need advice guys *HELP*

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
jza80king
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX
1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

Hey guys where do I begin? I have a 92 Ka24DE with lots and lots of miles. It reads 145k but the odometer stopped working like 10 years ago so this f*** is old/tired, but it's my DD and I love it. Anyway, I've been through a lot with this car lately and it's been overheating on me. At first i thought my radiator but it doesn't leak as it was replaced about 3 years ago and seems fine after thoroughly checking it out. I notice my radiator cap was getting stuck when I tried to open it so I replaced the radiator cap thinking this was the issue and no still overheating. Was thinking maybe water pump since when I did run it without the cap I couldn't really see water moving in the radiator so I started to think maybe the pump isn't moving water at all? I dunno? I did replace the thermostat with an OEM one about 2 weeks ago cuz I figured this might be it, even after removing the old thermostat I put both the new and old thermostat in 200 degree water and the old one barely opened while the OEM new one immediately opened. I thought this was the fix so I refilled with coolant added some water wetter, raised the front end up off the ground and THOUGHT I had bled all the air out of the system. Well, it overheated again 2 nights ago when it was probably 85 degrees outside. Got home today and I used a laser thermometer and got readings from about 145-240 degrees on different parts of the thermostat housing, radiator hoses, side of the heads, near the temp sensor etc so at this point i'm thinking the worse with a BHG, 240 degrees is way too damn hot. I went and rented 2 compression tools from autozone (got 2 to get a more accurate reading using both tools) I ran a compression test about 2 hours ago, followed the steps as per the repair manual I got, warmed it up removed the ignition wires, made sure oil and battery are good. I removed the 1st spark plug and put the compression thread in and tightened and had my brother help press the gas completely down and let it crank for 7-10 seconds....I get 130 compression. I repeat this for the other 3 and I get 130, 130, 130, 125. This is very low compression obviously. My car is also showing whitish smoke when I accelerated it in my drive way. My oil is perfect, my coolant is not black or any different color than normal either. I'm thinking the early BHG stages? Maybe water is leaking slightly and being burned up (hence the smoke) then when too much water is burnt up the car is low on coolant thus it overheats? anyway, I wanted to see what you all think and I am open to any suggestions or advice. I'm uncertain about buying a new head online somewhere reputable or if I should take my heads and have them rebuilt. Also how likely is it that the block needs machining or do you guys think a new rebuilt head with new head gasket should be ok? Do I need new studs also or is that not necessary? I did some brief google searches and found ebay stuff which i'm uncertain of but I found a company called Cylinder Heads International which seem pretty good and offer a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty and require me to send them my head with valves, cams, etc as a core. I'm unsure if anyone might suggest something else? Anyone know of someone reputable in Utah they might lead me towards? Anyway sorry for the long post, I appreciate any advice/suggestions/feedback. still trying to pick myself up from this kick in the nuts I just received. :frown:

jza80king
1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

35 views and nothing? Supraforums would've had 10 responses for me by now. Help guys.

captn cookie
Car: 1996 Nissan 2.4 hardbody 4x4 king cab

I don't know if you still looking for advice, but if so let me know I'll throw my two cents.

jza80king
1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

Appreciate it man. I have since completed my rebuild and the car is running great.

ka24de-head-installation-t593590.html

captn cookie
Car: 1996 Nissan 2.4 hardbody 4x4 king cab

What all did you do for your rebuild?

jza80king
1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

What do you mean? Do you mean what all I replaced/rebuilt?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”