Need advice for beginner DIY work on suspension and brakes.

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

In a few months, my family will be off visiting grandparents for a bunch of weeks. Since I will be able to drive my wife's car during those weeks, I am hoping to be able to spend some weekends working on my 95 Q45. My goal is to get the suspension and braking components (and performance) as near stock as practical - both from a cost and a labor hours perspective. If some handling or other improvements can be made, all the better! Ideally, I would like my 95 Q to handle like the 91 Q I used to have, although that may be asking for too much.

The plan is to:

1. Replace all four shocks. No leaks or anything, but the car is starting to float and sway more than usual.

2. Change out any other suspension components that need to be replaced. (Links? Dust boots? Other rubber material?)

3. Replace all brake pads and/or rotors.

Of course, I am a beginner (but very willing to learn) on DIY work on my Q. So far, about the only DIY thing I have done is replace the battery and oil and oil filter. All kinda simple tasks.

So, the big questions are:

1. Where do I begin to learn about how to do the above plan? I.e., what to replace, how to replace, what tools to buy/borrow/rent, etc., etc., etc.?

2. Are these projects too ambitious for a [relatively enthusiastic] beginner? I will have about three or four weekends available ...

3. Rotors are warped again (argh!), so I am hoping to replace with cross-drilled or slotted with better stopping and longevity results. I plan to stick with OEM pads (per posts I have seen from Dennis). Any recommendations on after-market rotors?

4. Would you stick with OEM shocks or get after-market? If after-market, which ones? As said earlier, I would like to get closer to a 91 Q handling.

Thanks in advance for any advice I get!

Z

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

I just got done doing all of that to my 94 Q it took me about a week. Just be prepared to run into probs as you will open a can of worms.

I replaced all brakes pads and rotors, I replaced the front rotors with Slotted ones and they rock!!!

I also replaced all the rubber suspension components as well as the the shocks, the rears with tokiko blues, which helped alot with the floaty feeling! Just call joe at scotsdale infiniti and hell hook you right up!! Make sure to get the sway bar bushings and you might look into getting a rear sway bar as that will help tons!!I would also look into getting some new upperlinks as they are probably old and worn.

The tools I rented were a spring compressor and a torque wrench

I also bought 17 and 14 and 19mm impact sockets as you will use these the most. I should have gotten a 10mm but next time! Also get the wrenches too

If you have any question or need some advice drop me an email and Ill give any insight that I can provide. I thought that this would be hard but it was surprisingly easy just time consuming!! but well worth it.

I think im gonna compile a document about what I changed the partnumbers needed and a bunch of other stuff. Would anyone be interested?

szh

DenverQ wrote:I think im gonna compile a document about what I changed the partnumbers needed and a bunch of other stuff. Would anyone be interested?

Absolutely, I would be very interested! :ylsuper

Z

szh

Hi, Tory.

[quote=" DenverQ I replaced the front rotors with Slotted ones and they rock!!![/quote]What manufacturer did you get? Scottsdale Infiniti has cross-drilled Stillen's and I have seen slotted ones at another web site (name escapes me at the moment!)

Z

DenverQ

I got power slot from shox.com they cost 72 bucks a piece

szh

Hi, Tory.
DenverQ wrote:I got power slot from shox.com they cost 72 bucks a piece

Another question: On the Powerslot web site, I did not see a part number for the rear rotors. Is the reason why you only did the fronts? Or were your rear rotors fine?

(I saw another site that had part numbers for the rears, but if the main Powerslot site does not have them, I am confused ...)

Z

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

szhosain wrote:Hi, all.

1. Replace all four shocks. No leaks or anything, but the car is starting to float and sway more than usual.

2. Change out any other suspension components that need to be replaced. (Links? Dust boots? Other rubber material?)

3. Replace all brake pads and/or rotors.

Welcome! I have just learned all this recently myself, and I must say brakes are cake and suspension is slightly more difficult,but it's all easier then pulling apart the motor!

