N320 High Beam / Low Beam not working

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
odpl_Razor

Hi

I'm not exactly sure which one is not working the high beam or the low beam

When the switch on the floor is depress and light swith knob pulled to on position the lights come on, when you depress the floor switch again while the lights switch knob is on... headlights not working

Can anyone please advice what could be disconnected or what should I look for?

I need to get my car registered and this is one of the reasons I cant...

Thanks in advance

kenbagby

Razor, the floor switch is where I'd start after pluging in a new headlight and checking that first. Take the switch off and check the connections. Follow the wires out to where they connect and make sure all the wires are tight. You could then disconnect the switch and check it with an ohms meter. Then cross wires and see if the lights work. The other very outside possibility is that both headlights are burned out in either low or high beam. This does happen, believe it or not. When my wife and I first got married she complained her headlights weren't working on high beam. I worked on it "cussing all the way" for the better part of the afternoon. She came out and said "I'll bet the headlights are burned out". To which I said "no way" both could be burned out at the same time. Well guess who ate crow a few minutes later? Yep! You may also want to check out our diagram section for the 320 because it shows the wiring with color codes for the switch. I just checked and the red-yellow wire is the power wire from the switch to the dash switch, the other two wires run to the headlight and I don't see a relay so if your headlights are good it's got to be the floor switch. Hope that helps. Ken

odpl_Razor

thanks for that

i'll try replacing the headlights 1st and see how i go

cheers

odpl_Razor

Hi again

I bought new headlamps and that does the same thing... high beam or the low beam is not working

the switch on the floor's wiring looks all connected and if i press that the low beam or the high beam will work (dont know which one is working) but definitely just one of them is working

whats an alternative switch if the floor switch is faulty? cant buy a replacement part anymore

any more suggestions?

kenbagby

My suggestion would be to remove the floor switch after you determine it is bad, then take it to (don't know if you've got a NAPA) a parts house and see if they can find a close match. You may want to print out that section of the wiring diagram or at least memorize what each terminal connects to.  If you don't have a car parts place that carries foot dimmers let me know and we might be able to find and mail one to you. Ken

mklotz70

The schematic I'm referencing is on the classicdatsuntrucks forum on yahoo.  Maybe Ken or Paul can see about adding it to this site.....maybe it's here...I haven't looked.

Ken is right, it's most likely your dimmer switch unless someone has messed with the wiring.

The high beams are the red/white wire.  You'll find it on the back of the headlights and the dimmer switch.

The low beams are the red/black wire.  You'll find it in the same locations.

The dimmer switch is fed by a red/yellow wire from the headlight switch.

Use a test light.  Check from ground to the r/y on the dimmer switch with the headlight switch on.  It should be there.  Then put the light on each of the other two and see which one get power and which doesn't.    If they both get power, then go to the back of the headlights and check for voltage there to see which is missing.  Which even is missing will have to be traced back to find where the line is broken. 

Most likely, you won't have one of them at the dimmer switch.

Like it was said, you can get a generic dimmer switch at NAPA or any older american car in the scrapyard.

Good luck.

71-521

ok...here it is:

71-521

and 2...

71-521

and a relay diagram...not sure if it fits a 320 or not...

posted by some guy named Mike back on Nov 6, 2004!

kinda sounds like the relay is bad...if you have one!

mklotz70

Not sure why it didn't take the last post I made......

Nope...no relay on the 320.  The foot switch will handle the load.  The blinker switch on the 521's  sends a ground to the headlight relay to tell it high or low, but all the power for the lights goes through the headlight switch.   The relay only diverts the power to high or low.

All the power goes through the headlight switch on the 320's too.

So it would be a good idea to put a relay in the circuit before the dimmer switch or relay to get the main load off the headlight switch.

odpl_Razor

thanks for the posts and wiring diagram

I'll check the foot switch again, if I cant tackle the job might just call a mobile electrician.

I'm planning to install a H4 headlight conversion later with relays I just want to make the lights work for registration purposes 1st

mklotz70

Calling a mobile guy??  Ouch....they're not cheap around here.

Just get a cheap test light, point the tip on the incoming line to the dimmer switch and the clamp on a good ground(doesn't matter that it's a positve ground) and turn the headlights on.  It should light.  With the dimmer switch in click to the point where you have your headlights on, put the tip on each of the other two wires.  One of them should light up, answering the question.  

If you want to check the other circuit, switch the two out going wires and turn the headlights back on.  If your lows were working before, your highs should be on now....or vice versa.

If doing that blows a fuse, then there's a problem in the other circuit and that's what killed the dimmer switch.  If you don't know anything at all about electrical....now you might want to call the mobile guy.

I just hate to see you pay someone else good money just to find out it's something simple.

odpl_Razor

Good thing I didnt call a mobile electrician, had a go today thought might just double check the foot switch and everything seems connected fine but I tried disconnecting the wire for the low beam and the connectors are corroded so scratched it to make good contact again to test and lucky me its working as it should!!!

I might renew the connectors when I do my H4 conversion as I'm planning to change the wire to bigger one and install realys.

Thank you very much [user=5]mklotz70[/user] for your patience, checking and posting here for advices.

mklotz70

You're more than welcome, but it wasn't all me. :)

Return to “Datsun Chat”