Need help on oil leak?? 04' G35

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
andrewjetmitchell
Car: '05 G35

I have a small oil leak around my oil filter, Its dripping down to the bottom of the oil cooler housing. There is no leak above that point, just washed the bottom of engine so Its clean everywhere. the filter is tight, the oil pan gasket is good, but I cant find this leak. It only drips when Im not looking, I cant figure out if It leaks while running or leaks after shut off. I've ran the engine up to 10 mins and no leak. Help. Thanks Jet Where do you upload pics on this damn thing?

Modified by andrewjetmitchell at 12:16 PM 12/3/2008
Modified by andrewjetmitchell at 12:17 PM 12/3/2008

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

When did you last perform an oil change? Are you sure the oil filter is not too old or loose, cross threaded?

This is odd, however, if the last person to do an oil change didn't remove the lower engine cover, it's possible that some oil leaked down during the change.

Sorry I can't help you more, but for pictures, you can upload them to xs.to, and copy and paste the "forum code" into your post. hope this helps, post some pics if you have any luck, we'll be able to help you better with some good pics

Keep us posted

andrewjetmitchell

OK..hear you go. See above picture. thanks

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

This sounds dumb, but take off the oil filter and make sure there aren't 2 gaskets. A friend of mine lost all of the oil in their hyundai accent, because her father wasn't careful on her oil change and the oil gasket plus the new one got installed.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

andrewjetmitchell wrote:I have a small oil leak around my oil filter, Its dripping down to the bottom of the oil cooler housing. There is no leak above that point, just washed the bottom of engine so Its clean everywhere. the filter is tight, the oil pan gasket is good, but I cant find this leak. It only drips when Im not looking, I cant figure out if It leaks while running or leaks after shut off. I've ran the engine up to 10 mins and no leak. Help. Thanks Jet Where do you upload pics on this damn thing?

Modified by andrewjetmitchell at 12:16 PM 12/3/2008

Modified by andrewjetmitchell at 12:17 PM 12/3/2008
Who performed the last oil change and filter?

If it is not a factory filter perhaps an incorrect oil filter was used?

You might as well just change the oil and filter yourself to be sure it is done right. I hope you didn't use Jiffy Lube?

Whenever I remove the old oil filter I clean the surface where the new filter seats as well as placing a film of oil on the new seal. I tighten as much as I can by hand plus 1/8 additional turn to get a good tight seal. Refill with 5 qts of oil and start engine and check for any leaks prior to replacing the fiberboard shroud.

Telcoman

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Sentientbydesign wrote:This sounds dumb, but take off the oil filter and make sure there aren't 2 gaskets. A friend of mine lost all of the oil in their hyundai accent, because her father wasn't careful on her oil change and the oil gasket plus the new one got installed.
Did this very thing YEARS ago with my 88 Bronco II. It gave my drive way a 6 foot long x 2 foot wide racing stripe!!! Yep, I make sure I see and feel that gasket now when I take it off!

I would also take it off and replace with a Nissan OEM filter.

fbpem1

i have seen a lot of oil cooler gaskets go recently its like a 40 dollar gasket.

most of the time when a gasket is left on the cooler housing still it causes more of a "pissing" type leak haha

andrewjetmitchell

Come on guys. Its me! I did the oil change (It's all good). No, I had developed the oil leak, changed the oil, car-washed the underside, looked for the leak and still the leak is there. I need real help here. the leak is above the oil pan, so I'm pretty sure Its not the oil pan gasket. Is it common for the oil cooler gasket to blow? Thanks for your help guys. Jet

BrandAidDesignG35

[img=http://xs434.xs.to/xs434/08495/oilpan880.jpg]

Hey buddy, here's the diagram of the oil pan etc... Maybe it's one of the o-rings above or around the filter? Techs? Can anyone shed some light on his burden?

fbpem1

andrewjetmitchell wrote:Come on guys. Its me! I did the oil change (It's all good). No, I had developed the oil leak, changed the oil, car-washed the underside, looked for the leak and still the leak is there. I need real help here. the leak is above the oil pan, so I'm pretty sure Its not the oil pan gasket. Is it common for the oil cooler gasket to blow? Thanks for your help guys. Jet
BrandAidDesignG35 wrote:[img=http://xs434.xs.to/xs434/08495/oilpan880.jpg]

Hey buddy, here's the diagram of the oil pan etc... Maybe it's one of the o-rings above or around the filter? Techs? Can anyone shed some light on his burden?
fbpem1 wrote:i have seen a lot of oil cooler gaskets go recently its like a 40 dollar gasket.
i already did. #3 in that picture you posted thats your leak.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

You can email me the pics and I will post them if you want. If you have the image hosted elsewhere use the insert image icon on the toolbar above your reply window. Insert the link in the middle of the brackets. ({img}image url{/img})

Thats looks like a generic oil filter. From the oil changes I have done this is not uncommon with aftermarket filters. They may clean better but they also seem to leak more. If the oil is only on the bottom of the oil cooler housing with no visable source, I would think it's left over from your oil change. Check the belly pan and see if there is an oil puddle.

Step one would be to replace that filter and clean the area and keep and eye on it.

infinitidude
Car: 2004 G35 Sedan Sport 19" Ray's Coupe Wheels

Hey man, it's definitely your oil cooler o-ring...we change about 10 a weekat the dealership that I work at. It's a very common thing when these engines get 60,000 miles or more...this will 100% fix your leak.

BrandAidDesignG35

Thanks for joining to add that tidbit of info, welcome to nico!

So, is it a hard job replacing the O ring behind the oil cooler? Any updates Andrewjetmitchell?

andrewjetmitchell

First thank you for all of your help. No updates yet, the weather turned really cold. Will update later. Jet

infinitidude
Car: 2004 G35 Sedan Sport 19" Ray's Coupe Wheels

not at all...when you remove the oil filter,take the threaded portion that the oil filter screws onto off (either 22mm or 7/8 socket),unscrew it and the oil cooler comes right off of the engine,clean well and install new o-ring,put it all back together and top off oil level when finished and you are done...thanks for the welcome and i hope this helps all of you do it yourselfers out

eh?

I'm having the same problem. Anyone have a P/N for the o-ring?

bora492
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

Part# is B1304-43U00. I just picked one up at the Nissan dealer for $5.50.

Thanks to everyone for the post! It really helped me out!

Dave

ambroseln
Car: 2005 infiniti G35 twin turbo

I have had the same issue with my car, i could not find the leak for nothin, i even replaced the oil pan gasket thinking it might of had a small leak, but that didn't fix it so i took it to the dealer and he told me the oil cooler o-ring was bad, he said it is a common issue

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

Wow this thread is old. Also make sure your oil filter o ring is good itself. Sometimes with the oil filters I have to tighen them down a little more than hand tight to get them to seal properly.

Redhawk
Car: 2003 G35 5Auto

Coming from the bottom of where the oil filter sits on my 2003 G35 Sedan in this post....need-help-on-oil-leak-04-g35-t388048.html It's the picture of the block hose.

Does anyone have any info on what the part number is for this item? Mine is cracked and is weeping oil. I'd like to change it before I have a total bust out. Thanks in advance for any help

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Thread Resurrection!!
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead (almost 8 years old.)

Just bought a 2011 G25X and I most likely have the exact same oil leak between the oil cooler and the oil filter adapter.
It may also be leaking between the adapter and the block.
Think I'm going to knock them both out at the same time.

If you guys know of any good videos that show taking the adapter plate off, I'd appreciate it!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”