Need help bad. KA24DE timing cover.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
RipCityVance
Car: 1997 Altima GXE

So I've got a 97 Altima in need of a new timing chain. I already have all of the parts (new chain kit, gaskets, etc.) and I have pretty much everything torn apart except I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the lower timing cover off. I dropped the oil pan and disconnected the pickup tube but I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off. I actually just made this account so I could get help so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Here's a few pictures:

Top view, cover pretty much completely out.

Side view (sorry it's sideways), cover disconnected, crankshaft preventing me from prying the cover out.

Bottom view, I've circled what's getting caught in blue, the red line is the bottom of the cover.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

hmm, I don't recall having a problem with mine... you might have to just pull/angle it out so it clears everything.

But you're saying you can pull the whole thing off like what, 1/2" from the front of the block, and then it gets caught up?

EdGs

On the 2000 Altima GXE I did, I had to drop the crossmember about a half inch to get the lower cover to clear the crankshaft. And then it was just barely enough room to clear the crankshaft and remove downward and toward the front. You shouldn't have to pry anything to get it out.

Did you remove the upper section of the oil pan also? It has to be done in order to get the cover out through the bottom. I don't think you can remove it from the top at all. From your last picture, it looks like you haven't removed that yet. You have to support the engine and remove the crossmember and the transmission mount, then remove the upper oil pan, then you can reinstall the mount and crossmember to help support the engine. I think it is best to do this before removing the top engine mount. The Haynes book has decent instructions on this.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”