Navigation not turning off if Rogue is unlocked

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
outspokenaz

My girlfriend noticed a weird issue with our 2015 Rogue SV recently. When I turn off the rogue and leave it unlocked, the navigation never turns off. I waited 10 mins, and it was still on, and so was the panel in front of the steering wheel. However, if I lock the Rogue it immediately turns off. Is this normal???

I also had a weird issue with the navigation. For a week it had no voice when we used it. Music played normal. In the options there was an option to enable audio - it was enabled, and we could hear it when we turned up the volume. After a week the only fix that fixed it was I pressed the right knob - i think it says enter, and now we have audio again for navigation. I cant explain it. Navigation seems very buggy.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

So are you saying that you turn off the car, open and close the door, and the GPS stays on if you don't lock the doors? If that's the case, then yes you have an issue. The system is designed to stay on until you open the car door, regardless of whether or not you lock the doors.

outspokenaz

I scheduled an apt with my dealer tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what they find. They are thinking one of the door sensors isnt working, or the navigation needs a firmware update or something. I cant believe a 1 month old vehicle could have issues

sprocket

That is normal. The 2nd generation Rogue comes with a new feature called AUTO ACC (ACC = accessory).

Most vehicles have OFF > ACC > IGN / RUN positions. You need to manually cycle to ACC mode in order to operate ACC functions like headunit/navi, outside mirror controls, 12V outlets and so on. Most obvious scenarios are getting in to your vehicle and wanting to just turn on the radio without starting the engine, or wanting to listen to the radio after turning the car off (RUN > OFF, then OFF > ACC to listen to the radio, then ACC > IGN > OFF to turn off the car). Many extra steps.

The 2nd generation Rogue's ACC mode is automatic to help save you some steps when you just want the ACC on without turning IGN on or starting the engine. You've probably noticed that the push start only let's you only cycle from OFF > IGN / RUN, so one less mode to cycle through. Less steps, less cycling through power modes with the push start switch.

So some examples of AUTO ACC:
- you turn off the engine but the headunit/navi will stay on, even after the delayed ignition power to windows/sunroof is shut off
- you've opened the door and the headunit/navi turns off. You can actually turn the headunit/navi back on again without having to hit the start button
- you unlock your car and get in, and can turn the headunit/navi on without hitting the start switch first

AUTO ACC will turn off automatically once the AUTO ACC timer is reached or you lock the vehicle, so there's no concern of battery going dead. AUTO ACC is automatically reengaged when you unlock the car with the headunit on standby, waiting for either a press of the power button or the IGN/RUN to return to last state. I had mentioned that 12V is also tied to this, so some people may confuse the 2nd generation Rogue's 12V outlets as being tied to battery when they're in fact on ACC. They just happen to be powered by the AUTO ACC setting.

Some people may get confused and think that their car is not turning off but it actually is. You can test this by turning on your radio after you've opened the door, leave the radio on, shut the door (radio remains on), lock the vehicle (radio will turn off as AUTO ACC is disabled). You could also test the timer but that will take a lot longer :)

Personally, it's a great feature IMO. I like getting somewhere, turning the engine off and still have the radio stay on to finish listening to a song or my bluetooth call-in-progress not end abruptly when I shut the engine off. It's also great that I can unlock the car and turn the radio on by just hitting the radio power button but not actually power on the ignition or start the engine, great when loading the kids in the car seat while the car is in the garage until I'm ready to go.

Hope this helps, and I'd suggest you save yourself a trip to the dealer.

outspokenaz

I took it to the dealer the other day. After a good hour they found out the issue was a bad sensor on the drivers side door. Once they replaced the sensor with another Rogue's it worked. The sensor wasnt working so the Rogue always thought the drivers side door was always closed, which is why the navigation system never turned off. Now it turns off instantly. They said theyve never seen that before. The issue was hard to troubleshoot because there was no indication anywhere that anything was wrong, because it thought the door was closed.

sprocket

outspokenaz wrote:I took it to the dealer the other day. After a good hour they found out the issue was a bad sensor on the drivers side door. Once they replaced the sensor with another Rogue's it worked. The sensor wasnt working so the Rogue always thought the drivers side door was always closed, which is why the navigation system never turned off. Now it turns off instantly. They said theyve never seen that before. The issue was hard to troubleshoot because there was no indication anywhere that anything was wrong, because it thought the door was closed.
It sounds like it was the door ajar switch. If the door ajar switch was not working, you should have noticed that the door ajar warning wouldn't show for the driver side door whenever you opened that particular door. It also wouldn't have triggered the room lamp when you opened the driver side door, should you have had that set for door ajar mode.

