Need Anti-Sway Bars and Coil Springs-2016 Versa Note

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
gmansyz
Car: 2016, Nissan Versa Note

Okay, I need some place to get these parts to stop my 2016 Versa Note from weaving, wallowing, and feeling like it will tip over as I am already getting sick from it and it only has 600 miles on it.
Where to get a rear Anti-Sway bar? And a thicker front unit?
And a higher rate of coil springs for all four corners will help as well. I really need a firmer ride but am not ready to get coil overs for it.
Any cold air intake available?
And why won't parts for an older Versa not fit? Did Nissan really change it all that much????
Tnx
G

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi gmansyz, welcome to NICO Club!

Yeah, the Versa is kind of a marshmallow on wheels in the handling department. At least it's all predictable body roll and such. I mean, it's not the result of loose connections and worn parts. I've enjoyed tearing around some mountain roads in it and even passing a few more timid cars!

I don't mind the stock setup for our Versa, so I haven't shopped around for aftermarket parts. Lower profile tires, stiffer springs and sway bars should help. If you were to replace rubber bushings for urethane in some locations, such as the sway bar mounts, that would stiffen things up a hair as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by where to get parts for a car. I'd shop the internet. But that seems so obvious I don't think it's what you're asking. FR-Sport is a great online shop with helpful customer service. I see they have some spring sets for the Versa. If you call and ask, they could tell you if they have sways and other bits as well. They're very nice people. Also, I think you might qualify for a 10% discount just by mentioning that your a member here at NICO!

I don't see sway bars on there after flipping through a few pages. I did a search and found that Whiteline made some for earlier models. Maybe they have one in the works for this newer model.

Why did they change the chassis for the Versa after a few years? I suppose Nissan would know the specifics of an actual answer. Generational upgrades are a way of life for a car model. They evolve over time and it's the historical norm, but like I said, I don't know why. Hopefully, it's all for the sake of improvement and not for the sake of penny pinching and corner cutting.

gmansyz

Hello NICO club, thanks for having me.
And thanks for sharing Coastal.
And thanks to this site I learned about my 2016 Note. Was redesigned in 2014 and based on the redesigned 2013 Versa Sedan.
Any way to download the factory service manual?
I seem to be susceptible to motion sickness than most. Just trying to make do.
I need a firmer ride to ease it.
I now know why, but what did they change in the suspension and what older parts could fit my 2016?
I have searched and bugged many on the internet in my quest. No one has a rear away bar for the car. Though somewhere I saw a universal fit bar. May get down and go with the three piece bar and fan stuff up. I just did not want to do this yet. It only has 700 miles now. Was fine for the first 200. And isn't the torsion beam rear suspension supposed to act like a torsion bar?
I found many coil over conversions. Am seriously tempted but cannot afford $1100 And no way to justify it to the wifey. Plus, am not really sure it will solve my problems. Maybe the adjustable damping will help?
Also found several different lowering springs. These should help with lowering the center of gravity and theoretically should reduce the sway. Tempted to get the Oramge, Megan Racing ones as they are only $130. And I feel a 2 inch lowering may be too much. Also found $63 a piece KYB gas struts on Rock Auto. Assembled. I assume with stock springs? These could work.
As for lower profile tires, again, only 700 miles on the car. Hard to justify a $1000 for new tires and wheels. I am thinking to give them a little more pressure to form them up as well. Anyone else have nitrogen in them? How do you feel about that? I think it is a gimmick as when has anyone ever had a tire rot from the inside out?
Not quite worth messing with the stock away bar and poly urethane bushings as may as well try to get a thicker bar.
So my plan now is to try and relax until it cools down here in NC. Then remove the wheels and take measurements with pictures and figure out what I got in stock spring rates and stock suspension. Then formulate a plan. When turnong, the front is what seems to lean more so maybe just the front is the problem?
And may need to fan up my own cold air intake too.
Really just wanted bolt on parts. No engineering. I am trying to save my money for a 2014 V-8 Camaro.
Now anyone else think the center round wanna be gauge is useless and stupid? I leave it on the miles to time to get gas as the rest don't anything and are not accurate anyway. Especially the immediate gas mileage gauge? It cannot decide what you are actually getting as it is constantly changing. Why not an engine temperature readout? Or engine oil or teans temp gauge??? Are you listening Nissan??? Or maybe radio info?
Funny thing is my 1984 Toyota Tercel had Chapman struts in the back and lower A arms with a away bar so I do not know how EVERYONE is thinking this torsion beam rear is better. Is just CHEAP.
Okay, thank you for listening.
Laters
Greg

