Need advice on buying used '94 300ZX

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
coltonval3
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX

Hi,
I recently found a 300zx for sale in pretty good condition with only 60,000 miles on it. The owner said in the ad:

"I'm selling my 1994 Nissan 300zx. It starts, stays on for a little bit then shuts off. Took it to a shop and told me it was the fuel pump so I changed it and its the same. Don't want to continue putting more money in it. I put a new engine in. Got the engine with 55,000 but dash still has prior miles from the old engine. It has new clutch, new water pump, new timing belt, new idle pulleys, new crank position sensor, new alternator, new fuel pump. And I have all the receipts for them. Also changed the tires 3 months still like brand new. Its in excellent condition just on the left side but the hood and fender there is a little dent. Already cables running towards the back for a su7b and amp. Miles on the dash say 240,00 but when I put the new engine I reset the trip."

And that's where He concludes the ad. Any Idea what might be wrong with it so I know what I'm getting my hands on before I purchase it?

BTW I am 16 just getting into cars. I have learned a lot of what I know from my dad who is great with Porsches but doesn't know much about Nissans. I am looking for something to learn manual on and this would be my first car.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

I'd start with checking the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's free VIN look-up tool.

Then I'd pony up the money for a more detailed report from either AutoCheck or Carfax.
Several companies sell vehicle history reports, promising to reveal the past of any given vehicle. Keep in mind no report is perfect. It's only as good as the incidents that have been reported to the database. If, for example, someone gets into a minor accident and decides to repair the car without involving an insurance company for fear of rates going up, the accident will not be reflected in the report. Similarly, if the body shop handling the repairs does not share its data with the vehicle history companies, it will not appear on a report either. So a vehicle could have frame damage and you would not know it by just reading the report. That said, we still recommend running a vehicle history report before driving across town to see a car in person.
Top 1994 Nissan 300ZX Problems:
  • Fuel Injectors May Fail and Cause Drivability Concerns.
  • Exhaust Manifold Can Warp and Cause the Studs to Break Off.
  • Check PCV valves if vehicle emits blue smoke.
Tips for buying a car from a private seller

Used-Car Checklist (pdf)

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That's a metric crapton of miles on a Z32. They're NOT an easy car to wrench on, so you may be getting in over your head (I've been restoring and building Nissans and Datsuns for 20 years and I *still* don't like tinkering with my daughter's 90 Z32).

The seller seems to think that the engine mileage is important. It's not. We wouldn't reset the odometer (or even mention it) if the engine was rebuilt (right?), and there's NO proof that the takeout motor had 55k miles. So, it's still a 240K mile car. At that point, every bushing and suspension component is DONE. Wheel bearings, ball joints, struts, bushings... everything is suspect.

This isn't what you want to hear, but at 16, your first car will most likely not stick around long. I have four kids, so I went through it with them (and they all had professional instruction and even some track time). Each one went through 2-3 cars in the first couple years. That's just life.

So, a collectible Z might not be the smartest first car. It's not as sexy or cool, but a post-2000 manual Corolla, Mazda 3, Civic, Versa, or something of the sort makes a TON more sense. Insurance will be cheaper, and you can learn to wrench on that.

Buy a Z, by all means - but buy the best one you can afford. It'll cost more in the beginning, but the one you're looking at sounds like it's gonna be on jackstands for a long time.

Welcome aboard! Glad you're here.

coltonval3
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm
That's a metric crapton of miles on a Z32. They're NOT an easy car to wrench on, so you may be getting in over your head (I've been restoring and building Nissans and Datsuns for 20 years and I *still* don't like tinkering with my daughter's 90 Z32).

The seller seems to think that the engine mileage is important. It's not. We wouldn't reset the odometer (or even mention it) if the engine was rebuilt (right?), and there's NO proof that the takeout motor had 55k miles. So, it's still a 240K mile car. At that point, every bushing and suspension component is DONE. Wheel bearings, ball joints, struts, bushings... everything is suspect.

This isn't what you want to hear, but at 16, your first car will most likely not stick around long. I have four kids, so I went through it with them (and they all had professional instruction and even some track time). Each one went through 2-3 cars in the first couple years. That's just life.

So, a collectible Z might not be the smartest first car. It's not as sexy or cool, but a post-2000 manual Corolla, Mazda 3, Civic, Versa, or something of the sort makes a TON more sense. Insurance will be cheaper, and you can learn to wrench on that.

Buy a Z, by all means - but buy the best one you can afford. It'll cost more in the beginning, but the one you're looking at sounds like it's gonna be on jackstands for a long time.

Welcome aboard! Glad you're here.
Thank you so much for the advice. I didn't even think about how much wear would be on the wheel bearing, ball joints, struts, bushings, etc.

For a first car you mentioned the civic, corolla, Mazda 3. Do you think a Miata or Mitsubishi eclipse would be a good choice, as I can get them for cheaper with low mileage.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Miata, absolutely.

I despise anything Mitsubishi, but there are some who will disagree. A NA/NB Miata is a fantastic car, easy to work on, and will appreciate in value if you take good care of it.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Good advise here, the Z32 was/is a great car but not if your on a budget. I was looking at a 91' turbo that I was really tempted to buy (not sure where I've have parked it) and when I started to dig into the issues it already had and the ones that were upcoming it was going to be minimum of 10k to get it back into OEM shape to like new. Miata's are cool but they are very tight inside. Mits Eclipse wasn't a bad car but there but they sold very few of these so finding stuff will be a challenge. The Miata has a lot of stuff out there. Also there were some nice Mazada 3 versions out there, my nephew has one as his first car and had very few problems and loves it.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”