n14 sr20de chain/guides problem

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
ard
Car: 1989 200sx ca18det

hello,

i have encountered very strange problem and i need your suggestions - it seems that chain gets to much tension and is making noise when slides on chain guides.today i have changed tensioner to part# 13070-2J203 (as i know this is the newest tensioner available), because my engine had nasty chain slap sound on start-up. now my car starts up fine. oil pressure rises very fast and it seemed that everything is ok, but after few minutes of idling, i got that chain/chain guide "some kind of" sliding noise. it is not very harsh, but is clearly heard.it is definately not powersteering pump/water pump/ alternator - i have removed both belts to make sure. i have also removed the 1308553J11 - the upper chain guide (between camshaft sprockets).so it is possible for sound to come from those: chain (it seems to be ok, does not have bad scores or anything. engine has about 150k kms on it so chain should be ok. but it seems that tensioner has pushed it very far though), two chain guides (both seems to be ok, doesn't look that they are badly worn), tensioner (it is completely new).I am running out of ideas - what the hell could it be?overtighted/stretched chain? but i haven't heard that sound before with my old tensioner.worn chain guides? they could not wear out while i was changing tensioner.

maybe there is some kind of oil squirter that lubricates the chain while it slides over chain-guides? maybe it got blocked by debris? if so, where is it?

more info about that sound - it comes when deaccelerating on very low rpm's (2k and below), also on idle. it is not heard when revving up. comes from tensioner side chain-guide.

so, please suggest something, because i'm starting to hate that car

tomorrow i will install my old tensioner to check if the sound goes away.

thanks for reading. sorry for very long post though.

ard.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

You can also remove the chain guides if replacing the tensioner didn't help.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”