centralcoaster33

Useful gauges have been replaced by dummy lights for decades. You're lucky to have a speedometer! Also, check that thing out. Ours was off by more than 10mph when we first got it! My wife was basically cruising around at 55, thinking she was doing 65 and getting passed like crazy and feeling annoyed. It was re-adjusted at the dealership under a TSB at the time. Ours is an older one though, so possibly not an issue any more with the new ones.

I haven't looked under the car on the newer ones, but if you have a trailing arm type rear suspension with a big torsion bar connecting them, then there will be no sway bar for you in the rear. That's good news because it saves you money. Feeling the car tilt more on the front end does make sense with the rear being held together as tight as it is. So, a thicker sway will come with new bushings and will help flatten out that end of the car a bit.

Stiffer spring rates will reduce movement and will reduce shock absorption. The will also put extra strain on the dampers. Go too far out of spec with spring rates and you'll blow the dampers quick. I don't know how much tolerance we get with such numbers. I use a 10% change as a rule of thumb. A benefit of getting a kit like 'coilovers' is that the damping rate is matched up to the spring rate. Lowering will affect the effective travel length of the dampers and suspension in general. These cars have huge wheel wells for small tires, so there's plenty of room to lower a few inches and still not be slammed.

Higher tire pressure and alternate gasses will not help you with your goal.

I don't think everything has changed on the newer models, just some things. So, there is a chance that certain parts will fit both the old and the new. Verifying fitment with the manufacturer seems like a good idea.

What's wrong with the CAI's already for sale? Or are they for previous versions and don't fit yours?

gmansyz

CAI's?
What did I miss?
G

gmansyz

Okay, are you taking about Cold Air Intakes?
I have found a load of them. But, nearly all are for the earlier models. Save for two of which both are short rams. Putting the filter above the battery-Injen, or right behind the radiator-GO Performance. Not really much of a cold air system when you pull in got under good air from behind the radiator. May get the cheaper one and mod it. Some big tubing to cover the filter and some bends to get air from the small open area of grill to the right of the radiator. Now just waiting a few months to stop melting when in the garage to start measuring the car up.
Tnx
G

centralcoaster33

Yeah, I was, but I was picturing short ram in my head and used the wrong term... oops! I'm guessing some of the older ones should fit the newer cars, but it's a total guess. Getting verification from manufacturers or others who have experience would be recommended.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. The car's body roll when turning. So I was wondering if you've considered the affordable adjustment of driving technique? Have you ever been told to turn sooner? That might be a helpful method. Just starting to turn the wheel sooner than you normally do can make a big difference in your cars suspension behavior. Not the same turn, not as sharp, because if you turn sooner, but just as sharp, you clip the corner you would have normally had. So, you turn sooner and start more slight and gradual, building up to the full turn position you'd have at apex. This smooths out the inputs and therefor smooths out the ride and reduces body roll. I won't suggest taking turns slower... that's ridiculous! :)

gmansyz

Okay, nothing about setting the chassis by braking and then starting turning?
But enough about driving technique, this is not my problem.
My problem is the wallowing, weaving, and just leaning.
I am talking to FR and They they are helping tremendously. I am looking at lowering springs.
But the biggest benefit I think will be firmed damping gas has struts and shocks.
Plus also always looking to see about unloading the car.
Tnx
G

centralcoaster33

Nah, everyone knows about the braking... I skipped ahead a few chapters of technique for you.
Just kidding kind of. It was input I got from an instructor at the track and it helped with exactly what you describe, reducing lateral roll. It was advice for me and my driving and it helped me personally, so I shared in hopes to help, not insult. YMMV. :)

Yeah, FR are super helpful imho. You might leave the intake alone if you're looking to unload the car. There will be no return on that sort of investment. I'm thinking the same for the suspension. But, if the suspension works nice, flattens out the ride like you're looking for, then will you consider keeping it longer? I guess waiting for that before other upgrades might be a good idea.

