xen wrote:Hi folks,
I have just bought a fully-loaded 2003 Infiniti FX-45 (2003) with 35000 miles on odmeter.
1) I have no service records for the car. The car looks nice (1 owner, sold through Infiniti lease auction, no frame damage, new tires, etc.), but I have no idea whether the previous owner did all the services or nothing. How would you start? What service would you do? Would you do it at a dealership or somewhere else? I've never owned an Infiniti, but I have some presupposition that the dealer will try to charge me through the nose. I'm in San Francisco Bay Area (Peninsula).
2) There is a SAT button. When I press it, it says "Loading". How do I know if the SAT unit is actually installed? How do I use it?
3) CD-changer doesn't play MP3 CDs:-( Do you know any reasonably priced upgrade for this? I've heard I can plug my MP-3 player in the entertainment system in the back through a cable, but it's not as convenient as simply loading MP3 CD in the dash. I'd rather have no changer, but a simple MP3 support...
4) DVD navigation is sooo pooor. Do you know how to check its version? Do you know any cheap way to upgrade? I would hate to pay $190 for official DVD upgrade. I would rather buy Garmin Nuvi 350 for the same money, put it in the console and enjoy street buy street voice guidance and nice and usable touchscreen interface=) Or better, find a way to make an upgrade to the built-in DVD.
5) This car is fully loaded, but the computer doesn't show tire pressure. Was it an option that the buyer didn't buy, or did the sensors go away with the first tires, or? How to check this thing?
7) Any way to make the ride smoother? Tune/replace something in suspension? Downgrade from 20" to 18"? I like to make long trips on the car, but I wouldn't do them on FX-45 with the current ride quality.
1.) Infiniti has dealer performed service records for all Infiniti's it services. If you have a good realtionship with service writer or service manager (and you must!), ask kindly if he will print the service history for you. Register your Infiniti with Infiniti Customer service, then they will read the history to you. Much better to get it printed.
2.) Do you have a XM or Sirius subcription? If not, nothing will happen. Verify you have one of the SAT modules installed.
3.) MP3 is a lossy format and a downgrade from SAT and expecially CD-ROM.
4.) Be sure you have the latest Zenrin disc. Cheapest from
5.) Check with VIN or original sales receipt. I think FX 45 had TPMS.
7.) Lightweight forged 18" wheels will help. 2003 were notoriously rough and the suspension was softened in later years.
When you get your FSM, also download all the TSB. The OM is free for download if you don't have one.
Best to change all fluids and filters if you have no proof as to their age or if they fail inspection (any visible color change or malodors).