Nav System - can it do this, should it?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

I was driving along the other day playing with the zoom in/out and got to thinking every time I get in the car and hit a free way I like to zoom out so I can see more of the road, but when in residential/downtown area I like to zoom in more to see better details;

I then got to thinking how could this be done automagic?

If the speed sensor was used it could be done...

Has anyone thought of this, or thinks its a good idea?

tk

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Certainly sounds like a great idea, but I doubt that any of the systems do it! I use the Hertz Neverlost for my rentals and those (both the Magellan and older Rockwell systems) don't either.

Sounds like a natural thing to recommend to Infiniti! Since it is all software really, they might be able to do it for future updates.

Z

russg

Infiniti's OEM nav system won't auto zoom, but every Garmin unit I've seen that does auto routing has an auto zoom feature that can be optionally enabled. But the auto zoom function isn't driven by speed.

Instead, it is driven by the distance to the next critical decision point (like an upcoming turn, exit, etc.), waypoint, or final destination. For instance, if on the open highway, and your next decision point is say 100 miles away, the map will zoom out to a large scale that will always show your current location and that next decision point, both visible on the map. As you get closer to the decision point, the map will continuously zoom in step by step, always keeping both your current location as well as the next decision point in view on the map. The closer you get to your decision point, the tighter the scale and the more detail is rendered on the map. Once you have past the decision point, the map will automatically zoom out to the appropriate scale, in order to show current location and the subsequent decision on the route. Very natural, and more relevant than if triggered simply by speed.

I use a Garmin V in my truck and always enable the auto zoom feature. I wish the nav in my M45 had a similar feature.

Scott in Houston
Car: M35 Sport, 996 Twin Turbo, Ford Explorer

Would be a great 'option' but it would drive me nuts personally, so it it had better be an option!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Agreed! That sounds like something people not knowing anything about features would somehow enable and then would complain because "MY NAV SYSTEM IS GOING CRAZY!"

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

Why not use the built in split screen mode? Show zoom in on one side and zoom out on the other side.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Honestly im kinda glad they kept it simple... I thikn the Nav screen on the M is very well thought out... it makes sense by and large, and I think overall people dont really have any complaints, sure people can think of ways to make it better for them, but I think infiniti did good pleasing everyone

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”