Navigation Hack.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
FNAWSM
Car: Diamond Graphite '06 M45

Im thinking about doing the Nav. hack/bypass tonight but i had a few quick questions. I have read all the threads and post about it on here but i wanted just a few things clarified from someone who has done it before on an 06 M. Would someone mind if i just gave them a quick call and asked rather than having to type back and forth on here? If you would rather i could email you my number and you could call me if you would rather. Thanks to anyone in advance.

jankenpo30

email me ya number, I'll try [email protected]

FNAWSM

email sent, thanks!

SammyTheBull
Car: 2006 M35 Sport

Please let me know how that went. I am interested

njjuliano
Car: 2010 M45X

Looking forward to the post, fnawsm. Here's hoping it will stick around, since they've been deleted before from what I see.

ShortBusFixer
Car: 2006 Ifiniti M45

i just did the navi hack my selft at work and the funny thing is that my brake light would come on when the switch was in the position to watch/input address mode. but now its not but everything works fine. did anybody else have that happen to them?

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

mmm...you have me wondering now....im gonna run to the garage to see if my brake light stays on when i hit the nav/hack switch.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

I am almost certain there are other posts on this forum about the brake light on this forum. They may have been elsewhere since fiveliter is curious, so I will go ahead and point out that, if I remember correctly, the issue is that you have the switch grounding the wire back to your controller. So if the hack isn't working, it is doing that instead of grounding the wire toward your NAV, and if it is working, it is grounding it in both directions.

fiveliterbeater

yeah i checkd last night and everything is ok. no brake light was on. you guys had me scared for a sec.

stumbleweed
Car: 06 M35x

SammyTheBull wrote:Please let me know how that went. I am interested
Ditto - If it goes well, I'm going to need help doing mine.

FNAWSM

Well the hack went really well. Everything works just as expected. I have Nav and DVD abilities when the switch is on and when off all is stock. Its a little intimidating at first because you are taking quite a few things apart on your dash and center console but if you just pay attention to how all goes together you should be fine when it comes time to put back together. I do plan on doing a "write up" on this here soon and hopefully it wont get deleted but who knows. All in all it took me about 2 hours but im really happy so far.

...To be continued soonish

mmm..good
Car: 2006 M35X Platinum Graphite

Looking forward to that write up!

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

me too.

Since it might get deleted because of laws in certain areas regarding watching things on a screen while moving, maybe you could put it in a text file and upload it to some place and then post a link to the file here. Also be sure and put a disclaimer with the link saying that Nico does not endorse modifying the car in any way and the user is completely responsible for knowing the laws for his area.

FNAWSM

Those are good suggestions because i dont want to type up my experience etc and then just have it deleted by the mods. Although ill be honest, i dont know how to do a text file and link it to "some place" etc nor do i really want to do all that. I pretty much followed the Ohmster hack to a T and that particular write up was pretty spot on with pictures and all and prepared me well for when i did my hack. I would def. like to write up my experience, any tips and suggestions i have, a few pictures and of course a disclaimer or 2 just to be safe.

Could a MODERATOR chime in here and tell me if this will just be deleted when i post it? If thats the case ill type it up in MS word and then email it to people that may want it.

If i have free time on Sunday ill try to put something together. If anyone has any questions about this before hand then ask me and ill surely help. Its not that hard really. If you are doing this, you should go ahead and order which switch you want online, (mine took about 3 days to come) they seem to be hard to find a DPDT switch locally thats not huge or that wouldnt stand out like crazy.

I also decided to mount my switch in my cigarette lighter hole. This worked for me perfectly because i do not smoke, nor to i charge anything there like my phone or anything and if i need to charge anything i have a 12-v port behind my center console i can use. I realize this location wont work for all but for me this was perfect because it didnt require me to drill any holes, its hidden by the lid and easy to get to. Its also lit up by the orange ring around the lighter which makes it look real cool and clean, and the switch can easily be removed without having a hole to fill later. Obviously you can mount it where ever works best for you, the procedure to get to the mounting stage will be the same for us all.

Hopefully ill hear from the MODS soon and ill get something up for you guys, gnight!

FNAWSM

could a moderator chime in?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Not a problem posting it here. We have other similar directions too.

Z

fiveliterbeater

i could've sworn that NAV hack threads in the past were deleted by mods cause they were considered dangerous or something. so is it ok to post nav hacks then?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I thought it had gotten deleted too. But someone just bumped it up to the top.

