Need help finding steering spindle bushing part

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
eyedeekay
Car: 2006 Infiniti m35

Hi guys, currently I am replacing a significant portion of the front suspension. While I was doing the driver side, I noticed I was unable to remove the steering spindle nut that connects to the lower control arm. Upon further inspection: https://imgur.com/a/n86q39J

The nut is literally stuck on the bushing, and the bushing is loose and spinning like a bearing :frown:

I was attempting to find this bushing but I cant find any info or part number. If I buy used spindle, should it just come with this bushing already installed typically? Thank you

EdBwoy

I hope you got some movement on it by now.
In case not (and possibly for future purposes) I believe you are talking about the bushing in the steering knuckle that steadies the lower control arm ball joint.
It is conical btw.

Here are some pointers for the job:
1. To help a spinning bushing like that, I just find a way to put pressure on the joint, for example by putting a jack under the knuckle, then try turning it.
2. If you buy a used control arm, it will possibly come with that cone still attached.
3. Used control arms can be a gamble - test the ball joints properly, along with the bushings.
4. If you buy a new control arm, it will most certainly NOT come with the cone attached. Video discussing new control arms
5. You can remove your old cone and reuse it, it's just metal after all. Cone removal video
6. If you choose to buy brand new, the ball joint bushing for the front is part # 40173-EG000, and for the rear it's part # 40173-33P00.
7. Other control arm videos that might be helpful to some - Click link to see youtube playlist

eyedeekay

EdBwoy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 am
I hope you got some movement on it by now.
In case not (and possibly for future purposes) I believe you are talking about the bushing in the steering knuckle that steadies the lower control arm ball joint.
It is conical btw.

Here are some pointers for the job:
1. To help a spinning bushing like that, I just find a way to put pressure on the joint, for example by putting a jack under the knuckle, then try turning it.
2. If you buy a used control arm, it will possibly come with that cone still attached.
3. Used control arms can be a gamble - test the ball joints properly, along with the bushings.
4. If you buy a new control arm, it will most certainly NOT come with the cone attached. Video discussing new control arms
5. You can remove your old cone and reuse it, it's just metal after all. Cone removal video
6. If you choose to buy brand new, the ball joint bushing for the front is part # 40173-EG000, and for the rear it's part # 40173-33P00.
7. Other control arm videos that might be helpful to some - Click link to see youtube playlist
Hey Ed, just want to thank you for your videos, I was able to remove the nut via caliper piston, and use a bushing puller like in your cone bushing video. The cone bushing was still good so I reused them.

Now i do not if I should start a new thread, but I am having a new problem. Due to a series of events I had to reinstall my steering rack twice, and now for some reason:

Slip light is on
Afs light blinking
Vdc light on

Would you know if bad alignment causes these lights to turn on? Im getting an alignment tomorrow regardless

Thanks again!

EdBwoy

Sorry for the late reply, but yes! Those lights do come on with alignment issues, which includes the steering angle sensor being "centered".

And thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to get the bulk of the job done. An alignment should get you squared.

eyedeekay

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 am
Sorry for the late reply, but yes! Those lights do come on with alignment issues, which includes the steering angle sensor being "centered".

And thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to get the bulk of the job done. An alignment should get you squared.
Okay awesome thank you and all is good! I also think I accidently spun my steering wheel while the u joint when the steering rack was off, so I'm pretty sure I broke my clock spring. Horn and steering wheel buttons not working. I would do it myself but I'm not too confident of handling the airbag

For anyone doing their steering rack, don't make a newby mistake like me and make sure you lock your steering wheel in place!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”