need help wheels

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Iball20
Car: 1991 240sx

I am looking at wheels i found some 17x7 but everyone is saying they wont look right on s13 so can someone please help me find the width. any info is apperciated.

daemonyk
Car: '93 240SX

Iball20 wrote:I am looking at wheels i found some 17x7 but everyone is saying they wont look right on s13 so can someone please help me find the width. any info is apperciated.
17x7 wheels should fit / look fine on a 240. I'm rocking 17x7's on my S13 and they look fine. It's the offset of the wheel that makes the most difference, not the width, IMO. Even the "right width" can look messed up with the wrong offset. Offset is how far in or out the wheel is spaced. Almost any width wheel can "look right" on a 240 if the offset is right. There are several wheel fitment threads on here - try to look them up. Use the search button, type in "wheel fitment".

Keep in mind that this "everyone" you speak of may have different tastes and preferences than you. Some people don't think a 240 "looks right" unless it's rolling on 20x10.5's that stick way out past the fender, body scraping the ground, painted a color bright enough to see from space, with lambo doors, and a wing big enough to fly with. Other people might think a 240 only "looks right" bone stock. So do what YOU want to do to the car, ya know?

Iball20

daemonyk wrote:
Iball20 wrote:I am looking at wheels i found some 17x7 but everyone is saying they wont look right on s13 so can someone please help me find the width. any info is apperciated.
17x7 wheels should fit / look fine on a 240. I'm rocking 17x7's on my S13 and they look fine. It's the offset of the wheel that makes the most difference, not the width, IMO. Even the "right width" can look messed up with the wrong offset. Offset is how far in or out the wheel is spaced. Almost any width wheel can "look right" on a 240 if the offset is right. There are several wheel fitment threads on here - try to look them up. Use the search button, type in "wheel fitment".

Keep in mind that this "everyone" you speak of may have different tastes and preferences than you. Some people don't think a 240 "looks right" unless it's rolling on 20x10.5's that stick way out past the fender, body scraping the ground, painted a color bright enough to see from space, with lambo doors, and a wing big enough to fly with. Other people might think a 240 only "looks right" bone stock. So do what YOU want to do to the car, ya know?

Yeah I understand what you mean. Do you have a pic of your setup?
The two wheels I'm looking at are 17x7 +35 the other is 17x7 +40
I'm trying to get kinda flush since I'm lowering on coils.

240hatchsx
Car: 93 s13 hatch

I'm lowered on coils myself and have a little bit of camber and running 17x7 with 205 tires and it look and drives nice

laxands13
Car: 93 240sx Hatchback - Sold and missed
80 280zx - sold
83 Honda Civic Wagon - Current DD, soon to be CA16 powered

+ 35 and +40 are probably not going to be very flush. The lower the offset the closer to "flush" you'll end up. Take a quick look through this thread to get some ideas of what you want.
fitment-database-post-your-wheel-setup- ... 65282.html

daemonyk

Lowered on isis coilovers, wheels are 17x7.5 +42 with 205/40R17 tires.

I bet the +40 or the +35 would look good too. Too much lower on the offset than that and I think you might run into over-flush-ness. Aka, wheels sticking out too far. You should be ok down to like a 20-25 offset. :gotme I know there are wiser wheel guru's than I on here.

^^^Also that wheel fitment thread above my post^^^ posted by laxands13 :bigthumb:
Last edited by daemonyk on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Iball20

240hatchsx wrote:I'm lowered on coils myself and have a little bit of camber and running 17x7 with 205 tires and it look and drives nice

Pics?

Iball20

laxands13 wrote:+ 35 and +40 are probably not going to be very flush. The lower the offset the closer to "flush" you'll end up. Take a quick look through this thread to get some ideas of what you want.
fitment-database-post-your-wheel-setup- ... 65282.html

Why is it closer to zero offset the better flush I will be? I thought it was the other way around.

Iball20

daemonyk wrote:Lowered on isis coilovers, wheels are 17x7.5 +42 with 205/40R17 tires.

I bet the +40 or the +35 would look good too. Too much lower on the offset than that and I think you might run into over-flush-ness. Aka, wheels sticking out too far. You should be ok down to like a 20-25 offset. :gotme I know there are wiser wheel guru's than I on here.

^^^Also that wheel fitment thread above my post^^^ posted by laxands13 :bigthumb:

Those are nice. How it ride?

daemonyk

Iball20 wrote: Why is it closer to zero offset the better flush I will be? I thought it was the other way around.
There's positive offset and negative offset. Less positive offset moves the wheel out. More negative offset moves the wheel out.

Zero offset means the hub sits directly on the centerline of the wheel. Positive offset is the milimeters the hub surface is moved towards the outside of the wheel, making the wheel sit more inward. Positive offset decreases, moving the wheel outward. Once you hit zero offset, it starts counting upwards, but NEGATIVE, so as you go higher in the NEGATIVE offset, the wheel moves more outward. So +15 means 15mm towards the outside of the wheel from the centerline, making the wheel sit 15mm more inward. -15 means 15mm towards the inside of the wheel from the centerline, making the wheel sit 15mm more outward. And a -15 would sit 30mm wider than a +15. If that makes sense. Or something like that. Someone else might be able to 'splain it better :gotme

Insofar as my setup, I think it rides great. Great traction, handled better, didn't really seem to change ride feel negatively.