Glad it was fixed. Sorry there wasn't enough information in your initial post to suspect a door ajar switch.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

sprocket wrote:That is normal. The 2nd generation Rogue comes with a new feature called AUTO ACC (ACC = accessory).

Most vehicles have OFF > ACC > IGN / RUN positions. You need to manually cycle to ACC mode in order to operate ACC functions like headunit/navi, outside mirror controls, 12V outlets and so on. Most obvious scenarios are getting in to your vehicle and wanting to just turn on the radio without starting the engine, or wanting to listen to the radio after turning the car off (RUN > OFF, then OFF > ACC to listen to the radio, then ACC > IGN > OFF to turn off the car). Many extra steps.

The 2nd generation Rogue's ACC mode is automatic to help save you some steps when you just want the ACC on without turning IGN on or starting the engine. You've probably noticed that the push start only let's you only cycle from OFF > IGN / RUN, so one less mode to cycle through. Less steps, less cycling through power modes with the push start switch.

So some examples of AUTO ACC:
- you turn off the engine but the headunit/navi will stay on, even after the delayed ignition power to windows/sunroof is shut off
- you've opened the door and the headunit/navi turns off. You can actually turn the headunit/navi back on again without having to hit the start button
- you unlock your car and get in, and can turn the headunit/navi on without hitting the start switch first

AUTO ACC will turn off automatically once the AUTO ACC timer is reached or you lock the vehicle, so there's no concern of battery going dead. AUTO ACC is automatically reengaged when you unlock the car with the headunit on standby, waiting for either a press of the power button or the IGN/RUN to return to last state. I had mentioned that 12V is also tied to this, so some people may confuse the 2nd generation Rogue's 12V outlets as being tied to battery when they're in fact on ACC. They just happen to be powered by the AUTO ACC setting.

Some people may get confused and think that their car is not turning off but it actually is. You can test this by turning on your radio after you've opened the door, leave the radio on, shut the door (radio remains on), lock the vehicle (radio will turn off as AUTO ACC is disabled). You could also test the timer but that will take a lot longer :)

Personally, it's a great feature IMO. I like getting somewhere, turning the engine off and still have the radio stay on to finish listening to a song or my bluetooth call-in-progress not end abruptly when I shut the engine off. It's also great that I can unlock the car and turn the radio on by just hitting the radio power button but not actually power on the ignition or start the engine, great when loading the kids in the car seat while the car is in the garage until I'm ready to go.

Hope this helps, and I'd suggest you save yourself a trip to the dealer.
I hate the auto ACC... If I want to sit in the garage with the music playing while working on something, every 5 minutes I have to press the damn button to keep it from shutting off.

I asked the dealership if they can flash the computer to get rid of the battery saving mode and they said they cant

outspokenaz

sprocket wrote:Glad it was fixed. Sorry there wasn't enough information in your initial post to suspect a door ajar switch.
This is uncalled for. I never attacked anyone on this forum, i dont see why you are making this person saying its somehow my fault you gave bad advice. If you re-read my first post I clearly said when I turned off the Rogue and closed the door, the navigation never turned off. That is clearly a problem. For some reason you said this is normal - that was obviously bad advice, but i didnt say anything at the time. But if youre going to be a jerk ill say it - you gave bad advice.

I have only owned my Rogue for a month so to expect me to know whats normal is not reasonable. When I took my Rogue to the dealer they werent even sure how long it was before the navigation turned off. They had to actually find a Rogue on the dealer lot to see what the normal expected behavior was.

I was hoping this forum would be helpful, but if this is the response I get I'll go to another forum where people are helpful and nice, instead of being jerks and somehow blaming me for their bad advice.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

sprocket

outspokenaz wrote:
sprocket wrote:Glad it was fixed. Sorry there wasn't enough information in your initial post to suspect a door ajar switch.
This is uncalled for. I never attacked anyone on this forum, i dont see why you are making this person saying its somehow my fault you gave bad advice. If you re-read my first post I clearly said when I turned off the Rogue and closed the door, the navigation never turned off. That is clearly a problem. For some reason you said this is normal - that was obviously bad advice, but i didnt say anything at the time. But if youre going to be a jerk ill say it - you gave bad advice.

I have only owned my Rogue for a month so to expect me to know whats normal is not reasonable. When I took my Rogue to the dealer they werent even sure how long it was before the navigation turned off. They had to actually find a Rogue on the dealer lot to see what the normal expected behavior was.

I was hoping this forum would be helpful, but if this is the response I get I'll go to another forum where people are helpful and nice, instead of being jerks and somehow blaming me for their bad advice.

