Need Help Breaking-in Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
SVersaS
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8S

Hey everbody, just found this site, and i was wondering whether i could get some help. My dad just bought me a new versa s (at) and i should be getting it within a week or so to replace my old 94 taurus. Not really worried about driving it as much as i am about my driving habits. My dad doesnt know but i got a reeeeally heavy lead foot. I literallly wore out my dads old taurus by flooring so many times and weaving through traffic on highways or atleast i think thats what did it in. anyway, i dont wanna do the same thing to the versa especially cuz i know it isnt a very fast car. Im so used to the v6 on the taurus and i dont want to ruin the engine on the versa since i know its a lot smaller. What is the max speed I should drive it? and for how many miles. I'm really gonna try and drive better but old habits die hard. Oh yea, can i have a couple opinions? Does flooring your car really ruin your transmission or does it just affect ur fuel economy. I wanna know if my driving habits was really the reason why the taurus got worn out. I have so mnay friends that drive so aggressive but nothing ever happens to their cars. I dont know maybe its jus cuz its an american car :P Thanks.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

When you get your car, read the owners manual. There is a section about breaking in a new engine.

Basically you need to take it easy on the car for at least 1200-1500 miles.

Flooring the versa won't get you anything anyway so you just have to be patient and realize you're not in a race car. Basically drive like a grown-up.

Ben

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Depending on the design of the engine, repeated red-lining may well be detrimental. Some engines will start to bend connecting rods if they regularly go too high. And while the flooring itself may not be a problem for the transmission, the increased temperature from the friction is most certainly NOT good for it.

Think of a few things here...Sports cars and race cars are all designed with more expensive, stronger parts. Often times they will have external oil and transmission coolers to bleed off the excess heat of extreme driving. And race car engines (NASCAR, etc.) are usually torn down and rebuilt after every single race.

Furthermore, let's think about time here:Say you have a trip to make that, at speed limit, will take you 30 minutes to get there. Say the speed limit is 60. In order to get there at any sort of significantly faster rate, say 15 minutes earlier, you would have to be going 120 mph the whole time. Needless to say, not safe to do on public highways, and your local law enforcement probably wouldn't appreciate it too much.

As Ben said, be gentle for the first 1200 or so miles.

And while you're doing that, time your regular trips. You'll probably find that once you DO decide to become a speed demon again, that you're not really saving yourself time. And there would be more incentive to drive like a normal person all the time.

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

evervictorious has a very good point. especially about the law! I know for damn sure My Troopers would be pretty pissed.

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

SVersaS,

I got a plan.

Get a job. Pay your own insurance, gas and upkeep.

Not only do you start taking care of the car, but you turn into a responsible human being. Thus, you grow up and have a nice car at the same time.

SVersaS

Haha, I never usually go more than 80 but you do have a point, thanks for your help Ever Victorious.

SVersaS

OKVersa wrote:SVersaS,

I got a plan.

Get a job. Pay your own insurance, gas and upkeep.

Not only do you start taking care of the car, but you turn into a responsible human being. Thus, you grow up and have a nice car at the same time.
Haha, thanks i get the point

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

SVersa,

Thank you for taking that in the spirit in which it was intended. I'm impressed you get it!!

will1911a1
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 S

Going easy on the car has the added benefit of getting better gas mileage too.

Althalus
Car: '07 Nissan Versa Hatch SL CVT

Ever Victorious wrote:Depending on the design of the engine, repeated red-lining may well be detrimental. Some engines will start to bend connecting rods if they regularly go too high. And while the flooring itself may not be a problem for the transmission, the increased temperature from the friction is most certainly NOT good for it.

Think of a few things here...Sports cars and race cars are all designed with more expensive, stronger parts. Often times they will have external oil and transmission coolers to bleed off the excess heat of extreme driving. And race car engines (NASCAR, etc.) are usually torn down and rebuilt after every single race.

Furthermore, let's think about time here:Say you have a trip to make that, at speed limit, will take you 30 minutes to get there. Say the speed limit is 60. In order to get there at any sort of significantly faster rate, say 15 minutes earlier, you would have to be going 120 mph the whole time. Needless to say, not safe to do on public highways, and your local law enforcement probably wouldn't appreciate it too much.

As Ben said, be gentle for the first 1200 or so miles.

And while you're doing that, time your regular trips. You'll probably find that once you DO decide to become a speed demon again, that you're not really saving yourself time. And there would be more incentive to drive like a normal person all the time.
You know, my dad keeps saying that to me too; there's really no point in speeding, you'll end up getting there @ the same time anyway.

I just like to go fast

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Althalus wrote:
You know, my dad keeps saying that to me too; there's really no point in speeding, you'll end up getting there @ the same time anyway.

I just like to go fast
So do I. But a public highway is not the time or place to do it.

I may occasionally, on an wide open, traffic-free, winding road, get a little "spirited" but that's actually why I autocross... so I can get it out of my system in a safe, controlled environment. Plus autocrossers are generally cool people.

Althalus

Oh good lord no, I can't speed on the highway. I mean, after living and driving in NY I can weave like the best of them, it's the only way to get anywhere. Here in GA however the cops are alot touger on people w/o a southern accent, and there isn't nearly any traffic, so I normally only go around 10+ on the interstate.

On my way to school? It's basically an open road for a good 30 miles.

SVersaS

wow, ny to ga, thats tough, i live in jerzy so i've been in and out of ny, i find its real easy to drive fast and weave away and get away with it. Probably cuz its so crowded and b/c theres always someone going just as fast or faster. That's why i drive fast and cuz its fun :yesno

Althalus

WEll, I guess i could've too, but I had one near crash too many in NY to do it anymore.

versabundus
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Tell dad to get you a 4cyl. Jeep Wrangler. Can't hurt it, and I doubt you'll be speeding or weaving.

Return to “Versa General Chat”