Need help with a engine build!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
tony602
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Singlecam

Im building my engine, getting it taken out, honing it porting an polishing soon. I need some internals but i want to be smart about it. I have a Ka24e (single cam) I want to keep the stock 8.6:1 compression -I may or may not add a turbo later, depends on how I feel about it when the engine is done that's why. And if i do add a turbo believe it will be something special. Uhm I like my Ka24e, it's a strong block, it's part of my car, keeping it in ironically makes me unique in the scene and I feel like using it as a starting point will help in in learning how to efficiently squeeze power out of an engine -so im not going to swap it out, not for an sr20, Rb or V8. :p

Anyways here is my question: I want to take what i have, and start my build of properly. A whole engine re-build, honed, ported and polished. My question is, if im keeping it stock compression, and perhaps adding a turbo later on and I want to overbuild so that I know i have a solid reliable car that will run boost properly for a long time. What internals should I go for?

My idea was to go with forged aluminum or some alloy and to switch out the pistons, connecting rods, valves and springs...maybe the camshaft? IDK. And i was thinking of going with JE, crower or CP stuff. Anybody know of trusted brands? Good deals if I buy a whole kit? reputable sites that sell these parts for Ka24e's? The one that offered the most comprehensive list I found was OJperformance is it any good? In you opinion and from experience, what parts would you focus more on (assuming here we are JUST focusing on the engine)?

given that the engine will be paired with headers, highflow exhaust, and a larger intakemanifold, and new fuel injectors(any brand out there that is reliable)?

Thank you for your time. I know searching is key, but i would rather start off by being pointed in the right direction than to randomly search for things.

Cheers!

CSUPUEBLOTIM
Car: 1992 240sx Sr20det Coupe Silvia Front

The tough part is the possibility of you wanting to boost later and not knowing how much. I figure its easier to do it all right the first time when its out. It wont hurt upgraded the internals even if you don't boost it and thats the way I see it. Usually when it comes to power you always want more. I would say if your budget allows look into some nice pistons, rods, and fresh bearings. I am essentially doing the same thing with my build (sr20). My initial goal was a reliable stock boost sr20, so I swapped out all the bottom end internals since its something that once its in the car its something that would have to be pulled and taken apart to mess with again...I prefer to enjoy and drive my cars as much as possible. One thing you might try searching for is others who have built KA24e's and see what they did and how its currently running. Sticking with name brand parts like you mentioned is always best for engine internals. Usually package deals are a little bit cheaper, but I wouldn't get a package deal unless it had the parts I wanted. Hope this kind of gives you some insight.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”