Need Another Key

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MRMoonraker

Looking to get another entry/ignition key for a Rogue with remote key fob, but not IntelliKey.

It looks like I should be able to take my original to my local key maker and have one made up. (Note: It doesn't have to have the remote features, just open the door and start the car.)

But the owners manual talks about needing to visit the dealer and have the existing keys re-programmed with a dealer supplied new key.

I am just trying to skip the experience and the cost at the dealer, is that possible for a non-remote (a.k.a. manual) key?

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

From my understanding, you need an intelligent key to start the car once you have one installed. I had a weird experience where I started my Rogue, went into my house with the key, came back out and drove away, and the entire time the key light was flashing. I pulled over and turned off the car and tried to start it and it didn't work! I took the manual key out and it still wouldn't let me turn the ignition over. It took a few minutes, and me getting in and out of the car before it finally recognized the key again.

So I'm not sure just a regular key would do, otherwise a screwdriver would work just as easily. Also, if you have a Canadian model, of course you need to deal with the immobilizer which requires a special radio chip to start the car no matter what.

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

My neighbor just purchased a used domestic pickup (two years old) and wanted a spare key made to hide under the bumper. He headed up to the local key shack to get the $1.50 key made. He got home, put the new key in the ignition and the truck wouldn't start. At ALL. Wouldn't turn over or anything. I gave him my OBDII scanner to check for codes but nothing popped up. 300 bucks and a flat bed tow truck to the dealer later he learned that the stock keys that came with the truck each had a microchip in them and when he stuck the el cheapo aftermarket key in and tried to start it, it totaly disabled his ignition and power system. Some of these newer cars have microchips in the keys, and while I am not sure about the Rogue's keys, you better make sure first or you may risk the same out of pocket expenses and hassle that my neighbor went through. HTH

MRMoonraker

Dealer confirmed the presence of an embedded chip in the key and indicated that a hardware store key would open the door but not start the car.

And attempting to start with a foreign key would also scramble the security system requiring a dealer visit to reset.

I just became aware of a "valet" key. Has anyone ordered one of these and can supply pricing?

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

MRMoonraker wrote:Looking to get another entry/ignition key for a Rogue with remote key fob, but not IntelliKey.

It looks like I should be able to take my original to my local key maker and have one made up. (Note: It doesn't have to have the remote features, just open the door and start the car.)

But the owners manual talks about needing to visit the dealer and have the existing keys re-programmed with a dealer supplied new key.

I am just trying to skip the experience and the cost at the dealer, is that possible for a non-remote (a.k.a. manual) key?
If your car has an Ikey, there is no way to get JUST a key made. The thing most people don't understand is that the programming for the Ikey is not in the actual key itself, but in the FOB. The small key insert is so you can open the door in case your battery dies and that's about it. The procedure you are referring to requires you connecting the Consult III to the car and going through a 50 or so step (I kid you not) sequence to program the fob. You MUST have all fobs in the car, because once the sequence is started, all the keys are cleared in the BCM. The car's codes CANNOT be checked with a generic OBDII scan tool because the system doesn't recognize the language the old scan tools use.

As far as disabling the car, the codes you get, I can't remember the exact codes off hand, but one is difference of key, which means you tried to use a key that isn't programmed to the car. The second code is a chain of immu, which means you tried to use the key multiple times and the vehicle's immobilizer is locked and can only be unlocked with a scan tool.

If you start the car with the Ikey in it, leave the key at home, and go back, you better not ever shut the car off because it won't restart. The red key light you saw was because it sensed the key was not in the car. I had an instance where I had to do the key recall for the '07 Altima and turn off a tire pressure light, I left the driver door open, had the keys on the dash, and turned right a little too hard. The key flew out the door, and I had to stop in the middle of route 19 here and grab the key before it got ran over!

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Hey Nissantech06, I bet the key flying out the door made your heart skip a beat. That's a good story and thanks for the info. But I do have a question. Is there a valet key for the non-intelli key Rogues? I could use one when I exercise I hate to have the key fob on me while I do multi-hour bike rides.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Ticmxman wrote:Hey Nissantech06, I bet the key flying out the door made your heart skip a beat. That's a good story and thanks for the info. But I do have a question. Is there a valet key for the non-intelli key Rogues? I could use one when I exercise I hate to have the key fob on me while I do multi-hour bike rides.
Yeah...I had to stop in the middle of traffic and get in the center lane!

I don't know for sure, if you let me ask my parts manager tomorrow, he might know. Problem is, the car is so new that it might not be out yet.

Dorbec

Thought I'd share this one with you all. Two weeks ago I had my Rogue delivered to me by my Dealer. (No my name isn't Trump....just a nice dealer). However, the guy that delivers it LOST the owners manual and one of the 2 keys normally given "the proud new owner". They had to order a key from Nissan then the car must be taken to the dealer so that the car and keys can be programed. Two Weeks now and no Key! Every time I take the key out of the ignition I pray I don't drop, lose or damage it.I think my new key is swimming in from Japan as we speak...

XbRogue

Personal Experience when the dealer had to replace a module in my car, they had to reprogram both keys and that took for ever, and one of the intelligent key remote wont work, so they had to replace the remote with newer one..

IMO, you are just asking for a lot of trouble, I say just go through Nissan..

zesty2b
Car: Gotham Gray SL 4WD Sun Roof, Bluetooth, Leather

When I took possession of my Rogue, the dealer had misplaced one of the keys. They then ordered my another one from Nissan and within a week had it for me successfully programmed without my car or the other key present. Both keys work fine. Now, is it likely they actually successfully programmed a new key without the other fob/key on hand, or is it more likely they found the 'misplaced' key? I wonder .....

phantom of the opera
Car: 2008 Venom Red

nissantech06, I understand most of what you said. My question is regarding 2 Intellikeys.

If my wife and her key starts the car and later leaves it, will another I be able to assume normal control of the car with my key if I shut off the car and then attempt to restart?

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

Doesn't matter which key you use, as long as it's registered with the car it will work.

So you should be good. Unless your key is for a different rogue than your wife's is or something

Return to “Rogue Forum”