I was thinking about your body roll issues and comparing my Versa to other cars and thinking it's not that different from other commuters. It's not even the worst I've felt (Honda Civic holds that title). So, I kind of wondered what you're comparing the handling to. What were you driving before the Note?

gmansyz

I am rather stuck with the car. No unloading no matter how bad so I am just trying to make the best of it. I had a 2008 Honda FIT. Was a leaner as well but did not make me sick. And even my '97 Geo Metro was not a handler by any means, it was a great car and no rolling or sway or problems. Just got totaled. I had a few first gen Dodge Challenger. Upped the torsion bar diameter from .875" to 1.2". Increased the wheel rate 300%. Now that was a firm ride.
I have an appointment tomorrow to make the Nissan Tech sick so just want to see how that goes but realistically do not expect anything to be done about it. Like really, what would they Do? Put in New struts? Then I am back in 500 miles with the same problem. Maybe I get lucky and the pay some or all of the aftermarket coil overs and struts. That would be nice but I am not holding my breath.
But since I am stuck with it, wifey approved the intake and suspension pieces so just saving right now. When it comes time to unload it, I will have save all the original parts so they can have them as well.
I am off to do some fabbing on my motorcycles. Prep one for foot peg assemblies and the other to see where the turbo will go.
Thanks All!
G

gmansyz

Okay, I have survived my trip to the dealership.
They told me it was within specs and never bothered to even try to understand what I was saying with the wallowing and getting motion sickness.
And rather than trying to help in anyway, they just tried to upsell me another, more expensive car. I did not want any luxury car but something that is controlled. The tech kept repeating the same thing without listening. Never bothering understanding. All I was trying to solve was the wallowing.
While I regret purchasing the Versa, it is a useful and decent car, I am stuck with it. I have solutions, thankfully, that will be applied when I can afford it.
I would say to stay away from Modern Nissan of Lake Norman. Their service or really poor.
Since they got their money, why bother with any after sale service? No effort to help from them.
Laters all.
G

centralcoaster33

Sorry to hear. I wondered if they'd determine a blown suspension or something. Like maybe it happened during transportation to the dealership or someone drove off a curb during a test drive. I guess it's all as it's supposed to be. I would have put it in the same handling group as the Fit and Metro, but I guess it's lower than that. It would have been nice if they listened to your complaint a bit. They should and could have done that. I wouldn't expect them to suggest modification solutions like a sway bar or anything, that would be weird from a dealership. They could have feigned interest and understand at least. I would expect them to suggest replacement solutions, which they did. No surprise there.

What FR sport says makes sense. Stiffer dampers. Paired with a thicker sway, should be helpful in flattening the ride. Lowering springs with higher rate will flatten it also, but will take away from the comfort when driving over bumps and holes.

gmansyz

Well, the whole dealing with Nissan experience was disappointing. The regional rep I spoke with this morning had little to say with saying that the dealer inspected it and seemed it okay and there was nothing else to say. I stated the dealer just wanted to get rid of me and I thought them saying it was okay was just a way to be done with me. No resolution. Now I may be black listed or at least labeled a problem customer and good luck getting any service after that. Such a sore backside now. I do not think I could even return to this dealer for any safety repairs either. How could I trust them? I should have researched more before hand. And maybe just to have dealt with a different dealer. Is not that the car is bad, I may be the one in a million who has the problem of getting motion sickness in the car. My wife has trouble with it as well. None of this eemed to matter. They did not even put it on a lift to check if anything could be loose.
This being said, I cannot wait to afford the new suspension goodies!! These are even more cool, if that is anything, as they have a threaded body so I can adjust ride height without lowering the spring preload and moving the pistopiston to a different position in the damper body. Should work very well.
Unfortunately, no away bars of any type are available so this is it.
Besides, once you factor in springs and then struts and shocks, you are like at $600 And the price I was quoted was just to fantastic to even think of the lesser alternative.
I will be getting the most bang for my bucks!!
Isn't ride quality relative? I will gladly sacrifice a smooth ride for throwing up in my car with poor control. Also, after driving it around, I started evaluating it more. The struts and shocks just do not have enough damping. With the few aftermarket replace ment struts having "stock" setting and control, I thought why even waste my time with them? I wonder if it will need readjustment of the steering rods. As they are the only adjustable anything on the car.
Laters Y'all!!
G

