My z32 nightmare!!! (LOOONG POST)

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Absolomb

Hi all, this is gonna be a long post, had some discussions prior with some established members here but just wanted to give a run-down on my situation.
I bought 1993 300zx TT a couple years ago now for $7500, It had a fresh paint job, but the fender needed replaced from a deer collision which had also dented the door, not a big deal to me.
I had already passed up on two, what I know now to have been really great examples for 15k-16k, so $7500 was very alluring to me. I figured hey, rebuilt title and some dents, not a big deal to me and that justifies being half the price of the others. Now, I'm not a "car guy" at this time and I was looking for my first fun project car. The guy had pulled the engine out recently and put new turbos on, told me he also replaced the clutch and all the gaskets. I didn't want something totally beat to s*** but I am a DIY type of person. I didn't even know how to drive manual at the time so I had the seller take me around and I went back at a later date with my father and we both drove it. I bought the car a few days later. After learning to drive the stick I started to notice some things, the car had a vibration that resonated through the car when in the 1000-2500 rpm range, but I could accelerate out of it. I also would start to stall when pressing in the clutch and braking to a stop. Engine would nearly die before bouncing back up. So I dug in and started researching fixes and other issues similar to mine. At this time I also realized I couldnt drive with the t-tops off because the cabin would get fumed with the smell of fuel and acceleration would give a burnt oil smell when letting out of boost. I decided this was too much and found out LUCKILY there was a shop right down the street specializing in performance Nissan. I was delighted to see other z32's, 350z's 370'z and even a GTR there. I told them my issues and told them also, hey, look over the ENTIRE car.

Here's what they told me,
Misfire cylinder 1 causing gas smell, need new style injectors.
Suspension components worn out, upper control arms, tension rods, subframe bushings (cause of vibration)
They did a stainless steel clutch line per my request and said my clutch booster was bad, and we just disconnected it for the easiest fix.
I opted to do the injectors myself and the suspension components myself to save nearly $2k in labor

To my surprise, the shop didn't have compression numbers to give me, because well, they simply didn't compression test the engine. I'm thinking to myself You want me to pay you $5k to do all this work on an engine that we technically don't know the condition of? I verbally requested compression numbers multiple times from the beginning.

I took the car home practically no better than it was going in and bought a compression tester.
Tested it, numbers could have been higher but I did it on a cold test, I was happy. 120-130 cold seemed ok to me
I bought nearly $3k in parts and went to work. Mid-way through I realized that I didn't pull the fuel during my test and realized i could have gotten false readings.
I re-did the test and all the cylinders read the same as before except to my dismay cylinder 5 and 6, 60 and 0 compression respectively.
A little bit of fuel practically hid two dead cylinders?
A leak down showed nearly all cylinders had excessive leakage but those two had major leakage heard through the oil filler cap and dipstick.

If you made it this far congratulations and thanks.
If I sell the car right now, with all of the brand new parts I bought, spare fender and doors I think I will be lucky to get the $5k I still owe on the loan and if I do I will be out the 2.5k I've paid already and the $3k in parts and the $1300 I spent at the shop.

If I don't I will need to pull the engine out myself and send it to a shop for what I think will need to be new pistons and rings. I'm unsure of how much I will be spending to get the engine right and looming over all this is the amount of money I'm spending on a car with a rebuilt title that needs body and paint work. I love the car and still want a working and in order z32 but the car gods have kicked me down and spat in my face. I feel like several thousand more and still have the car is better than being out like $6k with no car.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”