Need 90 Q45 Glove Box Hinge

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Mine broke. Scottsdale said I would have to buy the entire glove box and I don't wanna spend 220 bucks for a hinge. Any help would be great.

In case anyone cares, my Q just spent two weeks at the mechanic getting the carbon flushed out of the engine as well as other various tasks.

crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

Hey Blue,

I also have a 90 Q What does a carbon flush entail? What are the benefits? Two weeks?

Thanks

crubio

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Unfortunately the glove compartment is a known problem on the older Q's and there's really not a good way to fix it. I wired mine up using some small machine screws and fine wire to recreate the "loop" part of the hinge, but eventually it broke again and that darn "rattle, rattle" got to me... I checked with lot's of junk yards and they're all broken. I'm afraid this is one time you'll have to just hold your nose and give them the credit card number if you want a glove compartment.

Heath

90Q45blue

The carbon flush entails removing the engine and soaking it w/ a special chemical to flush out all the carbon sitting in the bottom o the engine. I guess it builds up over time. I just got it back and my god the thing was so much faster this time around. It is pretty expensive though. A bottle of chemical costs 50 bucks and the labor is costly since the engine is removed. Overall, I'd say you're lookin at about 800 bucks. But it's worth it.

Thanks for the advice on bitin the bullet for the glove box. Think I found a good hinge though. Yay for me. :)

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

They actually removed and reinstalled your engine for $800?? Hope they replaced motor mounts, etc... how did they deal with the A/C compressor?

I'd be really interested in knowing more about the process. Where did you have it done... do they have a web site, etc?

Thanks!

Heath

bigox777

If it helps , this junkyard has a good amount of older q45'sthey'll ship to you:B & H1-800-527-3887they're in MarylandPS. I'm looking for a clean black hood for a 92 Q45 , drop me message if you can help

90Q45blue

Thanks for the info guys. About the flushing, what my mechanic basically did was take out the engine and soak it with this chemical (I'll get the name of it from him tomorrow) and then put the engine back in the next day. Then for two weeks he would drive it home at night, soak it with the engine still in the car overnight and then drive the car back to the shop the next day. This, he said helped get all that carbon out of the engine. Now what you have to understand is that my car just rolled over 241,500 miles today. So it really, really needed this done. The difference is phenomal. When I took it to him, the car took (I'm not kidding) 30 seconds to accelerate to 30mph. It was horrible. Now I'm smoking Mustangs again. :)

The mechanic does not have a website. He works in a small-town shop and has been working on our cars for 15 years. He's the man! :)

Return to “General Chat”