n00b-2017 MTS Sentra Vibrations

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
'17MTSsentra
Car: 2017 MTS Sentra

HI, new and have searched the forum first for vibration issues. Found many but not quite what I experience.

Felt this on the initial test drive but thought it was tires flat spotted from setting who knows how long. Bought it new with 12 miles.

Vibration 1.)
Morningitis: the Bridgestone Turanzas P205/55R16 mounted on the factory steel wheels wake up with flat spots. Extremely noticeable but that goes away within two miles of driving. I traded my 2015 MTS Versa Sedan that had similar Morningitis.
I can live with that and I get a morning massage until the third stop sign.
Question 1.)
Will P205/65R16 or P205/70R16 give me interference in the wheel well? anyone switch to either size?

Vibration 2.)
5th gear whine. I think its 5th, it could be the final drive but its mostly noticeable in 5th and light load.
My Versa only started to whine after 30,000 miles but I don't have any heartburn. Its gears I figure and its likely normal>? Don't hear it over lo radio volume but just curious if anyone has input.
Question 2.)
Is this a normal whine probably>?

Vibration 3.)
This one is a deal breaker imo and at this time I'm quite disappointed.
Most prominently about 50mph to 65mph I get a resonating vibration not unlike a driveshaft phasing issue. It reminds me of a 2nd or 3rd order drive-line vibration of some yesteryear rear drive cars and trucks.
The intensity throbs and is most noticeable under loaded 5th gear, or upon part throttle decel at same speeds and becomes non existent when you float near neutral throttle load. Overall it is not violent and not in the wheel or column. It emanates from the floor and seat. It feels like rough road or a very light washboard or wake-up divots but it is resonant.

Similar in 4th and in 6th but I won't use 6th until 1,000-2,000 mile mark for break-in.
I truly feel this is one for the field service rep pronto.
I'd love to put a reed tach on the dash just to see what frequencies he is sounding off at. It seems to NOT be tire or wheel speed, much faster and phasing. Bad timing for the dealership service department but I'm going to see if the store is open today. Otherwise its a Tuesday trial. Love the difference in shift feel between the Versa and the Sentra!
Question 3.)
Has anyone experienced this type of resonance/vibration on the 6-spd manuals or Sentra line? If you have, does it go away after the suspension and drive-line settle in>? i fear it won't.
Any input is appreciated in advance!

Thanks, ---'17MTSsentra

'17MTSsentra

'17MTSsentra wrote: Vibration 1.)
Morningitis: the Bridgestone Turanzas P205/55R16 mounted on the factory steel wheels wake up with flat spots. Extremely noticeable but that goes away within two miles of driving.
Dealer response: "Set tire pressures and put more miles on it." (no fix but I'm not concerned too much, I consider it tire compound at this point.) I'll put more miles on it.
'17MTSsentra wrote: Vibration 2.)
5th gear whine. I think its 5th, it could be the final drive but its mostly noticeable in 5th and light load.
My Versa only started to whine after 30,000 miles but I don't have any heartburn. Its gears I figure and its likely normal>? Don't hear it over lo radio volume but just curious if anyone has input.
Question 2.)
Is this a normal whine probably>?
Dealer response: "Yeah its transmission its pressure on the slave cylinder and put more miles on it."
(Whut?- I am convinced that it is final drive whine, especially in "float or near float" conditions 40-50mph. Gone under moderate load. Quite annoying because I'm generally a light throttle driver.) I'll put more miles on it.
'17MTSsentra wrote: Vibration 3.)
This one is a deal breaker imo and at this time I'm quite disappointed.
Most prominently about 50mph to 65mph I get a resonating vibration not unlike a driveshaft phasing issue. It reminds me of a 2nd or 3rd order drive-line vibration of some yesteryear rear drive cars and trucks.
The intensity throbs and is most noticeable under loaded 5th gear, or upon part throttle decel at same speeds and becomes non existent when you float near neutral throttle load. Overall it is not violent and not in the wheel or column. It emanates from the floor and seat. It feels like rough road or a very light washboard or wake-up divots but it is resonant.
Dealer response: "Yeah, we feel it, you got 5yr/60 powertrain warranty and Nissan dealers out west (I am rolling west for 4weeks) If it gets worse stop in and have them look at it. Come on back after your trip and it may loosen up by the time you return." (Welp, I doubt it will fix itself but I can buy into the loosening up theory a bit, I didn't want them to start taking it apart just now anyway.) I guess its ball three and I'll put more miles on it. I'm 100% certain it won't leave me walkin.

And I'm not negative about the dealership results. I'd likely to have advised the exact same things.(other than the slave cylinder thing but they are more familiar with the systems than me) I bought a quart of oil for the trip anyway.
I'll revisit soon. Its got only 220 miles on it.

Thanks for the views, ---'17MTSsentra

'17MTSsentra

6020 miles later.
Just a quickie,

1st service in Colorado. No appt, and transient in wait status. 3,875 miles on the clock then.
Although I got there early I was five back and had time to say 'cool' to an estimated 2hr wait.
Oil and fluid service and rotate and whatever. Initial estimate was $137.00

Free coffee and water and a fully attended pay4 snack shop / lounge / deli and smoothie bar. Tons of accessories displayed. Felt like a Harley store programming model. Neato for a first timer compared to hometown store. (we have similar but way under-scale comparison)

Done under an hour and bill was $67. for whatever reason. First oil OUT! yea.. Now we can use 6th gear.
And we did. on the way home that is.

This poor little engine needed 3rd and 4th just to keep 60mph in the Rockies. Not unlike my 250cc touring motorcycle (for real) followed the same expressways and state routes. The Sentra gets half the mileage the bike gets on the road but we (two, not solo) stayed dry and cool and packed a little more in. It did very well overall.

Car handles much better than the '15 Versa sedan on the expressway. Could be a bit more stable but it is a great improvement.

I like the 1.6L NA (Versa) engine more than the 1.8L NA (Sentra) but a bit more power and the long stroke low end suit the Sentra.
I figure since they turbo the 1.6 its probably a bit more robust for the pressures and the revs.

All said, the Sentra calls out 37.8 mpg by display but I have yet to calculate the real deal. I suspect 32 mpg and that is cool for western expressway speeds and winds and mountains and break-in and 4,000 mile 5th gear limitations. Next post will have the actuals.

The vibrations did not dissipate however at 75 and 80 mph limits its not as amped.
My reed tach came while we were out! Still a preliminary but FUNNY thing I did notice is:
Engine vibrates at 1000rpm and 2000 rpm in pronounced way
You cannot hold the throttle to 1000 rpm engine speed; CANT DO IT
it won't let you. Suspect programming to mask intake tuning or primary balance or just to keep you from feeling a bad vibe at an engine speed you'll never operate at. 2000 RPM has the severe engine vibration but not 3000 or 4000 or 5000.
Also just noticed at 2000 RPM its got some valve ping or piston slap or piston pin rattle or cam phasing clatter-- i donno. it sounds bad. But it is just a window of RPM and you can accelerate and float it to ~2000 RPM and really get it to sound off.
Not saying anything is wrong, just want some answers about what the noises emanate from and why and such.
Same questions as what the driveline vibrations are.

stay, uh... tooned

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”