I'm sorry you took it the wrong way, I never meant to attack you and I don't believe I have. What you described in your original post is exactly how auto ACC works. I re-read your original post and you only mentioned leaving it unlocked, not opening/closing the door. You didn't describe any other symptoms or problems. Had you mentioned opening/closing the door or mentioned other symptoms with room lamp or door ajar warning not showing up, my advice would have been different.

I was not acting like a jerk, I commented after because I'm glad you got it fixed. I also commented on what I believe you may/should have noticed with a door ajar switch which you did not mention or notice. This is a public forum, these discussions can be useful for someone else down the road who may have a similar question that may be normal (i.e. behavior of auto acc) or problematic (i.e. faulty door ajar switch).

So once again, I'm sorry you took it the wrong way but I'm not sorry for trying to help you out. I am sorry you think I gave you bad advice but not sorry for the advice or the follow up I provided. I tried to provide help based on what you mentioned and going over it again, I think my advice and my follow up reply was not ill based. I personally don't appreciate your reaction towards my attempt to help but this is the Internet, everyone is entitled to their own say.

Good luck with your Rogue and do stick around, this forum is pretty decent when it comes to the Rogue.

MultipleNissans
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Sorry to bump an old thread but could use a little help re the ACC timer function with regard to the power outlets in the front console of the 2016 Rogue.

By way of context my need is to have a dash cam operate using the front power outlet in the console & have it come on & turn off with the ignition.

I searched the forum & found this thread which seems to be similar to my issue & am using it to seek some help.

By way of background, I had the dash cam in my 2013 Rogue & used the power outlet with an adapter. The power outlet was only "live" when in ON or ACC position which meant that I could have the dash cam come on & go off with the ignition. There didn't appear to be a delay function in the 2013 Rogue.

Moved the camera to the new Rogue, ran the wiring in the front of the headliner, down the A pillar & across to the power outlet in the front console & "assumed" that it would work as in previous Rogue.

And it does indeed work - however, turns out that the power outlets on the 2016 Rogue are "live" at all times or at least in mine.

Checked the owners manual which says that "the front & center console power outlets are powered only when the ignition switch is in the ON position, or while the accessory power is active" which is what I really wanted.

BUT, the manual goes on to say "when the ignition is in the OFF position, the front & center console power outlets STOP delivering power one minute after the door is opened & stays open".....

The manual goes on to say "if the door remains closed after the ignition is placed in the OFF position, the front & center console power outlets continue to deliver power until the accessory timer has elapsed".

My reality is that after I park the car & turn off the ignition the radio continues to play UNTIL I open the door. As soon as I do that the radio shuts down & the display goes blank BUT the power continues to be delivered to the power outlet thereby causing the dash cam to continue recording.

For that reason I don't think the issue is with the door ajar switch as was the case with a previous poster.

I've tried sitting there with the door open for several minutes but the outlet remains live. I also tried closing & locking the door but the power remains active.

AND, if I forget to unplug it, it's like the Duracell bunny and just keeps "going & going".....

I talked to the dealership about the contradiction between the manual & reality and they suggested that manual has it wrong & that's not the way they work......(???).

So as a work around, I could hard wire it & tap into the fuse box but that is not my preferred option.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas or suggestions that might point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

MultipleNissans
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Kindly disregard my previous post on this matter as I have sorted it out.

If I could delete the post I would but I don't know how, nor do I know how to edit the post.....

Sorry for any inconvenience.

ejt
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

MultipleNissans wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm
Kindly disregard my previous post on this matter as I have sorted it out.

If I could delete the post I would but I don't know how, nor do I know how to edit the post.....

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Sorry also from me for resurrecting an old thread but @MultipleNissans I hope you're still around. How did you figure this one out? I accidently flattened my 2018 Rogue battery with a dash cam not realizing the 12v would stay live if I didn't lock my car in the garage overnight. I don't want to not have one, but I also don't trust myself to remember to lock my car every time I come home since it's in a secured garage and has no other need to.

I've had it 2 days and had to jump it twice.

Thank you!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm going to check exactly how this works on a known-good Rogue at the shop on Tuesday, but from everything in the OM and FSM plus what I've seen in the course of repairs, the sockets should always shut down after the driver's door opens and then closes, or after 60 seconds if the door remains open. I suppose it's possible there's a glitch in the BCM firmware, but the whole setup is definitely keyed to the door switch working properly, so make sure your dome lights operate normally and you get a door ajar indication on the dash when open. If not you have a problem with the switch or wiring. I've also seen bad switches "fool" BCM's into weird behavior by "bouncing" or otherwise not making clean contact when the door operates. If there does turn out to be a software glitch that doesn't work like the OM says, but you want the cam to be portable, the best answer would probably be to cut the gators off a socket extension like this one and wire it into the Ignition position on one of the Accessory Ports in the kick panels, then snake the outlet up to the console or dash.