Like DenverQ said, you'll need a mcpherson spring compressor kit and a front suspension kit.(in other words, a kit for ball joints and stuff) i got all this at a good price from http://www.mytoolstore.com and http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-...2.htmYou'll probably need a good jack and four garage stands if you don't already have them. a air compressor would be really convienent for the spring compressor. it'll take forever torqueing it down by hand. The brakes for sure are a DIY job. You might as well bleed your brake system while you have the car up. Your Q's manual will tell you the order of how to do it, starting with the rear. While looking for the specialty tools, grab a brake bleeder to, they're cheap. Shop around for your rotors and pads. Hopefully some of the other Q owners here while chime in on the best deals. Best of luck to you.

ardvarkus

Hard to justify buying a spring compressor AND an air compressor just to speed up work!

Go to a rental yard, rent a spring compressor, take the extra 30 minutes to turn it by hand. Then take the $400 you saved and invest it wisely- :)

Of course a floor jack and stands are required. Sears is fine for that. Assume you have a 1/2" drive torque wrench and all the required hand tools...

Oh, perhaps a quart of GoJo hand cleaner!

;)

Adam

thomcycle
Car: raising my kids, bicycling, and DIY

[quote=" DenverQ The tools I rented were a spring compressor and a torque wrench

I also bought 17 and 14 and 19mm impact sockets as you will use these the most. I should have gotten a 10mm but next time! Also get the wrenches too

I think im gonna compile a document about what I changed the partnumbers needed and a bunch of other stuff. Would anyone be interested? [/quote]

Yes, I would be interested. I assume you bought the impact sockets because you have a pneumatic impact wrench? If not, why?

Thanks a bunch

DenverQ

I bought them because I broke both the 17 and 19mm trying to undo some of the nut/bolt combos (rusted bolts, I have to sheer one bolt completly in half!). So I bought the impact so they wouldnt break, I just so happen to come accross a impact wrench.

I bet a good socket set would work fine, but I like the fact it would be very very hard for me to break these ones

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

On the spring compressor - you can also "rent" one at your local parts store. I asked about buying one, and the guy told me they had free loaners - just pay a $50 deposit - bring it back and they'll refund the $50. I've even heard some places advertise this (AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.). Just buy something while you're there (like a case of brake parts cleaner) and they're happy...

Heath

rrack

Hello again. I haven't been on NICO for quite some time and to my supprise it has change once again. I registered again and for some reason I can't post new messages. I tried clearing cookies and the .net site but still no go...

Anyway, I just now got around to putting on my front Tokico blues. I just went to AutoZone and borrowed the spring compressors ($40 deposit that will be returned). It only took about an hour to throw both of them on. Pretty simple. Just be carefull with those springs. I know someone who got seriously hurt when the compressors slipped off.

My stock black ones have about 50K highway miles on them if anyone wants them. They appear to still be good. They still have pressure and push the rod out. No leaks or damaged shaft. I had just replaced them in attempt to fix my vibration problem. Now on to that problem. I bought my 92 Q back in 97 and it drove great! Well, through the years, the ride has become very poor and sloppy. It doesn't "glide" along like it used to. I replaced the front tension rod bushings, front upper links, sway bushings, right rear inner tie rod, tranny mount... I still have a vibration in the steering wheel! Any tips?

What parts may be causing this? lower ball joints, lower control arms?

Someone told me to maybe replace the tranny dirve shaft carrier bearing?

Oh btw, anyone have the phone numbers to Scottsdale and Midway? I'll need to call them and order the parts along with new dust boots that I forgot about.

Thanks again...It's good to be back. Hopefully, they will soon fix my account so I can post.

Robert

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Scottsdale's # is 1-888-216-5328. (I can't believe I have it memorized.) I don't know about the vibe problem, but my ride feel was greatly improved by replacing all rubber strut components along with the Tokicos.

Sopdadope

I'm going through all of that right now. DenverQ hit the nail right on the head with his statement about opening a can of worms. I was going through with the active suspension conversion and basically found out a needed to fix a handful of other things.

1) While the car was on the lift, I took a good look at the rear bushings: worn out as I suspected. So I ordered some some sway-bar bushings, endlink bushings, front and rear.

2) Next thing I noticed was how badly my pads had worn. Rear pads are out, so I ordered some Axxis pads.

3) To my delight, my Powerstop front rotors needed truing.

My car's still parked at the mechanics lot while I drive my sister's Camry. I've spent a good deal of time and money trying to get it to run like new but in the end it'll be worth it. I recently had a close friend's Q45 upgraded with new suspension parts and the car drove great. Very planted and smooth like only a Q can feel.

Return to “General Chat”