gmansyz

I did want to say, that since I am stuck with it, I will make the best of it. It is Not a bad car, just a few issues. I was hoping that buying a New car, that I would not have to work on it or mess with it. So much for that idea.
G

centralcoaster33

I don't know if the Note can get as much space as the sedan, but we've amazed ourselves (wife and myself) with what kinds of stuff we can fit into our Versa! We take out the back seat cushion and have taken home huge stuff for the house, new framed doors and door jams, long trim pieces, hauls to the landfill, craftsman roller tool chest, storage shed kit, furniture assembled or kit, a futon, the list goes on... It's our reliable commuter, so we use it for vacation trips and high mileage stuff. I take it to the mountains for snowboarding during the winter. I take the back seat out and sleep in there the night before boarding. I'm 6'1" and sleep comfortable laying flat and straight with head near glove box and feet in the trunk (no curling up!).

gmansyz

Cool!!! A versatile car for sure. I am not so tall but need the space for moving my m/c to the welders. Plus, it looks like I may also be able to get 8 foot boards in three so it is good. The sedan is actually longer isn't it? Nissan could have designed it a little better in my opinion. Make the gas tank under the front seats, lower the rear seats a little so the seat backs can be folded down and be flush with the rear area. No step. And make the whole rear tub, the spare tire well, lower, so the spare tire can be inside the car and not exposed to the elements. A bad deal there. Could be corroded and flat when you need it most. Not to mention difficult to get to when you actually have a flat.
My car has the 1600, the older ones were 1800 and probably more responsive. Anyone try a turbo?
Laters
G

centralcoaster33

No step! That would've been great for my sleeping situation. The step is right about mid-thigh for me. :) I've actually contemplated making a foam insert to put in there, but I haven't gotten my round tuit yet. Our spare is in the trunk as well. I didn't know that about the note. Our engine is pretty small and the car has been dubbed "La Tortuga Negra"!

gmansyz

Is that "Black Death Racer"? Just kidding. No idea what it means.
Nissan put a cover that can be raised. Called it some kind of security bidet or something. It raises the floor up to the height of where the seat backs are when they are folded down. Rather useless idea. But what can you expect from a bottom market car?
I removed mine. It is flimsy and would break if I put anything heavy on it anyway.
Oh well.
Laters
g

centralcoaster33

It means "The Black Turtle" (or Tortoise)! We lean forward and yell "TORTUGA!!!" as we floor it for an on-ramp, hoping to get up to the flow of traffic speed by the time we merge. I'm in California and forget not everyone speaks a little "spanglish". BTW, leaning forward helps you accelerate a bit more. I learned that from my dad. :bigthumb:

gmansyz

Sorry, I forgot all of it from my 23 years living in SoCal. Used to make racing pistons.
Yep, leaning forwards helps.
Laters
G

gmansyz

cc33, did you put bigger wheels on your Versa? I have been looking at 17 X 7's and 18 X 7's with 215's. As the 16 X 6's are not very inspiring. I think to get five wheels so I replace the compact spare as well and sell off these old wheels.
Thoughts?
G

centralcoaster33

Ours is all stock still. I think it has 15" steelies. The wheel gap is huge from an aesthetic perspective. The wheels are so far away from the fender that I can't even notice the sunken battleship of an offset. The rubber absorbs some of the rough pavement. I don't think it adds much to body roll. I do know that bigger tires and wheels are often heavier (and all un-sprung weight). So, more energy to get them spinning makes for less mileage per gallon of gas. The weight would also make your suspension work harder. Lighter rims are great, but very expensive (mags and Rays and such). Lower profile tires also start to raise the price of new rubber each time you need to replace them. 17"s are often a good compromise. I'd shop that size and pay attention to weight.

