Need Help Engine Dies Randomly

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Mustang64p
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 regular Cab

Hello everyone, My 720 has been acting strange lately. Upon normal driving my engine will randomly die. As in im accelerating and the engine just cuts off sometimes it will jerk depending in my speed, so i engage clutch drop a gear and pop it and it fires back up but will do it again another mile or so down the road and this cycle will go on as long as i want as in it wont finally just die for good. Now I'm pretty sure its not fuel related as it starts up immediately so if there was a fuel pump or clogged filter I'd think it would have to turn over a few times before it would start again. I'm thinking it may be electrical. I replaced plugs and wires and it does the same thing. Could it be my coils? Distributor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm Lost. Thanks.

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

I would think fuel system because the electrical usually does not self correct by popping the clutch.

Radio Ron
Car: 1985 720 Pickup

I fought a similar problem with my 720 for several months.It would die, but would start right back up.The shop kept it for a week at a time for several visitsand could never find the cause. It would always start rightback up.FINALLY it died and stayed dead, they found the fuel pump not working. Replaced it with one from Advanced Auto parts,it only worked a couple of days, got another one, same problem,finally got one from Nissan. It's been running perfectly ever since.

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I am totally voting fuel pump. Sounds like the beginning of the end as it were. You may also have some gunk in your lines.....I recently almost emptied my tank and ended up with some stuff in the lines that caused some dying until I got it flushed out.

I would doubt that your issue is electrical, as the truck runs, and electrical is kind of a yes or no thing....rarely is it intermittent like that.

Mustang64p

Thanks for the info so far. I will say the fuel pump idea is sounding more and more feasable. Let me ask this I did a little more troubleshooting, and discovered that it only does it after the truck has been running approximately 5-10 minutes. When its cold it runs no problem but after it warms up..... Also I noticed that at night while driving my instrument cluster lights sort of pulse very slightly. Now I honestly didnt pay attention to whether or not it did that before my problem either. Also my factory voltage gage constantly bounces between about 10-14 like 2-3 times a second. Now the problem is like i said im not sure if these are new symptoms or related to my issue. I never realize how little i pay attention to these things untill a problem pops up. Given all of this do you guys think its related or is this typical for these trucks? and for the record I am eyeing a new fuel pump, if everyone still thinks that may be the problem.

cajunl

Get an voltmeter and start checking. I would start at the fuel pump. Then check the battery.

Under your glove box is a fuel pump control relay. It shuts off the fuel pump in case of no oil pressure or a collision. You will not find it in the manual. If you are losing power to the pump I would try the relay.

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I will say that almost every older car I have owned does the dash light flicker a bit....I think it is older power management. In my Mustang, I used to be able to actually make it brighter by revving the engine.

The rest....well, a volt meter is going to be your friend for chasing down your electrical ghosts. I still would start at the pump.

Mustang64p

i think you all are right its voltmeter time at my house. and thanks for the tip on the fuel control relay that is a great place to start. I'll let you guys know what happens. im going out of town next week but it will priority one when i get back. thanks again.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Could some one who knows about using voltmeters make write-up in the technical section about general use and maybe some tips and things not to do.

Just trying to get more info myself and flush out the tech section with diy and write ups.

bellerive

had the same problem many years . There is a fuel sensor right passenger side side kick panel?????

($17 part from Nissan dealer) stalling never happened agian in last 5 years .

Chatty
Car: Datsun 720

Had this problem a few times, usually it just means the fuel filter needs to be changed, but it could have something to do with the fuel pump.

madro720datsun

Have the same problem with my 84 datsun 720 pickup, changed the fuel pump, still same problem, check voltage at fuel pump when truck stop running, No voltage, book for truck do not show location of fuel pump relay, ran a wire from battery to pump with a switch, when ever the truck shut down, turn on switch, truck run great, now knowing the relay is under the grove compartment , I can fit the problem , thank you.

Return to “Datsun 720”