Near future skyline owner in the states

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
z.Leinbach
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx NA, T-top

Well as the title states, I'm in the process of saving up for a R32, so that being said, i know the GTR is the top dog, but what other trim levels came with AWD? And what engines come in those trims? Also with those engines what can I expect to experience for maintenance and fuel costs (currently own a NA 300zx not worried just curious) just want to learn as much as I can before I make the leap. Also I am fairly mechanicly inclined as I do as much of my own work as I can

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hmm, I wish you luck in your endeavor. I'm kind of on the fence about doing the same. I have an S14 and some saved $$ that I could be using towards a Skyline. But, I'd have to give up on the S14 and commit to the R32... says my wife!

I have found wikipedia to be pretty helpful. That and searching around here. This very forum has stickies, did you look at those? They're on top of the thread topics list. Here's one...
nissan-skyline-r32-serial-chassis-numbe ... 72382.html

So, if you look at the thread, you get a link to a VIN decoder list, and you get a bunch of different 'versions' of the Skyline. Check it out, it's great data.

I want a GT-S of some sort. I didn't realize there are so many versions. So I have further research to do.

z.Leinbach

Hah thats kind of where im at, cause if i get anything less then a gtr im going to keep my 300zx. But i want awd, thinking maybe a 4door but not so much if it's awd

centralcoaster33

Yeah, if it's too expensive, I'll be sticking to my s14.

z.Leinbach

Right. Im not just going to stick with my 300zx, i plan to add to family basically lol, just aiming for a awd version. That way i can park the z and save up some change to pay her off and save her.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

If you want AWD in an R32 then you're basically looking at either the GT-R or a GTS-4. The GT-R uses the RB26 of course while the GTS-4s only have an RB20DET though they're still good for 200ish hp. A car that's been kept stock can be pretty reliable but AWD will inevitably mean more possible things to go wrong so you need to budget for emergencies regardless of which one you get. There's not a lot of info out there in English on the GTS-4 since most US owners have the GT-R or 2WD GTS-Ts so your best bet is to find an owner on a forum and pick their brain. If you want more info on the R32 GT-R specifically and what it's like to own one in the States I've written a lot about it on my blog here:

http://www.23gt.net/

centralcoaster33

Ah, thanks. I'm still having issues getting current information. A lot of Skyline importation discussion was before the 25 year rule came into effect it seems. I'm now thinking there has to be easier ways to import, but they aren't discussed in detail much that I have found. Additionally, I have the CARB curve-ball to learn about.

GSX-R35

centralcoaster33 wrote:Ah, thanks. I'm still having issues getting current information. A lot of Skyline importation discussion was before the 25 year rule came into effect it seems. I'm now thinking there has to be easier ways to import, but they aren't discussed in detail much that I have found. Additionally, I have the CARB curve-ball to learn about.
Getting an R32 CARB-legal will cost you about $15K on top of the car itself. That's the amount being quoted currently by G&K Automotive, the company that's done the only CA-legalized R32s so far. I've written about the hurdles of Cali ownership as well on my blog:

http://www.23gt.net/search/label/Import ... lable.html

centralcoaster33

GSX-R35 wrote:Getting an R32 CARB-legal will cost you about $15K on top of the car itself.
I saw that in my research. I hope it is old news. 15K for some cats and a sticker? Or maybe that is just for a GTR and then a GTS could be cheaper? If the GTS is also 15K extra, well that there is a deal breaker.

z.Leinbach

Agreed, as well. Thankfully where i am in washington state i dont have to worry about emissions and all that crap. Plus where im getting the car, they retune and fix major probs with the cars, which is cool. But im also wanting a different colour then the gun metal grey colour. All 3 skylines here are the gun metal colour

GSX-R35

centralcoaster33 wrote:
GSX-R35 wrote:Getting an R32 CARB-legal will cost you about $15K on top of the car itself.
I saw that in my research. I hope it is old news. 15K for some cats and a sticker? Or maybe that is just for a GTR and then a GTS could be cheaper? If the GTS is also 15K extra, well that there is a deal breaker.
Actually, let me correct myself - I forgot that I got updated prices from a California owner who contacted them and it's $10K now for any R32. Unfortunately that's still a lot of money. A percentage of that price is the cost of the testing itself since you have to pay a state facility to certify the car is kosher after the emissions mods have been done.

