Mysterious bracket, anyone recognize it?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
conley
Car: '89 B12 Sedan, '88 Pulsar NX SE, '75 Datsun B210, '05 Matrix XRS

Hello everyone! I have a question for you all.
Where does this bracket go?
Banana for scale

The engine is an RNU12 Bluebird CA18DET, the AWD motor with the top mount intercooler, which I'm slowly swapping into an 88 Pulsar NX.
I took my CA18 apart to the short block like, 2 years ago. I labeled most of the items I removed, and took tons of pictures step by step to assist in reassembly. However, while my engine was at the machine shop, my phone shat itself and I lost all of the pictures, as they were on internal data. It sucked butt and has set me back a couple years. The whole thing seemed so overwhelming especially without those pictures to guide me.

I'll get the ambition back, get some progress done for a while, and then I'll get stuck/lost somewhere, and stop. The process goes over and over

Anyways, I have an 88 Pulsar NX FSM, and the S13 FSM thats floating around the web, and I have inspected all of the pictures of the AWD motor that can be found on Google very, very closely, but this bracket isn't visible in any of them! I think that it attaches to the main water pipe but can't figure out how. I can't find any bolt holes that line up with the bolts on this bracket. Maybe something else I forgot about installs underneath it and then this bolts to that.
If anybody knows, I would greatly appreciate the help, please!
Also, if any of you FWD guys have the U12 motor and have any detailed pictures esp of the intake manifold area, I would love you forever!!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I've never seen a bracket like that. Admittedly I don't know FWD cars all that well, but still. I suspect that's an AWD only part. Which means you probably need it's FWD equivalent. Do you have all of the motor and accessory brackets mounted?

float_6969

It bolts to the back of the head. It's the mount for the ignition amplifier and top mount intercooler.

conley

Woo hoo!
Thanks again, Float, for coming through for me!! You kick arse.
For now I plan on using GM coil packs and certainly not the top mount cooler, so I probably don't even need this anymore, or at least not all of it.
I haven't started switching over mounts and brackets from the DE yet, I am wary of putting things on in the wrong order... I already just discovered I have to remove the timing belt and pulley to install the dipstick tube...

Edit: also, where'd ya find that pic? Got anymore like it from other angles, haha?

float_6969

Happy to help, though the CA group on FB knew about it, not me.

Which GM coil packs are you planning on using? I think most of them still require the ignitor, which means you'll still need that bracket so you have a place to install it.

Look at the dipstick tube again, it's been a while, but I could swear if you started installing it turned the wrong way and then twisted it after it was about halfway in, you didn't need to pull the belt and cam gear. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

conley

Ah, well tell them thanks haha. I don't have a FB, hate that you can't view most stuff without an account.

Actually, I realize now that the coils may not be GM units, perhaps they are Ford EDIS, but they are the coils that come with the SDS EM5F kit. However, lately I have been checking out Haltech as their equipment and interface seems more modern, but I want to compare the systems thoroughly before I decide.

As for the dipstick tube, I tried to put it in as is, but the little collar and arm on the dipstick tube that slides down against the oil pump were just wide enough that when you try to slide it in, it's misaligned to an angle bad enough that the tube might bend if I use any force, it seems pretty flimsy

float_6969

Don't get it. I keep telling myself I'm going to delete my FB, but it I'm too addicted. I waste so much of my life on damn thing, it's just sad.

The SDS uses GM wasted spark coils. While I'm a big fan of SDS, and I'm running the latest EM5 hardware, if I was going to start from scratch today and buy a new EMS, I would likely get a Haltech or AEM. I'm really starting to get to the point where the features that the SDS lacks are becoming a bit of a nuisance. That being said, I've created solutions and they work, but having a more capable EMS would be nice. But I already have the SDS and it works, so I'm not likely to change soon.

Yea, you're probably right about the dipstick tube. I will say it's not flimsy though, but better safe than sorry. If you bend it, finding a replacement will be difficult.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Never get on FB anymore. I find my life is better because of it (THANKS relatives who post the most insane right-wing bullsh*t imaginable).

I just wanted to chime in and say I threw all of those extremely heavy boat anchor brackets away when I worked on my car at one point and it was a great decision. Much like deleting facebook you will find that your life and therefore car wrenching experience will be much better after you unburden yourself of it.

GM coils are awesome.

For what its worth, Haltech is cheap(ish) and they have a CA18 base map you can start tuning from, so it wouldn't be very difficult to swap in. I am strongly considering purchasing a Haltech Elite 750 for my s-chassis this spring. For the price its hard to beat.

conley

Yeah thats what I hear mostly about FB, bad stuff. Fake news and people that post stuff that shouldn't be posted.

Thanks for the advice! I had noticed that Mighty Car Mods uses Haltech often, so I checked out some Haltech videos and downloaded their software, and it wasn't even that intimidating! And, it just seemed so much more modern than what I've seen from SDS and from reading their installation manuals. The price was easily comparable, maybe even a little cheaper. Also, the CA and weird little Nissans in general are popular in 'Straya, so I suspected they may have experience with the CA, great to have that confirmed, thanks r34!! As for the bracket, I'm not sure if I'll be using the igniter, but I know I'm not using the tmic so I'll probably end up shelving it.
That Elite 750 was the one that caught my eye. Gonna have to study up!!

I will just bite the bullet and remove the belt to install that dipstick tube. I have terrible luck when it comes to not ruining things out of impatience so I better not risk it.

leadpaw
Car: 1985 sentra ca18de

twas I who posted the bracket picture on the FB group xD. I should get on here more often haha

float_6969

That whole FB group should get on here more often, LOL!!!

dash
Car: s13 ca18

good work detective... on the bracket.

seem like FB has killed all forums everywhere. Lotsa folks claim they're unpluggin, so maybe the novelty has wore off
Forums might just bounce back. Too bad some good forums already gone under tho

float_6969

Yea, activity in here as plummeted since that CA FB group came along. I don't even look at the FB page very much any more. I got tired of seeing the same questions over and over again. I was linking back to NICO for a while, but because of the way those pages work, my links would just get buried and the same question would come up a week later. I'm hoping people will realize that for automotive related questions and issues, a forum is a WAY better way to do things.

conley

No wonder! I hate going on a forum and seeing a last post near the top thats from over a year ago... so sad. Nissanexa.com is basically extinct! I had no idea FB had taken over the car forum scene to this extent. Bring back the forums!!!
I bet FB took over because its more accessable for the casual/oblivious car guy, the one you always see at car meets that makes you kinda dislike other car guys. I swear, 7/10 of them will make you dumber just by listening to them. The Pavilions every week in Phoenix is full of em haha.
Good thing for the few humble individuals you meet that just want to share in the excitement of a great car!

float_6969

Yea, the generic question they generally ask made me think the same thing. There's a lot of build posts on there too and people looking for parts, but once again, nothing that wasn't being done on the forums. Plus you can actually search the forums and find things from the past. Finding old stuff on FB is basically impossible.

Izento
Car: RPS13

float_6969 wrote:Yea, the generic question they generally ask made me think the same thing. Finding old stuff on FB is basically impossible.
The exact problem with Facebook car forums.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”