my vq35de is knocking/ticking : (

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
xxxalpinexxx80
Car: m35

Okay so I was cleaning my throttle body with Seafoam deep creep, and when I tried to start her up, she wouldn't start, so I gave her a lil gas, then she did, and I heard a knocking/ticking noise. It is deff coming from the internals. Brought her to the infiniti dealership and they said it sounds like the intake/exhaust valves from the rear passenger side cylinder.

After driving to my garage, I found 2 of these metal objects? Do any of you guys know what that is or is for?

I found a video on what my m sounds like minus the g35's aftermarket exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPBZSZU_Cs

I have no engine light on now. Before I did, and had the camshaft sensor and assembly replaced but it still ticks!, and as the rpms increase the ticking gets faster. Happened right after I cleaned the throttle body too, and I used 1/3 of the can. Look like it's time to look for a used 3.5vq :/

Later on i'm going to take the valve covers off and just observe the valves and lifters, do you guys have any suggestions or tips?

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

I don't know what that piece is, but I do know one thing, rebuilding these engines are expensive and nightmarish. If you are going to purchase a used engine, make sure it is out of a running car that you see runnin because history shows that these engines are notorious for making these ticking noises. BTW, mine ticked/tapped and I got fed-up with it and decided to rebuild instead of buying a used engine because I didn't want the headache of dealing with a possible dud in a used engine. I also seafoamed the thing and I believed the seafoam either started the rod bearings to wear considerably or exposed an already failing problem. Luckily, I tore it apart when I did and was able to spare my crank from getting damaged. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”