Mystery electrical problem; engine won't start and windows won't roll up.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jilminen
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

Hi Everyone, I've run into a mysterious issue with my Infiniti J30. I was driving home from work, got about a block away, and it died out at the stoplight. When I try to start it, the engine turns over, but it just won't fire up. Not only that, but I had the front windows part of the way down, and they won't move now. (Neither will the back windows, and the retractable antenna retracted about 80% and stopped. The headlights and radio work fine. I've tried jump starting it and charging the battery. I've inspected all the fuses, in the cab and in the engine, and they all look fine. I've even tried that trick to reset the ECM by turning it to diagnostic mode and back twice. Then I even got another ECM from a junkyard and tried that in the vehicle. Nothing seems to work. My OBD tool just says "Error" when I try to read for codes. My theory is that something is wrong with the electrical system that has stopped all electric motors in the car from working, which would keep it from starting (since the fuel pump is electric) and keep the windows and radio antenna from working. But if it's not the fuses, I don't know what it could be. Any ideas?
:gotme :confused:

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

wtf?

gsf1200s
Car: 1993 J30 (no longer with us)
2012 Nissan Versa
2003 Chevy Silverado
2003 Suzuki Bandit
1971 Honda CB750k1

sounds like you've tried all the normal stuff. As a shot in the dark I would also check all your ground connections. have you load tested the battery? the reason i ask, a couple of the motorcycles i have had do similar things when the battery is dying.

vonscorpio
Car: Current:
15 Q50S
91 M30
Past:
16 QX50
11 G25x RIP
97 I30 RIP
01 QX4
11 G37 Sedan
07 Maxima

I'm curious if you got this figured out. I may be a little late to the party.

I have heard of something like this happening before, and if I recall correctly, it ended up being either a main fuse (or fusible link depending on the model, unsure on the J30) or corrosion on the end of the battery/alternator (+ side) terminal under the fuse box.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”