NA vs NB tops

Since so many NICOclub staffers and members own a Miata, here's a spot to discuss the car Nissan wishes it had built!
Jesda

I'm considering trading my Cadillac for an NB.

Why an NB? Because the top can be opened by undoing the latch and throwing it over your head while the NA requires you to undo a zipper. With the wide variety of Missouri weather conditions, it's nice to be able to put the top up and down as quickly as possible.

Were all NAs like this or did later years get the updated one-step top?

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I'm not aware of all NA tops being like that Jesda. I think most NA's likely have had their top replaced and on replacement tops it's an option to get a zippered back window. I did not go with one myself when I replaced my top and it does make life A LOT easier. The old top was a pain to unzip, especially with the roll bar in mine.

The only reason I would consider an NB over an NA would be for it being a newer car and having the 1.8 in it. I prefer the NA, but finding one clean and well cared for, without an outrageous price tag seems to be quite hard around my area. Mine is my second car as well, so if I were going to get one for a DD I would probably go for an NB or even an NC because of more creature comforts.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

Jesda bro NA man NA don't get a NB that is for the queers.

On my NA there are two little releases on the windshield frame and then you toss it back like salad

Greenblurr93

The difference is in the frame. you can swap NA and NB tops as long as the frame goes with it (So get a cooler NA and put an NB top on it)

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Only the literal top is different (frames are the same AFAIK). You can buy tops with zip out windows or without. Hell, you can still buy plastic windows.

The only major differences you'll find with zip out vs fold down windows are:
- if you install a roll bar. Some bars mate better with the zip out windows.
- rearward visibility. Zip outs get a larger window of viewing.

I have a zip out and prefer that. The reason is much to your point, actually. When I'm trying to out run a storm and fail, I can pull my top up & latch with one hand while going as fast as 30-35mph. Since the window zips out and the gaping hole is there, I don't have the drag that the full window would cause. Even in pouring rain, you're not going to get wet as long as you're moving.
It takes me about 4 seconds to unzip my window when the top is up and the car is in the garage. It really isn't a hassle.

Greenblurr93

When I swapped mine, the frame was different, it would still bolt in, but the bars were different and if i remember correctly there was an extra bar in the NB frame

Return to “Miata Madness”