my z might be going i need help!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
jletteri20
Car: pearl white 2004 350z

so i got my 04 350z last about 6 months ago with about 125000 miles on it give or take some miles. it now how about 136000. but im starting to hear some unsettling rattling coming from the engine when in neutral. when i lightly press on the clutch you can feel the rattle and it changes tone. (side note: when i got the car the clutch was and still is extremely hard to push down. i have driven plenty of other manual cars to know that it probably shouldnt be this tight. the dealer i got it from said they put in a new clutch but recenlty i have had slips and while in gear and random times that make me question that.) also there is a clanking when start moving but it goes away pretty quick maybe its just clutch work idk. im thinking my clutch might be going out but honestly i have no idea this is my first manual car that i own. none of these issues were present when i first got the car i know that much. anyway, this is first car i have had that actually really like and i just put 1250 bucks into custom subs so im really not ready to get rid of her. i am getting ready take the car to nissan next week. if anyone knows whats going on or has any ideas please help!

i have been considering doing an engine swap. im not sure what engine i want to put in there though or if i want to get help in building an engine or rebuilding my current one. if anyone has any ideas on how to prolong the life of my z please share. i would to be as cost effective as possible. im not working with a tone of cash.
much thanks.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

At 136k miles your engine should be fine and have another goal 100k miles to go. The clutch pedal on the z is a bit stiffer than say a miata but should not be very stiff. The fact that they just put a clutch in it would make me suspect that they didn't adjust the clevis on the clutch pedal properly and that it's dragging causing slipping. The fact that you are new to a manual most likely you'll get blamed for the wear, and could just as well be the cause. Although it's also common for the stock clutch to last 200k miles, the fact that it's been replaced at 125k suggests a bad driver or someone who rode it hard. You just spent 1200 on subs, don't cheap out on the parts that matter!

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”