As often as a spare tire gets used, I don't recommend the extra $$ for a fifth wheel and tire combo. The extra tire width will likely make it not fit into the spare tire compartment (ours is in the trunk, I think you said yours is underneath, so maybe that's different for you). Heck, lot's of cars are just coming with a can of fix-a-flat these days. That's actually all I have in the 240. I figure a can of fix-a-flat for flats, or two full size spare tires for drifting adventures. Reducing weight for gas mileage would have me leaning towards the can, no spare, keep the jack stand handy and have AAA roadside assistance.

gmansyz

Awesome ideas. Maybe I will do the same with fix a flat. Did research. 17's and 18's in aluminum weigh less than 15 incher steels.
Yup, spare underneath. Though there is still a depression so maybe I can do something in the interior.
Yes on rotating mass but larger wheel means tire weighs a little less.
Not ready to buy just yet unless I find a buyer for the original wheels. I want to see how the spare fits the depression. As it sits now, it hangs underneath and really is a stupid design if you need to take it out. Plus, where do you put the flat tire?
Not ready yet.
Laters
G

gmansyz

Okay, more troubles.
Been smelling coolant a lot. Hosed the radiator and such off a couple of times and still smell it. So back to the dealer to see if anything is loose or cracked.
And, of all things, paint is chipping from the front surround of tje body where it meets the good.
Geez, with 1030 miles, I am really frustrated. I suspect that the plastic was not properly prepped for painting. Will have the dealer look at it as well. Tuesday morning.
Wonder if they will just pan me as well or will try to fix it. I think to have them change the oil and filter at the same time.
Laters
G

centralcoaster33

We got our first and second chip pretty quick, but we chipped it by hitting stuff. It didn't just flake off or whatever on it's own.

It's way too early for coolant issues of any sort! I hope you get that resolved real quick and that there's a good explanation for it. Such as, the guy who test drove your car to feel the body rolling and wallowing had stepped into a large puddle of coolant before stepping into your car.

gmansyz

At dealer now. First explanation was that vent is the culprit. The y pressure tested it and it hold pressure so it is okay. Their assurance.
The paint coming off requires me to leave it with them for two days. They even said I get a loaner.
I felt better with this visit, got good communication with the people and good explanations. And even some understanding.
So, I drop it next week Tuesday morning. Only problem is while I cannot afford another car, I am looking at a Toyota Corolla IM. Just to tired, frustrated and stressed about this piece of junk and poor service. Would rather spend the $1,500 on a better car than modify this car. And no way will I got 30 miles to get it services even if the dealer actually cares about it's customers.
Anyway, I keep you updated on if I get this I'M.
Laters.
G

gmansyz

Okay, the Corolla IM was not worth the $8400 more that I would have to pay on top of my trade in Versa.
So, looks like back to original plan. Spend my money fixing my Versa.
After test driving the IM, I was disappointed in several ways. Back seat leg space. Gotta give the Versa a nod on that. The have nearly the same wheelbase but much better use in the Versa. Plus, the gauges in the IM are harder to read and not so inspiring. Not is the power of the engine. Versa a wee bit faster and stronger than the Toyota. I guess with the 600 pounds more that the Toyota carries are just too much for the near 30 more horsepower and 2 tenths of a liter larger engine. Now the suspension was loads better. No twisting trailing arm rear. They say double wishbone. No wallowing or rolling.
So, in due time I hope to appreciate my Note more. Especially after I tune it up. I also hope to get tires and wheels too. When I have money to spend.
I will try to get a second opinion on the suspension and coolant smell. Supposedly, the catch tank venting was changed for the 2017 Versa. Maybe they can retro fit mine?
And rhe fuel filler pipe runs parallel to the ground. I am considering cutting and giving it a vertical angle so I do not struggle filling it. The low part traps bubbles and create a a bottle neck.
And I bought it so I do not need to work on it.
Thanks for listening.
Laters You'All.
G

