n00b question

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
S13geek

I don't own a 240SX yet, but I'm most likely buying one in the next couple of months. I want to do an SR20 swap by next summer, and I'm looking into all the details. I know a fair amount of general information about engines and performance, and a decent amount about the 240 specifically. One question I have, that I have not been able to find the answer to on the internet, is regarding the transmission for an SR swap. Is it possible to use the US 5-speed, or is the j-spec tranny required?

Sorry for the length, replies appreciated.

Daunttless

I would suggest using the SR20s actual transmission, however you CAN use the KA's transmission but you need to swap bellhousings. Finding a SR bellhousing is about as cheap as just buying the transmission from the start. : ) Good Luck!

trpower7

Also, it is usually assumed that when you order the SR from any reputable company to do the swap, teh tranny comes with it. And don't try to swap bellhousings, it isn't worth it to say the least.

Daunttless

Eh, I figured he was just getting the engine from some place. However, TR makes a very good point, most quality engine suppliers provide you with the transmission as part of your cost, unless you had some undying urge to use the KA tranny.

S13geek

Thanks guys. I know that most engines come with ECU and transmission, but my friend who works at a speed shop of sorts has contacts and can get me an engine + ecu for $1200. He said they sold it without the transmission though, which I thought was really strange, and they said the US transmission would bolt up directly to an SR20. I was just double checking the information I heard.

italianopride21

i know u probably heard this before, but if u can get an engine "cheap" than thats exactly watch ur gettin most times is a cheap engine. Its also better to get a front clip just to make sure everything is there. good luck!

S13geek

I have heard that before, and the only reason I hadn't immediately discounted this was that the source is pretty reputable.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”