Need help with a distributor conflict

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
DeadlyViper1682
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 Pickup

Hey everyone, new to this forum... I had just got me last week a 1978 Datsun 620 pickup. Its cool, the body is straight, but the engine was blown. the guy told me that the engine spun a bearing, but when I took it out, the block had a hole in it and the rod was sticking out....spun bearing huh? anyho, I put in another L20b engine but this one came with the first module EI distributor with a ignition box module that people say is cool but rather prefer a E12-80 dist. (which i do have) cause its more accurate. Then others are saying that the GM HEI igniton module(which I also have) is better, and you can also install the GM HEI with the E12-80 distributor to get the most perfornace out of it. Is it true? Also, it's stated that if i were to connect the E12-80 dist, i have to connect the (-) on the coil to a Tach. which my truck dont have. Do I really need one the to install a E12-80 dist. or a GM HEI, cause if i do, my buddy will give me a factory tach off of his smashed 1975 280 Z. If i do get his tach, how would i connect it all. IF any one who did one of these mods, can they please clarify for me on how to connect it, and which mod is better to install, cause theres alot of heat about the GM HEI module. Any help will do. Thanx

DeadlyViper1682
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 Pickup

I'll also try and post pix of my truck when i get a chance to.

jahinsanebowtie
Car: 1977 Datsun 620, 1995 Blazer

I have seen others with the gm hei module but I have the same setup as yours and it seems to work fine. i don't know if it would be worth it to do all the wiring and spend the money on the module.

Return to “Datsun 620”