Need help,rb25 s2 wiring on rb20

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
skylinekid
Car: R33 GTS
R32 GTS-t

hey guys...

first post here... :dblthumb:

anyways.... recently acquired a r32 with a rb20det motor...
wiring looked really messy but when checks were made with previous owner.... i was tol the following:

- its a RB20det BUT... its wired with the S2 RB25det wiring. Hence it uses the S2 Rb25det coilpacks n that means no igniter module is needed

with that said, I see where its wired to use either the 3 pin AFM (im assuming the S2 RB25det uses this) AND the 5 pin AFM (thisis used by the rb20det and S1 RB25 motors)........ basically, both the 3 pin and the pin are wired into the loom so either can be used.

previous owner said car ran good WITH the 3 pin...

but after getting it and installing the 5 pin car ran/idled much better but bogged when coming on boost (fuel pump etc will be changed soon)
another issue is that its running an auto ECU for the rb20....

so what im asking, can anyone provide some insight on the advantages of using the S2 Wiring on a rb20det. is it safe to run this setup?

what is yall take in this and im seriously i need of advice n routes to take...

i had already purchased a manual ECU for the for the rb25 engine to match with the loom - 2371m-21u06 (or may be 60)....

found a lil useful info on this thread too...
whats-the-difference-between-s1-and-s2- ... 85996.html

DA 240
Car: 90' 240SX w/ RB25 & HX35

I know, my setup isn't the same as yours, but I run my Series 2 RB25 on a chipped RB20 ecu and I have no issues. If I remember correct there is a difference between the ecu plug on the RB25 harness and the RB20 ecu plug.... I think it was something with the injectors(but its been a while since I've looked).

skylinekid
Car: R33 GTS
R32 GTS-t

i will def have to look at that.... havent pulled the wireloom from the car as yet though but will do so on the weekend.....
if there is a difference in the plug then i may just use the rb20 ecu till i get the plug for the rb25ecu...

i think the difference is just in a few wires how they are connected though....and yes. it relates to the injectors... i know specifically injector #2 for sure is wired differently for both.

im told i should be fine using the s@rb25 loom on the rb20det... just make sure that ecu n a few other stuff match for the loom...

it was running very rich at the time however.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”