FNAWSM

Well sorry i havent gotten around to the write-up yet, i assure you i will but i thought i would post a pic or 2 of my Nav hack switch location so you can see how it turned out. Sorry ahead of time for the huge pics, but i dont know how to make them smaller. Let me know what you think.

Now you see it: Now you dont: [IMG][/IMG]

biffed
Car: 2006 M35

FNAWSM,

Love the look of the switch in the cig lighter.. could you shoot me an email with all the componets needed to do this.. i am going to tackle it this weekend as well.. I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks

FNAWSM

yeah ill email you what i needed for my hack. I had to order the switch online so if you do it soon you could have it by this weekend, it took about 2-3 days to come after i ordered it. The one i got fit directly into the cigarette slot without any mods of any sorts. This was nice because it was easy and i didnt have to drill any holes in my interior.

biffed
Car: 2006 M35

Very cool... Thanks.. My email is in my profile..

Thanks again

zangler

might as well post the components here...very interested in doing this myself.

FNAWSM

Well here is a link to the switch that i used. It is an exact fit for the cigarette lighter location. This switch has rather large connectors on the back and by that i mean it would be real easy to solder your wires to or you can also use the quick crimp female connectors like i did so that you dont have to solder and you can also disconnect them rather easy if you need to.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductD...m8%3d

As for other materials, i used exactly what the Ohmster hack describes other than the heat shrink wrap. I used about 10 feet of Cat 5 cable, 5 quick connectors, electrical tape, 1 spade connector which is the round crimp on connector that i used on the end of my ground wire so that i could get a good connection to my ground screw. You will also need a screw driver or drill and wire strippers. All the wires are very very thin so you might want to practice stripping them on some extra Cat 5 wire before you get to the wires on the nav harness or after you have run all your wires because they are so thin they are hard to strip and not cut completely through.

One thing i want to clarify that may help other doing the hack is that you dont have to use Cat 5 wire but its nice because it is all contained and is clean and easy to keep hidden. When you strip off the outer covering you will find 8 wires paired into 4 couples. You will actually only use 2 of these pairs (4 wires) and the others are not used so you can just cut them off flush so they dont get in your way. When it comes time to ground your switch i just cut about 2 feet of cat 5 wire and then took out 1 of the 8 wires within and used that to ground, one end will quick connect to your switch and the other will have a spade connector and attach to a grounded screw inside your middle console under the cup holder area.

You will notice that when you take out your cigarette lighter you will see holes inside at the bottom. I ran the Cat 5 wires up through those holes BEFORE you crimp on your quick connectors otherwise they will not fit through. I left the wires extra long so that i had room to work and after you solder or quick connect to your switch you can then feed the slack back through the holes as you put your switch in.

95% of the hack is exactly like the ohmster hack, the only thing i did diff was switch location and the way i connected to my switch. Feel free to ask questions and if it helps we can talk on the phone rather than over the computer.

WaynesNside
Car: 06 QX56
06 M45 Sport
94 S10 (beater)

zangler wrote:might as well post the components here...very interested in doing this myself.
I'd like to do this soon also. Some of the original pics on the thread are not there anymore but I copied the whole thread to use when I try to get this mod done.

mac1183
Car: 06 M45S

I'm gonna grave rob this thread here in hopes someone can help me out.

I did this hack this weekend but did not have the intended results and am trying to figure out where i went wrong. I followed the guide on CARfaq.com

Now the parking brake still has to be set but also the switch has to be flipped to the engaged position.

Pretty sure I used the correct 2 wires?

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

I'm no electrician, but it sounds like you've got your wires crossed...have you tried disconnecting everything and attaching it all again?
I followed Ohmster's directions to the T, but had some issues when I realized one of my connections had come loose--I didn't solder stuff, in case I wanted to go back to stock even though I made hole inside of my armrest...you may want to check your connections to make sure one of them didn't come loose.

Craig

mac1183
Car: 06 M45S

Everything is soldered. I may have made a mistake somewhere but its not a connection come loose.

edit: Now to remove foot from mouth, I found a connection that was soldered strong enough to not pull apart but was not making a good enough connection to conduct. :tisk: Wrapped it all together and it works. Re solder and shrink when I get home from work and all is right with the world.

Arlo
Car: 2006 M35x

sweet thanks

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

glad it worked out... :gapteeth:

apparently there's a company out there that makes a cable and switch that is plug and play--but I don't think it's very cheap.
DPDT switch was the most expensive part, +connectors/shrink tubing/wire etc. from RadioShack, my time was prolly the biggest cost!

sometimes you need someone to state the obvious because you get blinded to things because you've been looking at them for so long.

where did you end up putting your switch?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”