natural wear and tear spring question

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
ESPER

wsup, i just got a used set of RSR springs for my s14. my qustion is, what is the usual life of springs?? they have been used for abour 15,00 miles and have paint chipped off and rust at certain spots. is this ok or should something be done to refinish them?? or was i ripped off??

thanks ro all who reply!!

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

do you have any way to verify how many miles are on the springs? If not, you may have gotten screwed. Most springs dont lose their coatings very easily, and any rust is bad.

Under normal circumstances, 15k isnt many miles for a spring, you can easily expect 50k out of a spring without deterioration in its charicteristics(assuming its good quality). Some good springs last over 75k without problems. YOu really wont notice any difference even after 70k usually, because any degradation in the spring(as with shocks) is gradual, so unless you have a way to emasure the rebound or tension rate of the spring..you really cant give definite assessments of how well it is "holding up".-chet

ESPER

hMmM, i dont have a 100% gauranteed amount of the miles unfortunately.......i feel bad now heheh any other indications i should look out for?

thanks though exar-kun

ESPER

and by "lasting over 70k" do u mean that they shouldnt have any chipped coarting or rust??

regardless i have no choice to use them and they should be better than my stock ones!!

ESPER

and 1 last thing, should i keep them?? is there any other way to check if they are still good or not??

thanks again to all who help!!

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

I meant over 70k without collapsing or deteriorating in its tension. UNless you have a way to compression test the spring, you wont know how good they are.-chet

ESPER

HMm ok, well do mechanic shops and stuff have tools to check how much compression were on the springs??

but yeha, i guess i am stuck with them, thanks though!!

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”