Need a little advice on friend's 200SX

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
ColumbusDrift
Car: 96 S14 KA24DET

Hey guys, my friend has a 1996 Nissan 200SX with the 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder. Anyways he needs to get a front pipe of the exhaust replaced and got quoated from a place at $300 dollars for the part and installation. This is the pipe between the end of the header and to the cat. I was wondering what you guys suggest that he do to get this fixed, it is so loud. BTW, he does plan on getting a custom catback exhaust in the next couple months. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome.

NISTECH

have it fabed at a muffler shop maybe? Its easy to replace you could pick it up cheap at a wreaker and do it yourselfs too

ColumbusDrift

I think that it would be pretty cheap to do it custom at a local muffler shop, but would it be better to maybe buy a performance part or not. Also, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the custom exhaust setup. I would think that it would be a good idea to include a resonater and muffler into the custom setup, but don't know for sure. Any advice?

NISTECH

if your gonna customize the rest of your exhaust going the muffler shop route might be the best bet. you could set it up to enhance the performance of the rest of the exhaust your plannin on installing

ColumbusDrift

I would think that would be the best place to get it done affordably. I can't think of any cheap catback exhausts. Unless someone knows of a decent kit. I don't know these 200SX's all that well. I mostly know 240SX's.

Moe-Man
Car: Skiing

I had a similar problem with my 96' 200 SX-R. After a closer look I discovered the pile separated from the factory weld. A muffler shop rewelded it for me for $60. But this was after another shop quoted three times that price. If you have the same weld problem you need a welder more than a muffler shop. I know guys that will do the job for a 12-pack! Good luck.

BenSR2095Se-R
Car: Drag, chillen wit my wifey, workin on cars with friends

dude just get a header from pacesetter for $140. your flexpipe is junk and this would be cheaper and you'd get more hp.

Ben

AVERAGE
Car: my car

depending on ur local muffler shop, they should be able to do the whole exhaust set up for about 160-180 bucks. about 100 or less for the muffler and 60-80 bucks for installation and piping included unless there a cut throat shop

Javier
Car: acceleration

you can pick that part up from a junkyard for next to nothing.....and save the $ for a nice catback system.

NISMOingen
Car: This isn't a hobby. It's an obsession.

I'm with Ben, forget the old pipe, get a header. Here this place is cheap, manufacturing quality is excellent, although there designs are much more "mechanic" than "engineer":

http://www.ssautochrome.com/

Their headers for the GA16 are only $170. I've bought lots of stuff from them, they are both responsible and responsive.

You could get the whole exhaust for $500.

azkicker0027
Car: Autocross

i'd suggest to get an aftermarket header and all too, but worse case, it's a trip to the yard or a dealership, cause it's really kind of hard to tell the quality of piping that a muffler shop can come up with, specially with the flex joint and all.

BenSR2095Se-R
Car: Drag, chillen wit my wifey, workin on cars with friends

id get a header over an exhaust first. more power gains.

Ben

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”