N320 Tune-up Advise and Tips

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_Razor

Hi

I would like to replace the distributor contact points, spark plugs & leads & distributor cap

Now i had a quick look and tried removing the distributor cap and its a bit tricky or even hard to take it off. After unclipping the cap off it hits the transmission gear selector rod/shaft (attached to the steering). I have to stick my finger in to remove the distributor rotor so I can pull the cap off.

And then I realised taking the contact points will be harder as its sideways and I couldnt even see the screw holding it on to the dizzy body.

If I try removing the whole distributor it will still foul/hit the gear selector rod/shaft???

Advice please

Thanks

IMH

Wow, that's a problem I've never considered since my 320 is LHD so the linkage is on the other side.   Does your distributor have the standard side exit wires or the top exit wires like the J13-15-16-18?

matti

I'm not sure if you have had a look under the floor mat yet, but in case you didn't know the trans tunnel unbolts from the floor leaving the whole gearbox exposed. It takes about five mins to undo and the gear selector shaft has a pin with a nut on the end of it holding it to the gearbox. Once this pin is removed you can get that lever out of your way and attack the dizzy. A bit of work I know but it won't take half the time of getting your timing back in if you have a doubt on how to do it. When you remove the dizzy it will turn the rotor slightly. If you dont have your engine at No 1 TDC or take note of where the rotor was originaly you'll be in a world of hurt. Apart from this I can't help what I can't see, sorry, and good luck.

cheers

odpl_Razor

IMH my distributor is a side exit type

and I found a new old stock from fleabay and also rotor button.

Apparently I can use contact points off a mini (but still haven found out from Brunop which mini)

Also found some contact points for sale in fleabay for 320 Bosch GH200 is this right?

went to supercheap and no listing for ignition parts for 320s as I expected

IMH

I'm not sure on the contact points.  I know that Nissan used two different versions of that earlier distirbutor.  Hitachi and Mitsubishi.  I don't know if the points/rotor, etc. would be different from one to the other.   All of the parts info includinng diagrams of both of these distributors are in the parts catalog that Ken downloaded in the parts diagram section on this site.   Pages 81-87. 

odpl_Razor

How do you adjust the distributor for adjusting the ignition timing?

there's two bolts attached to the plate and one bolt on the side of the plate, tried undoing the bolt and move the distributor body but it wont.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/ ... /dizzy.jpg[/img]

Sorry I dont quite understand the service manual

I want to adjust with my timing gun

matti

I posted another thread for you in the other section before I saw this one sorry. If you backoff the three bolts you mentioned you can't go wrong. You will notice in the diagram that the base plate 22179-01302 has two elongated holes this is all the room you have for adjustment. If the dizzy is hard to move it's probably because the dizzy seal is old and adhered to the dizzy shaft or the adjustment plate is gunked up. Try giving the base of the dizzy area a degrease before playing with it.

Again good luck!

odpl_Razor

I got my new dizzy cap and guess what they're different, they have flat top and not screw ons for the plugs.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/ ... zzyCap.jpg[/img]

What type of spark plug leads fit on these type of dizzy cap? how do you attach it to the cap?

matti

Take it into a spare parts shop and they should be able to use any high tension leads (unless your leads are copper) Any way even a 120y set of leads should come close. All you have to do is peel back the little cover over the end of the leads and it will hopefully plug right in. If you do it at the parts shop they should be able to get you a set that fits perfect.

cheers

odpl_Razor

I just drove me ute round the block and the pinging seems to be gone after replacing spark plugs, cleaning to rotor, and cap, also I adjusted the timing...yes the dizzy moved after tapping it with a little flat hammer.

I'm going to adjust the steering again as its not perfectly centred.

odpl_Razor

removed the steering wheel again but didnt drive it to test if centred, will try later.

Its getting easier and easier removing/installing the steering wheel.

anyway

this is what I was talking about blocking the dizzy for matti

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/ ... Dizzy2.jpg[/img]

To be able to remove the dizzy cap I unclip the cap 1st then remove the rotor button by sticking my finger inside and when thats out you can take the dizzy cap off.

matti

That's awesome, what a stuff around. This bad boy is off the J15 in my ute. Look familiar?

matti

here's a pic of the lead ends I was talking about.

odpl_Razor

Looks exactly the same as the one i just got off fleabay!!!

odpl_Razor

the ends looks like a normal HT leads without the cap

thanks for the photos

now that the cap is most probably for J engine I'm not sure if it will work with the E engine

matti

here is a pic of the j15 with minimal clearance off the steering, however I have just enough room to get the cap off without the stuff around

matti

woops my 5mth daughter just took the controls:)

odpl_Razor

OK 1st I need to clean my engine bay!!!

your one looks very very clean

to me the dizzy looks like its located lower or the column shifter rod is higher?

its already hard getting your arms in that space without hitting anything causing grease on arms

kenbagby

Razor, check your motor mounts. My U-320 has the distributor on the same side as yours and I had no trouble with the space between the shifting mechanism and the distributor cap. The only thing that makes sense is that your engine has shifted down on the driver side causing the problem with clearance.

Return to “Datsun 320”