GreyZ33Track
Car: 2004 350z Track
2003 G35 Coupe
2006 Titan 4x4 King Cab

I also live in wa and got my r32 gts4 a couple months ago. Very fun car to drive, picked up an auto as it was by far the cleanest I could find and i am stuck in 167 stop and go for hours on my daily commute. I imported my car, did not use a dealer as their overhead is terribly high.

z.Leinbach

Awesome! Can i pick your brain on it.? Cause im really considering a gts4 over a gtr, to cut a corner in price, and its alittle more low profile then the gtr, and ill be going with a manual because there isnt hours of stand still traffic, unless you get stuck in hanford morning or afternoon traffic. Which is still not as bad as seattle traffic.

GreyZ33Track
2003 G35 Coupe
2006 Titan 4x4 King Cab

Absolutly...whatever you need to know. I bought my car from Japan-partner.com and hired TFLI at port of Tacoma to file paperwork...was a pretty easy process. Lots of emails and faxes..but nothing complicated.

GreyZ33Track
2003 G35 Coupe
2006 Titan 4x4 King Cab

Feel free to email me for faster, detailed info, name is Doug. [email protected]

fnmadog
Car: 1993 240sx Vert (no engine)
1991 Skyline GTR

GTR will have the RB26DETT
GTS4 will have the RB20DET

one is a 2.6 liter the other is a 2.0. the 26 being a twin turbo and more displacement you'll have more fuel cost and more maintenance cost. and slightly more complicated. here's a post from another thread comparing the engines.
rb20det-vs-rb25det-vs-rb26dett-faq-t135400.html
the awd function of the car is primitive. basically it just kicks in when your rear tires start to break loose. the GTR and GTS4 have different gearing in the trans.

either way you are going to spend good money on either car to drive it and keep it maintained. there are a lot of good articles out there that cover this.

here's my opinion. skip the RB20 engine, you'll get more HP from an SR20 for a quarter of the price. if you want a r32 skyline get a gtr, if you just want a skyline wait for the r33s get a gts. rb25s with big turbos produce good power. wait and save and get what you want, don't settle. don't use the car as daily driver, it's an import and old, things will break and you won't be able to buy everything at autozone. money to car ratio is off balance for the skyline, so much hype surrounds the car. in the end you are paying 20% more for a car just because it's a GTR or skyline. the car is a classic icon and i love having one in my garage, maybe two soon :)

I've owned a few skylines now, i love them, they converted me from american muscle to japanese turbo. i also advocate for japan-partner. but do your own homework on your state laws, good luck cali owners.

z.Leinbach

This was very helpful, looked at that thread, can say as of right now i wont be making a powerhouse out of it. Probably basic support mods if they havent been done already, an I'm leaning more towards the gts4, as far as looks, engine will be enough for now especially with basic mods, also i aim your for a daily because of the awd, primitive that it maybe cause of icey roads and occasional snow. Parts im not a autopart store unless its for little things like filters, lights, oil, and additives, and there are enough shops in the area if i need parts i can go to them to find them.. i fully understand these cars are attention whores, but this is for me not them, also its something that will be going to shows and meets all the time.

centralcoaster33

Things are not looking good for CA and CARB certification for these cars. I need more information about what happens at a state emissions referee's office I think. Especially the cost of things. Anyone here have a clue?

z.Leinbach

I think just a proper tune on the vehicle, plus emissions control (cats and things of that sort)

centralcoaster33

Yeah, cats are like a couple hundred bucks and SMOG is a hundred more. Seeing someone got CARB certified for $15k makes me wonder about a lot more that cats and a smog check. So, I'm hoping someone has a clue about the other $14,700 or so. I wonder if they paid storage fees and had people doing paperwork for them. I wonder what the actual state referee charged and how that was itemized. Speculation is fun, but I'd like to get productive. I had one importer say it can't be done and another seems to have vanished from communication.

