Need Advice on SR20DET Swap

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
SR4LifeSentra
Car: 1994 Nissan Sentra

Hey guys....my buddy has a 1994 Nissan Sentra 4-door. It isn't an se-r, so I'm assuming its the ga16 or whatever and its an automatic. He said he would sell it to me for 600 bucks. I've been trying to do some research on the sr20det swap before I go ahead and buy the car from him. I know quite a bit about the sr20 240's but not too familiar with the fwd sr's being swapped into sentras. None of the shops around here carry the fwd sr and so far I've found 2 websites to buy from. My question is do these seem like good deals or decent companies to buy from?

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/i...id=26

http://got-jdm.com/JDM/nissan-....html

The first link the engine doesnt come with a transmission for the car and I cant seem to find where to buy the SE-R 5 speed tranny to put in.

And my other than that...the only other things I would need to get it running I would assume is from the parts list in the sr20det f.a.q thread for the 1.6 to 2.0 sr20 swap? Thanks for any help and info on this.

Im not worried about downtime on the car because I have a truck that I use as my daily driver.

SR4LifeSentra

Also found this on another site but this engine seems slightly different than the others I saw. It has a top mount intercooler. Did these motors come with top mount intercoolers?

http://www.jdm-online.com/jdm-....html

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Tiger is decent from what I've heard (if I'm remembering correctly). Also look into Soko.com.

Check out the stickies for more info on the GA->SR swap.

Yes, DET's came with TMIC's.

SR4LifeSentra

Ok thanks for the info. Does anybody have any idea where I could find the 5-speed tranny for this swap? It seems tigerjapanese has a good price on the engine but no tranny. I emailed soko.com to see if they have it and what their price would be.

nametakennow

Junkyards. I'd avoid 91-94 SE-R trans due to the 5th gear pop out issue (though you may find one that's fine, so it's not entirely a bad bet).

95-98 200SX SE-R99 Sentra SE-LAny Infiniti G2000-01 Sentra SE, preferably the Performance Package version as it has a VLSD

SR4LifeSentra

Any idea on an average price for one of those transmissions?

nametakennow

Not a clue. It will probably depend on the junkyard, how many the have, and how often they get someone looking for one.

woobash
Car: 94 sentra 1.6

i have found a couple for about $900 but if you find a se-r at a yard you will be better off because the have larger brakes racing axles rear and front. you can use any trani from 1990 to i think 1998 without doing the hydro clutch convertion. If you do end up getting a trani from 94 or lower buy a fifth gear fix it kit from JGY custom for about $150. another good thing about buying the whole se-r is that it stock has the sr20de so everything off of it will swap on your new sr20de(t). with the complete car trans kit and motor your looking at about $2,500-$3000 if you shop right. you might get lucky and the junk yard want know the se-r has potential and you can get it cheaper. then just sale the rest of the se-r if you want.

But really it would be best to just put the Sr20DE(t) in the se-r because it already SR ready with the complete package.

pachuco
Car: 91 sentra ser turbo, 89 240sx, 79 280zx, 01 G20t

Other than a transmission you will need the sr20de crossmember and all 4 mounts. If your switching to a manual trans you will need the clutch cable. Its hard to find a junked se-r but if you do buy it up or snatch all the parts. ive only seen 1 automatic SE-R in the junkyard in louisville Kentucky. Its best to use the 91-94 SER wiring harness to because it plugs into the bluebird Ecu for easy startup.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”