need help launching!!

Blast down the 1320? Love the 1/8 mile action? Here's your forum.
specina21
Car: nissan sentra ser spec v

i have a sentra 02 with dc header,megan catback,nismo intake and ported header and throttle body but everytime i launch at 2500 my car hops and i give it 3000 it goes peeling out all till 2second gear and then it bogs what rps should i be launching at ???

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

its not 100% about your RPM, its how your letting off the clutch, you DO NOT want to dump the clutch. Bring the RPM's up to maybe 2500-3000rpm and stage. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR LIGHT, bump the clutch to where its JUST barely engaged but not moving the car, when you feel ready and only when you feel ready SLOWLY slip the clutch while bringing the RPM's up. You should experience a small bit if any tire spin

Another thing that could be hurting you is if your on street tires such as regular old kumho ecsta's etc, do not do a big smokey burnout. all that will do is make the tires greasy. Do a quick spin of the tires to get any rocks or pebbles off them but thats it. nothing more than a quick high rpm dump of the clutch.

Hope this helps man, its kinda hard without being there to teach ya.

i ran into a kid not too long ago at moroso here in west palm with an SR20 B14, he was running 12.9-13.2 all night, I told him exactly what i just told you and by the end of the night he was running 11.9-12.3 consistantly.

Phil

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

I am not sure if I agree with not dumping the clutch......I dumped my totally stock Sentra SE at around 3K and it would pull 2.1 60 foot times. I think the first thing they need to worry about is tire pressure. I was using 25 psi hot with stock tires and it seemed to work very well.

However, with a turbo set-up I could definately see the benefit of slipping of the clutch......

Though, my buddy with a box stock 1st gen stock Eclipse with regular street tires pulled a 1.9 second 60 foot with dumping the clutch.

MeanGreenS13

A tire is irrelivent. He asked nothing about what tire he should use.

SURE he should be on a drag radial or even a slick. But dumping the clutch not only causes tire spin, but drivetrain shock, which breaks things. And a 2.1 60 foot is absolutely PATHETIC!, i can do a 1.8 all day long on street tires with my technicque. it works perfectly.

I dont care what your buddy pulled dumping the clutch, his car is either probably AWD, or he got lucky. Dumping the clutch is only your gateway to broken parts... even if your stock

specina21
Car: nissan sentra ser spec v

thanks u guys i will try this weekend i will let u guys know how i did

justjuiceit4

MeanGreenS13 wrote:A tire is irrelivent. He asked nothing about what tire he should use.

SURE he should be on a drag radial or even a slick. But dumping the clutch not only causes tire spin, but drivetrain shock, which breaks things. And a 2.1 60 foot is absolutely PATHETIC!, i can do a 1.8 all day long on street tires with my technicque. it works perfectly.

I dont care what your buddy pulled dumping the clutch, his car is either probably AWD, or he got lucky. Dumping the clutch is only your gateway to broken parts... even if your stock
I did not mention anything about what tire he should use?! Where did you get that? I just said that he should adjust his tire pressure.

Using your technique can fry a clutch for the unexperienced driver. I have made 100s of runs using my technique and nothing has broken ever! Sure with more hp it could break things, but these are sub-170 hp cars we are talking about! A 2.1 60 foot with a stock front wheel drive (open diff with factory tires) Sentra (140hp) is extremely good. There is no way you could break 2.0 with your technique or any technique with that car..... You can not compare your rwd 300+hp car to a car with not even half the power!

Furthermore, my friend's eclipse was fwd and yes he did get lucky.....basically he heated the tires up off boost and when the boost kicked in it stuck.

Modified by justjuiceit4 at 4:45 PM 3/17/2008

justjuiceit4

So, how did it turn out?

RCAnismo
Car: '06 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast, '05 CBR 1000RR Repsol, '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'm assuming since this thread was started in March he never got back with the results but I have a similar question.

I've only been to the drag strip a couple times. My last car was a 200hp front wheel drive car with a racing clutch and my best time was a 14.1 at 103 mph.

I thought for sure I would be able to smoke that time with my stock Z. So I decided to go to the track to give it a shot. I got to the line and dumped the clutch at about 6K rpm since that is what I did with my last car and it seemed to work ok. This time it didn't work out so well......I thought the tires were spinning and as I went through the gears I realized I was burning up my clutch.... It smelled horrible. Very disappointing.

I didn't want to run again since I thought my clutch was toast and I wanted to test it out on the street. I left the track and on the street it didn't seem to have any problems although I'm sure I didn't help it's life at all. I think I'm going to go back and try it again but now I'm wondering what is the best way to launch this car. I think the advice from Mean Green sounds like it would work the best but I'm really not sure. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

MeanGreenS13

never ever just dump the clutch, thats how axles break, trannies drop and clutches fry.

go throught he staging process and bring it up to the lights, dont focus on getting a good reaction time right away, ive got hundreds of passes before i even started worrying about that.

