for reseting the preload. I haven't fix anything yet. I didn't know how to describe in first place. That I'm bottom out until I donet get it fix I'm driving slow n I'm getting fix mon or Tuesday.

http://meganracing.com/tech/installatio ... 20pre-load

Gabes13

Yes that is how you do it, that is also everything I've already said.

Rohanmax14

U got PM.

Rohanmax14

The shop Keep it up they rasie the car by using preload anyway yesterday I went out n started lossen up the spring until it move up or down then next I went back hand tight until I see spring don't move up or down n turn 1 full turn around. Is still bounce? but it better than before. I set damper in front 30 n rear is still 18.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”