Need help with 87 max problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Simon Martin

I have a problem: When I start my car it starts right up, then the rpms dive for a minute and there is alot of putting from the exhaust for lack of a better term. As the car warms up it goes back up to normal idle but the exhaust continues to put intermitently at idle. When I give it gas it runs great but when it returns to idle, more rough putting from the exhaust. I have a new coil, all injectors have been cleaned and checked at the shop, new plugs, wires, timing belt cap, rotor and the distributor has been cleaned and checked.Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this problem?

Thanks so much

NISTECH

head temp sensor possibly? see if it is open at the connector near your timing cover on top. Its either a yellow or red connector. unplug it and check the resitance on the side that runs down behind the timing cover. if it is open [no continuity] you need to replace the sub harness and the head temp sensor( no fun) It is very diffcult to get out if you dont have the special 17mm tool.

Simon Martin

I will check the temp sensor and harness. thanks so much for the help.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”