centralcoaster33

Yeah, $8,400 sounds more accurate after driving it off the lot. It sounds like you're at least willing to make the best of your situation. I can respect that for sure. Interesting that the IM has better handling. I did read about the engine and CVT option and figured that car would be kind of weak. I expect weak in a little commuter car though. I also wouldn't get a CVT. I'm curious about that coolant smell. I have a good nose and it would bother me. We don't have anything like that in our Versa. What do you mean catch tank venting? Those are typically oil related and you were on the topic of coolant I thought. Also, your flat fuel filler comment is interesting. You struggle to put gas in the car? Does NC use a different style pump than the rest of the USA? I had a rental car that had some sort of new, capless fuel filling thing. It didn't lock in with the pump nozzle very well so I just held the pump handle until it was full. Some sort of Ford I think.

gmansyz

Hiya cc33,
Well, I need to make the best of it as I cannot afford to be buying another car I do not really want. Gots to save for the Camaro. And Wifey will inherit it later on so it is okay. Especially after I fix it's issues.
The IM has not quite 30 horsepower and 20 pound feet of torque more than the Versa, which is not enough to overcome the 500 more pounds it carries. The Versa Note has a CVT as well. Though why the manufacturers want to give a stepless transmission steps defeats it purpose. I would rather have a short low gear, a lot of torque, and instant response to be able to pull out smartly from a stop when needed.
I hated the IM gauge cluster. Difficult to see and read plus too many electronic nanny things that I would just turn off.
The worst is that they have the exact same wheelbase but yet when the front seats are adjusted so I fit, barely 5ft 6in, there is nearly no space for the back seat passengers. And you need to remove the head rests to fold the rear seat backs down. Poor design all the way. And while I am not happy about having to replace the suspension on a near new car, I feel loads better about it and it will perform much better than the compromises from the factory. And better than the Corolla IM.
The coolant overflow catch can/tank was changed when the Versa was revised in 2013/14. It is a bad design no doubt to save money. The vent is at the top, as a small notch or groove that the cap does not close off. No rubber seal either. No hose to run down to the lower part of the chassis. I think to epoxy it up, put a gasket and add a pipe threaded hose barb to run a rubber hose way down past the chassis. Hopefully, no more stinky. As the dealer could not do anything for it. Bad because if there is a problem, you would never know as you always smell coolant.
I tried to take a picture of the fuel filler pipe but you cannot see it so easily and I do not know how to post it so, I will try to describe it.
Filler is on tje left side of car behind and above the rear wheel. It goes down and back to the rear of the car. Thru a large sized radius, it moves forwards, parallel to the grond about two feet before curving to the rigjt slightly to meet thw rubber connector to the gas tank. If you saw it, you would think it totally nuts!! I thought maybe to keep it safe if you blew a tire but really, it does not look any safer in it's present, circumventous path. I think to get one from Rock Auto and have it shortend, straightens and welded to work properly. Now I thought the cars are built for California and then sold everywhere else. There is a an evaporative box on the left under rear bumper, but that does not hinder anything. I will leave it alone.
If you wondered about the handling, the double wishbone of the IM does not do the funny side ways hop the torsion beam does when it hits a bump. The solid rear axle cars do this as well. Most people never notice this not care. It is just super cheap to make. I thought about making my own but use Chapman struts and the front suspension arms, but rrally, a little too much fabbing that I do not have time for. Maybe a simpler bolt in design would work better. Perhaps if/When I lower the spare tire well? It could bolt to the bottom of that. Will sell. And nixed the turbo too. Maybe in a year or two? Steal some salvage yard pieces off a turbo Sentra? Or maybe the whole drive line? Including the engine, CVT trans, half shafts, computer and wiring harness. And convert to a cable throttle.
Okay, a little too much dreaming.
Laters
G

gmansyz

New fuel mileage. 29.71 mpg.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”