First thing first, get to the line making sure both top lights are lit, bump the clutch till you just barely feel the car want to move (do not let it move though). bring the rpm's up to 3000 to start and bring them up more if needed or down more if needed. when the light turns, or you feel ready give it more gas and slowly let out on the clutch at the same time. dont dump it, feather it out, it will allow just enough slippage to allow the car to keep power without bogging and allow you to get a good 60' which is the KEY to a good clean 1/4 mile pass.

do not expect perfect results your first time out. its going to take many many MANY tries. my best advice to you, is practice on a side street which has no houses or traffic, preferably a dead end of some sort. it will be different from street to track so be prepared for that, but it will at least get you in the "swing of things" so to speak and give you an idea of what to do and how to adjust for different conditions.

RCAnismo

Thanks man, thats more info than I had and a good place to start.

This is a rookie question and I should probably know this but does the reaction time count against the 1/4 mile time? If I sit on the line for 2 sec, run a 14sec do I get a 16 sec time?

MeanGreenS13

no it doesnt. your time doesnt start till you leave that line.

carmo
Car: 92 Accord, 90 Civic, 89 240sx

I've seen alot of stock 350z clutches go up is smoke and tufts of clutch material. I don't know if it was the driver of just a weak clutch. I would suspect a bit of both. I suggest you replace the clutch and flywheel before it leaves you stranded. If your gonna be racing the car. Also the factory dual mass flywheel weighs like 40lbs.

RCAnismo

I went back to the track and tried to launch with these tips and it helped out a lot. I was still disappointed since my best time was a 14.1 but it worked out a lot better. Didn't smell any clutch and it didn't slip. I would still like to get a racing clutch at some point.

MeanGreenS13

if you track it alot, something like a spec stage 5 may be beneficial

carmo

I have an XTD stage 3 clutch and flywheel in my VQ swapped S13. As soon as I get it running I'm gonna beat the crap out of it, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. By the way, the parts where a little over $500 shipped to my door and I'm also gonna give the clutch the break in period. Which is better than my ex-girlfriends period...... Either way you can't wait for it to be over.

MeanGreenS13

XTD?! are you kidding me? you wasted your money, spend the extra 200 bux on a REAL clutch next time, ACT Exedy or Spec.

carmo

No, not kidding you at all. I really did get an XTD clutch. I got one in my Accord that I Auto-X and It holds fine. I beat the piss out of that clutch and I've had no problems yet. And $200 more would be all the gauges I need for the car. How bout this.... Buy me a "real" clutch.

RCAnismo

Well I don't track it a lot but I've been twice now in a couple months so I might be getting addicted.....

Here is the link to the video of this last time at the track against an '07 Jaguar XK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQjiL6Q9j4

carmo

Cool video. Any mods? 14.3 isn't bad.

RCAnismo

Thanks man, My best time was a 14.1 Everything is completely stock right now except for the wheels. Looking to get air intake, spacer, exhaust and possibly headers, and racing clutch.

Does anyone know what's the difference between stages in racing clutches? Say between Stage 5 or Stage 3?

carmo

Well, I guess the "fake" stage three clutch I have is 6 pucks with a sprung hub and I don't know the horsepower rating is. Try this.http://www.vitekperformance.co...h.asp

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

RCAnismo you were at the STL event in ohio huh.....That is two people on the forum that i saw there. I was in the stands when you were doing those passes and was stoked when you beat a 80K $(guessing) car. Nice runs and a real clean Z. If i see you there next year i will make sure to say hi

RCAnismo

Carmo: Thanks for the link, very nice.

Nelson, Thanks man, That is the second one of those events I went too. Good times. I'm sure I'll make it to some next year too. Definitely say hi.

mexicanracer03
Car: 95 S15FRONTEND SR20DET and 97 2JZ GT4294/ 93 SC300 Black/ 95 SC300 Green

thanks for the awsome tips Bro...... I will def. try your technique

justjuiceit4

MeanGreenS13 wrote: And a 2.1 60 foot is absolutely PATHETIC!, i can do a 1.8 all day long on street tires with my technicque. it works perfectly.
Since this thread was brought back from the dead.... I never got a response from MeanGreenS13. He said that I was pathetic for getting a 2.1 60 foot time in a bone stock 1998, factory tire, open diff Sentra. If you can get a 1.8 with this set-up then I will admit I am pathetic. However, I think you are the one who is pathetic for comparing your 60 foot time acheived with car with twice the power and rwd!
Modified by justjuiceit4 at 1:01 AM 1/12/2009

Return to “Nissan Drag Racing Forum”