My Versa won't start

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
alexander_5229

So about 7 months ago I purchased a 2008 Nissan Versa from a Nissan mechanic the car was brought to him with water damage because the previous owner power wash the engine bay he made various repairs on the car to get it working again then sold it to me from what I can tell the only part that he put in that was not brand new was the ipdm board which he got from a junkyard....yesterday on my ride home the car just died initially I thought it was just low on gas but when I filled the gas still wouldn't turn on check the battery the battery was good I even bought some starter fluid to spray in the throttle body to force it to start still nothing. The only repairs that where done to the car since I bought it was I changed all four spark plugs and all four ignition coils and the car was running great after that. PLEASE HELP I'M LOST

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi Alexander and welcome to NICO Club!

Okay, the car won't start. What does it do? When you put in the key and turn it once, do you hear your fuel pump start to make noise? Do your lights on the dash come on? Anything? Okay, when you turn the key further to start it, does it click once and nothing, is it quiet and nothing, or does it crank and turn the engine over, but it won't start running?

Did your car work after you put in the plugs and injectors?

Finally, do you have access to a code reader/ scanner tool? Part stores sometimes will scan the car for free, but you need to drive the car there usually and that may be a problem in this situation. Anyway, getting codes (borrow one from your co-workers or friends) could have useful information.

alexander_5229

Thanks for the reply and yes all lights on and yes cranks and engine does turn over... when i changed the plugs and injectors car ran perfect for 2 and a half weeks.... i do have a code reader and not getting anything thats the part that blows my mind

alexander_5229

i also changed the valve cover gasket as well when i changed the spark plugs and injectors

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Do you have a smart key/ security system on your car? Could be something triggered that and is keeping your car from starting. I think if you put in the key and turn it to 'on' you'd see a security indicator on the dash lit up. I found this tidbit, but haven't tested it myself...
dell41oo wrote:There is an issue with the ignition system and smart keys from other vehicles. Mine has done this now 3 times, all occurred when in a public parking lot. My guess is, someone parked next to you started their car. Their smart key somehow confused the computer in your car.
There is a procedure in the owner's manual (under Starting, I think) that tells you how to un-confuse the computer. . . .
1. Insert your key an turn it to ON for 5 seconds.
2. Turn the key off for 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
The Versa should start normally now.
Maybe the fuel isn't coming. You can check the fuel pump relay and it's fuse. I think you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on. If not, maybe put your head in the trunk, near the bottom middle, and have your friend turn the key while you listen.

Speaking of fuses, just check them all while you're in there!

Maybe your battery is weak. 12.2 and 14.4 volts is just a starting point, having amps will make the car work. You can try a jump start. That's the quickest way to tell. You could also measure the amperage draw when trying to run the starter, that's a similar test, but tougher for me to explain.

Sorry, I said injectors, but you did coils. I was thinking coils as I typed injector. I think I made you say injector! :) I guess you could pull out like one spark plug and look at it to see if it's all wet with fuel or dry as a bone. While it's out, you could test it for spark in a dark place and crank the engine real quick with it all wired up but not in the block. I'm not too versed in that trick, so maybe search a bit on it.

Please let me know how it goes with your tests. Thanks!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”