z.Leinbach

i think that's would be for cars that are younger then 25years old. cause i have a friend with a 5series bimmer, and has a full free flowing intake, and getting ready forna full exhaust mod. which in washington is illegal, but we kind of have a loop hole here, is its at officers discretion for a ticket. anyway they also make port programmers that are more proper tunes, then the cobbs

fcjohnny
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type M

centralcoaster33 wrote:Yeah, cats are like a couple hundred bucks and SMOG is a hundred more. Seeing someone got CARB certified for $15k makes me wonder about a lot more that cats and a smog check. So, I'm hoping someone has a clue about the other $14,700 or so. I wonder if they paid storage fees and had people doing paperwork for them. I wonder what the actual state referee charged and how that was itemized. Speculation is fun, but I'd like to get productive. I had one importer say it can't be done and another seems to have vanished from communication.

My friend had their GTR CARB legal. I know they added 2 cats that I noticed on the car, but I don't know everything that was done. Heres a pic of the CARB sticker

centralcoaster33

Thanks for sharing FCJohnny. If you or your friend would like to elaborate on CARB approval, I'd love to read about it and if you're near the central coast, I'd love to chat about it over a beer or coffee. BTW - get your friend onto NICO Club! :)

z.Leinbach

interesting. and also good to know. how does someone get a r33 legal. i seen one the other day. age wise they are not legal.. wtf

GSX-R35

z.Leinbach wrote:interesting. and also good to know. how does someone get a r33 legal. i seen one the other day. age wise they are not legal.. wtf
The R33 GT-R and GTS-T are already legal to import under DOT VCP-32 but you're looking at around $30K to do the job because of the OBD-II retrofit that's required until the car turns 21. It's a complicated matter so I won't elaborate too much but if you want to know more you can read this article:

http://www.23gt.net/2015/10/motorex-red ... untry.html

Most of the R33s you'll see running around were smuggled in from Canada illegally though.

z.Leinbach

ohhh ok. that makes more sence. thank you, wouldnt risk losing one to a crusher

z.Leinbach

well peoples, i feel like im slightly going back on a promise i made, buuut i slightly regret to say these words but, i think I'm going to go ahead and purchase the poor mans gtr instead, a Mitsubishi GTO, as they both seem to have the same hp numbers, gto has more torque, gtr is rear wheel all wheel, and the gto is all time all wheel, but only downside i can find to the gto i can find is the weight .. and maybe replacing a fuel filter (pta, been there done that on a stealth RT, NA) and maybe replacing a rear turbo if ever need be.

centralcoaster33

I'm only familiar with the name 3000gt so I had to look that one up. Lot's of people like that car. It's pretty sleek in my opinion. I don't see that many around these days. More so in the '90s. I finally heard back from an importer after about a month of waiting and he's basically found a car and asked if I'm still interested. I am! Duh! But that's all he asked, no information really. Just a model was listed. I can't say it's a pleasant experience from a customer perspective. I guess I'm just a potential customer, not an actual one (whatever that means). Good luck Z. If you do end up with a different car, I hope you find a really good one in good shape!

z.Leinbach

i hope i find a good one, a gto is a rhd version of the 3000gt but i guess the gtos have a stronger powertrain. but i would be going through rhd specailties in kent WA. so i know they will pick a good one. atleast with those i can work on it alil easier then with the Skyline. and parts are alil less damaging to the pocket book

fnmadog
Car: 1993 240sx Vert (no engine)
1991 Skyline GTR

i'd look out for a VR-4 version of the GTO/Stealth after '94 with the getrag 6 speed gearbox. for me it'd also have to have the flip lights. the car is heavy though, over 3k lbs. i still hold strong to the idea of holding out until you get what you want. the longer the wait the more money you should have saved too. but reselling the gto shouldn't be a problem if/when you ever wanted to get a r33.

but if you're looking at awd and hp and weight... why not look into an evo 8 or 9? they can make crazy power for cheap. parts and knowledge is common for them too. but if you're looking for unique than evo it is not.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”