Need a couple of advices on FX-45 (just bought it)

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
xen
Car: 2003 Infiniti FX 45

Hi folks,

I have just bought a fully-loaded 2003 Infiniti FX-45 (2003) with 35000 miles on odmeter. I would appreciate if more experienced owners could give me a couple of advices.

1) I have no service records for the car. The car looks nice (1 owner, sold through Infiniti lease auction, no frame damage, new tires, etc.), but I have no idea whether the previous owner did all the services or nothing. How would you start? What service would you do? Would you do it at a dealership or somewhere else? I've never owned an Infiniti, but I have some presupposition that the dealer will try to charge me through the nose. I'm in San Francisco Bay Area (Peninsula).

2) There is a SAT button. When I press it, it says "Loading". How do I know if the SAT unit is actually installed? How do I use it?

3) CD-changer doesn't play MP3 CDs:-( Do you know any reasonably priced upgrade for this? I've heard I can plug my MP-3 player in the entertainment system in the back through a cable, but it's not as convenient as simply loading MP3 CD in the dash. I'd rather have no changer, but a simple MP3 support...

4) DVD navigation is sooo pooor. Do you know how to check its version? Do you know any cheap way to upgrade? I would hate to pay $190 for official DVD upgrade. I would rather buy Garmin Nuvi 350 for the same money, put it in the console and enjoy street buy street voice guidance and nice and usable touchscreen interface=) Or better, find a way to make an upgrade to the built-in DVD.

5) This car is fully loaded, but the computer doesn't show tire pressure. Was it an option that the buyer didn't buy, or did the sensors go away with the first tires, or? How to check this thing?

6) Is there a way to upgrade the standard rear-view mirror to something wider (I use Homelink)?

7) Any way to make the ride smoother? Tune/replace something in suspension? Downgrade from 20" to 18"? I like to make long trips on the car, but I wouldn't do them on FX-45 with the current ride quality.

Thanks!

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Go to this site subscribe to $19.99........... 23 hour 59.9 minute accesshttp://www.nissan-techinfo.com...cssid=Download owners manual and FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL [giant *.pdf file which must de downloaded in sections].

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

xen wrote:Hi folks,

I have just bought a fully-loaded 2003 Infiniti FX-45 (2003) with 35000 miles on odmeter.

1) I have no service records for the car. The car looks nice (1 owner, sold through Infiniti lease auction, no frame damage, new tires, etc.), but I have no idea whether the previous owner did all the services or nothing. How would you start? What service would you do? Would you do it at a dealership or somewhere else? I've never owned an Infiniti, but I have some presupposition that the dealer will try to charge me through the nose. I'm in San Francisco Bay Area (Peninsula).

2) There is a SAT button. When I press it, it says "Loading". How do I know if the SAT unit is actually installed? How do I use it?

3) CD-changer doesn't play MP3 CDs:-( Do you know any reasonably priced upgrade for this? I've heard I can plug my MP-3 player in the entertainment system in the back through a cable, but it's not as convenient as simply loading MP3 CD in the dash. I'd rather have no changer, but a simple MP3 support...

4) DVD navigation is sooo pooor. Do you know how to check its version? Do you know any cheap way to upgrade? I would hate to pay $190 for official DVD upgrade. I would rather buy Garmin Nuvi 350 for the same money, put it in the console and enjoy street buy street voice guidance and nice and usable touchscreen interface=) Or better, find a way to make an upgrade to the built-in DVD.

5) This car is fully loaded, but the computer doesn't show tire pressure. Was it an option that the buyer didn't buy, or did the sensors go away with the first tires, or? How to check this thing?

7) Any way to make the ride smoother? Tune/replace something in suspension? Downgrade from 20" to 18"? I like to make long trips on the car, but I wouldn't do them on FX-45 with the current ride quality.
1.) Infiniti has dealer performed service records for all Infiniti's it services. If you have a good realtionship with service writer or service manager (and you must!), ask kindly if he will print the service history for you. Register your Infiniti with Infiniti Customer service, then they will read the history to you. Much better to get it printed.

2.) Do you have a XM or Sirius subcription? If not, nothing will happen. Verify you have one of the SAT modules installed.

3.) MP3 is a lossy format and a downgrade from SAT and expecially CD-ROM.

4.) Be sure you have the latest Zenrin disc. Cheapest from

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com

5.) Check with VIN or original sales receipt. I think FX 45 had TPMS.

7.) Lightweight forged 18" wheels will help. 2003 were notoriously rough and the suspension was softened in later years.

When you get your FSM, also download all the TSB. The OM is free for download if you don't have one.

Best to change all fluids and filters if you have no proof as to their age or if they fail inspection (any visible color change or malodors).

Mpower82
Car: 08 BMW E60 M5

with the TPM, make sure the rims it has installed, that they are still working

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”