Iball20

daemonyk wrote:
Iball20 wrote: Why is it closer to zero offset the better flush I will be? I thought it was the other way around.
There's positive offset and negative offset. Less positive offset moves the wheel out. More negative offset moves the wheel out.

Zero offset means the hub sits directly on the centerline of the wheel. Positive offset is the milimeters the hub surface is moved towards the outside of the wheel, making the wheel sit more inward. Positive offset decreases, moving the wheel outward. Once you hit zero offset, it starts counting upwards, but NEGATIVE, so as you go higher in the NEGATIVE offset, the wheel moves more outward. So +15 means 15mm towards the outside of the wheel from the centerline, making the wheel sit 15mm more inward. -15 means 15mm towards the inside of the wheel from the centerline, making the wheel sit 15mm more outward. And a -15 would sit 30mm wider than a +15. If that makes sense. Or something like that. Someone else might be able to 'splain it better :gotme

Insofar as my setup, I think it rides great. Great traction, handled better, didn't really seem to change ride feel negatively.

Ohh ok I see what you mean so the lower off set the deeper the wheel will be. And the more positive the more it will be forward.

laxands13
Car: 93 240sx Hatchback - Sold and missed
80 280zx - sold
83 Honda Civic Wagon - Current DD, soon to be CA16 powered

Basically. But think of it less as forward and more as outward from the center of the wheel. More of the wheel will be closer to the hub with a higher positive offset. Google will show you some descriptions with easier to understand drawings of what specificically offset means

daemonyk

Now with pictures!

That's how offset works. Also note that spacers can lower the offset (move the wheel outward), but can't increase it (move the wheel inward). All things to keep in mind when buying wheels. Funny story, the wheels on my car I bought from someone who was selling them cos the offset was wrong and it rubbed on their spring perches and ate their sidewalls lol. Always check the specs! :bigthumb:

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Jesus Christ... this thread. :facepalm:

OP, the point of upgrading your wheels isn't merely for looks. The purpose is the upgrade your performance/traction. The reason those ppl were discouraging you from mounting 17x7 wheels isn't merely because it likely won't be flush, but also because it isn't anywhere near the max amount of wheel & tire that you can fit under an S13 fenders. You're just cheating yourself out of both performance AND style with 17x7's.

My recommendation is to run away from those FWD Honda sized 17x7's, and go looking for something wider. For an entry level guy like you, I'd recommend starting with a 17x9+20 wheels with 235/40 tires. It'll grip much better & fit flusher to your fenders.

Browse through my sig links if you need wheel suggestions. I'm all about the cheap but wide wheels, yo.

simmode1

BTW, here's some imagery to help you out.

Here's an s13 on pizza cutter thin 17x7+33 with 235/45/17 fronts and 17x8+35 with 255/45/17 rears.

Notice how the wheels are recessed into the wheel well all sunken in like they're hiding from the sun? And how the tires are really too fat & tall on the wheels, so it looks some somebody was baking some bread around the rims? :barf:

Now here's an entry level, relatively simple setup with high yields: 17x9+20 with 235/45/17 all around.

Notice how the wheels and tires are flush with the fenders? Thise widens your tract & improves handling. Also notice the difference between the way the exact same tire size (235/45/17) sits on a 17x9 wheel versus a dinky 17x7 wheel.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but the very minimum a 240 should be running would be 17x9 with 235/40's. Personally, I make it a point to laugh in the face on any local 240's drivers I meet with dinky sized wheels like 17x7's. It is tell-tale proof that you don't know what you're doing with your car.

It is possible to be much more aggressize with your setup, but you might wanna start with baby-steps. In either event, any setup you pick is gonna look like utter crap if you're not already lowered on coilovers. Aftermarket wheels + 4x4 height 240's = :nono:

Once you get your weight up and decide if you're more into the the 'stanced' thing or the more track focused setup, you can start stepping up to setups like this:

Head over to http://www.Rimtuck.com to get an idea of some common S13//s14 setups.

AntonioG
Car: 91 240sx

In the next week or two, I'll have an S13 on 17x8 +40 with 245/40r17s. I'll post picks and let you know if I have to use any spacers and such(I very well might). Perhaps that'll help some too.

Iball20

simmode1 wrote:BTW, here's some imagery to help you out.

Here's an s13 on pizza cutter thin 17x7+33 with 235/45/17 fronts and 17x8+35 with 255/45/17 rears.

Notice how the wheels are recessed into the wheel well all sunken in like they're hiding from the sun? And how the tires are really too fat & tall on the wheels, so it looks some somebody was baking some bread around the rims? :barf:

Now here's an entry level, relatively simple setup with high yields: 17x9+20 with 235/45/17 all around.