12V Extension.jpg
12V Extension.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

ejt

Thanks for this! I'm positive the dome lights behave as normal when the doors open/close. They come on and turn off as expected. And I do get the little dash light warning when a door is ajar, and it goes off when the door is closed. So I guess it's safe to say that works correctly.
I left a USB adapter in the 12v socket over the weekend and checked on it periodically over the course of an hour - in both the front socket and the one in the center console, the LED's in it remained on while the door was unlocked. If it was locked, they would turn off within 2 minutes. It's strange that the manual doesn't specify that locked or unlocked would matter. I don't want to keep risking a battery drain over and over by extensively testing overnight so for now, the dash cam is out. I ordered a hard wire kit from Amazon and will try my hand at that over the weekend hopefully. Portability isn't really an issue - I only have one car that I drive and I can either take all this out when I get something else, or just get a new camera. I've had the car 4 days now so It'll be mine for a good while yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXJD8W1?ps ... ct_details

EDIT: Actually... now you've made me think. Maybe this is all because I was testing via the passenger door. The dash cam wire was previously routed down the passenger side window, under the glove box and then up to the front 12v socket so I think after I first put it in this car, I only exited through the passenger door. The drivers door never came into play. Could that be it?!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ejt wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:52 pm
EDIT: Actually... now you've made me think. Maybe this is all because I was testing via the passenger door. The dash cam wire was previously routed down the passenger side window, under the glove box and then up to the front 12v socket so I think after I first put it in this car, I only exited through the passenger door. The drivers door never came into play. Could that be it?!
Yep. With respect to the ignition switch, the driver's door has a different effect on all the security and body systems than the other doors.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - If you want to hard mount your cam to the lane cam cover or someplace else in the roof, you have one or two options up there depending on your car's equipment. Light Green and Black at the Lane Cam connector are ignition and ground respectively. If you have the panoramic sunroof, Yellow in the sunroof sub-harness (not the roof harness, the little sub-harness which connects to the motors) is battery and Red is retained power for the power windows. The sub-harness is easy to access, just pull down the roof console front side first, it's only held in by two pawls at the front edge.

ejt

Welp, the car wouldn't start again this morning before work and it took quite some time for me to be able to jump it. I've had the battery replaced today so hopefully the issues I was having we due to the 5yr old battery and not what I had plugged into the sockets.

Having said that though, it's still good that I learned about them staying live when the passenger door is the last to close. I often walk around the passenger side to get things out so I'll have to be mindful to not do that I guess. Is there a way I can override this or make the 12v not live at all without the car running?! One of the many things I wish I could turn off on this thing.

Re. the hardwire - I only have the Rogue S, so don't have the sunroof etc you mentioned unfortunately. Our tentative plan was to wire it into the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel housing, and piggyback on the audio fuse since from visual cues, it appears that only comes on when the ingition is on. We'll test them all with a multimeter first to confirm they are switched and not always live, but that's what we're thinking.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nah, get an accessory pigtail and patch into the accessory expansion port. There's one above each kick panel, and adding stuff is what they exist for. You can get the pigtails anyplace for about $12, part number T99F6-4RA0A. Go to this website and pick out any electrical accessory for your ride, it will show you where the ports are located. Near the end of the file there will be diagrams with a signal pinout for the accessory ports:
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB ... tsbType=AI

ejt

Thanks... but that search yielded zero results no matter what I tried. I'm thoroughly confused now and pretty over it. I did find this via googling myself but this looks way beyond my comprehension level. Maybe someone more knowledgeable would be brave enough but I don't understand most of the terminology in the PDF so I think I'll just stick to our original plan. I have nothing else I need to install so that connector isn't necessary for my needs.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/resourc ... /1uv19.pdf

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're kind of overthinking this. The idea with using the accessory port is to not have to tap your fusebox or mess up your wires with splices, you make your splices at the pigtail and leave the car wiring alone. Those instructions you linked work, although they use the passenger side port instead of driver's side. If you look on page 6, it shows the location and pinout of the port. You only need the Ignition (1-White), Battery (2-Red), and Ground (12-Black), the other stuff is extraneous. Those three wires will be the same on the driver's side port, so you can use either one. Here's a direct link to the Welcome Lighting accessory, which uses and shows both connectors:
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc ... /1VQ39.PDF

Return to “Rogue Forum”