Mystery code 14

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Z-bass
Car: 1993 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

OK, folks, here's a new one.....

I've got a ECU code 14, the speedo & odometer are functional, but the cruise control doesn't work.

I've previously replaced the instrument cluster when the speedo/odometer/CC failed (no code was thrown).
The A/T light blinks upon start-up (then turns off), but the trans shifts properly, and otherwise, my Z drives normally.

Does the the VSS have a separate feed to the the CC, or does the speedo feed the CC, or does the CC get a signal from somewhere completely different (A/T maybe), and where does the code 14 come into the picture if my speedo works ?

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Check the wiring diagrams in the EL section in the FSM (link in my signature), you should be able to trace the wiring routing there and get some insight into your issue.

Z-bass
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks NLZ32 !

I solved this issue during the course of my digital dash project.

Turns out that the circuit board that drives the speedo, also sends a signal to the cruise control (CC) and the ECU.

In my particular instance, the driver partially failed. Although the speedo functioned properly, the part of the circuitry that sends a signal to the CC & ECU had failed, throwing a code 14.

What initially threw me off course, was that previously, the speedo had failed entirely. In either case, the VSS was not the cause.

As the speedo driver modifies the signal that is sent to the CC & ECU from the VSS, it cannot be "jumpered" between terminals within the instrument cluster to fix a partial failure. As with a complete speedo failure, the only way to fix this issue is to replace the instrument cluster in its entirety, or, if possible, replace just the speedo.

Upon close inspection of the speedo driver circuit board, it is apparent as to why they fail. 2 of 3 circuit boards I have come across have significant corrosion in a section of the board. It would not be a stretch to say that the corrosion caused a circuit failure (short).

I attempted to clean one of the circuit boards after it had failed completely, and unfortunately, that did not work.
I attempted to clean another board after it had begun to exhibit signs of failure, and that appears to have worked.

Cleaning involved nothing more than carefully wiping away all the debris with a dry Q-tip. Ensure that there is no debris bridging the circuit etchings with a magnifying glass or other magnification source. Circuit etchings are normally copper-colored, however, the corrosion will cause substantial discoloration, making the etching difficult to trace.

As with all electronics - please ensure that you are properly grounded before handling the circuit board, as built-up static electricity can easily destroy the electronics contained on the board !

shar75
Car: 1990 300zxtt 2007 NISMO 350Z #134

Having some issues with speedo. Since it doesn't work and cruise obviously doesn't work with no signal.
What circuit board are you referring to that you cleaned.

The cruise quit working awhile back, thinking it was a sensor front the pedals let it go. Until the speedo didnt work and shot up to max speed and stayed there. Assuming it was a cluster issue got a new one. Didnt solve problem as speedo erratically works.
Swapped out speed sensor with a used one to check if its functioning. Was thinking that the harness my have a break but dont want to waste money on a part that's not going to fix it.

Z-bass
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

The circuit board that I'm referring to is attached to the speedo faceplate & pointer.

You'll have to disassemble the instrument cluster, and unscrew the speedo assembly from the instrument cluster "tray".

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”