Notice how the wheels and tires are flush with the fenders? Thise widens your tract & improves handling. Also notice the difference between the way the exact same tire size (235/45/17) sits on a 17x9 wheel versus a dinky 17x7 wheel.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but the very minimum a 240 should be running would be 17x9 with 235/40's. Personally, I make it a point to laugh in the face on any local 240's drivers I meet with dinky sized wheels like 17x7's. It is tell-tale proof that you don't know what you're doing with your car.

It is possible to be much more aggressize with your setup, but you might wanna start with baby-steps. In either event, any setup you pick is gonna look like utter crap if you're not already lowered on coilovers. Aftermarket wheels + 4x4 height 240's = :nono:

Once you get your weight up and decide if you're more into the the 'stanced' thing or the more track focused setup, you can start stepping up to setups like this:

Head over to http://www.Rimtuck.com to get an idea of some common S13//s14 setups.
Thanks so much. I will post my setup as soon as I get coils. I may drop like 2.5 inches. And rims that aren't too expensive you can recommend? And like should I got 17x9 all around I have 4 lug not 5. So any help is welcomed.

Iball20

AntonioG wrote:In the next week or two, I'll have an S13 on 17x8 +40 with 245/40r17s. I'll post picks and let you know if I have to use any spacers and such(I very well might). Perhaps that'll help some too.

Ok do so man!

daemonyk

AntonioG wrote:In the next week or two, I'll have an S13 on 17x8 +40 with 245/40r17s. I'll post picks and let you know if I have to use any spacers and such(I very well might). Perhaps that'll help some too.
If you're on coilovers they *might* fit as is. If you're on stock (sized) springs/struts, you probably will need spacers. I could be totally wrong. Either way let us know how yours turns out. And of course, post pix :bigthumb:

AntonioG
Car: 91 240sx

Yeah, sadly the suspension is still stock. I'm fairly certain I'll have to use spacers. But, I will definitely put some pics up to note the progress!

mechanicalmoron

Iball20 wrote:
simmode1 wrote:BTW, here's some imagery to help you out.

Thanks so much. I will post my setup as soon as I get coils. I may drop like 2.5 inches. And rims that aren't too expensive you can recommend? And like should I got 17x9 all around I have 4 lug not 5. So any help is welcomed.
I'm sort of wondering the same thing, about reccomendations.

As far as go with no show, are steelies available in that size, and are they substantially cheaper than entry alloy wheels? And, are they really heavy/flexy enough to not be worth it?

I don't want a cheap knock-off "replica", I want good safe wheels, that are honest about what they are, and that don't try to be something they're not.

Iball20

Steelies sound good. I just want a nice 4 lug rim. I'm not going 5 lug till possibly the summer but I'm heading off to college so idk. But please help with the rims.

simmode1

Iball20 wrote:Thanks so much. I will post my setup as soon as I get coils. I may drop like 2.5 inches. And rims that aren't too expensive you can recommend? And like should I got 17x9 all around I have 4 lug not 5. So any help is welcomed.
What's your budget? You want concave or deep dish? 5/6 spoke or mesh style?

Seriously though, scroll back up to my original post. My sig links were compiled just for guys like you.

Iball20

simmode1 wrote:
Iball20 wrote:Thanks so much. I will post my setup as soon as I get coils. I may drop like 2.5 inches. And rims that aren't too expensive you can recommend? And like should I got 17x9 all around I have 4 lug not 5. So any help is welcomed.
What's your budget? You want concave or deep dish? 5/6 spoke or mesh style?

Seriously though, scroll back up to my original post. My sig links were compiled just for guys like you.

To be honest like all rims that look good lol. But my budget is like 700-800. Could you photo shop the blue rota grids on my car? I'm going to try and post a picture from my phone. How would 17x9 sit in the front with 17x9.5 in the back?

Iball20

Can't get the picture up but I have a white 91 240sx se

Iball20

simmode1

^^^ :eek: WTF is this? I don't even... :confused:

Ok, get you ish one color first. Secondly, coilovers yo. 17x9/17x9.5 Grids would be good for you. I prefer P45R's, but hey, whatevs. I think $800 might barely be enough to snag you set of Grids if you find a vendor having a sale.

No, I can't photoshop for you but here:
Hyper Black FTW.

Iball20

simmode1 wrote:^^^ :eek: WTF is this? I don't even... :confused:

Ok, get you ish one color first. Secondly, coilovers yo. 17x9/17x9.5 Grids would be good for you. I prefer P45R's, but hey, whatevs. I think $800 might barely be enough to snag you set of Grids if you find a vendor having a sale.

No, I can't photoshop for you but here:
Hyper Black FTW.
I know I know. I bought the car and the first thing is getting a sr20 in which I'm in the process of doing. The previous owner had these black things on I think you can unscrew them off. And I'm getting race land coils before I get the rims. And I'll post a pic of the grids I may be getting they are 745

mechanicalmoron

It's like you drive a checkerboard....

You could always keep it like that, put huge chessmen on the headlights, and hit the art car scene.... no SR or coils needed.

simmode1

If it were me though guys, I'd be ordering XXR's ner CCW replicas, the 531's.

17x9+25 fronts and 17x10+20 rears. 4 lug, cheap, beautiful and they only weigh 20 lbs.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvQdCIthW0[/youtube]
Ballin' on a budget.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”