My versa cranks but won't start. Help please'

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Greyversa
Car: 07 Nissan versa

I drove my car the other day in the morning and then in the afternoon it wouldnt start. There were no signs of anything being wrong.
I hear the fuel pump turning on and exchanged my battery for a new one.
There was no spark in the spark plugs but the coil pack on top was getting power. Is this a computer or key problem? I was told that it was either the key or the ECM but when I put the key in the ignition all the electricals work. Could it be that the cars computer for some reason went into like antitheft mode or something.
When I put starter fluid it sounds more like it wants to turn on but doesn't.
Any help please...

silverarrow27

First of all, how did you test for spark?

Greyversa
Car: 07 Nissan versa

It was the key. Had to get it reprogrammed for $200. Stupid it stopped working out of nowhere. Wish the car had regular old fashioned keys.

dell41oo
Car: 2007 Versa

There is an issue with the ignition system and smart keys from other vehicles. Mine has done this now 3 times, all occurred when in a public parking lot. My guess is, someone parked next to you started their car. Their smart key somehow confused the computer in your car.
There is a procedure in the owner's manual (under Starting, I think) that tells you how to un-confuse the computer. . . .
1. Insert your key an turn it to ON for 5 seconds.
2. Turn the key off for 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
The Versa should start normally now.

richnap2716
Car: 2007 Nisan Versa 36,000 miles

2007 Versa S 36,000 miles. Sometimes dosen't start. I found if I remove & replace the gas cap, it starts. Tried new gas cap. No dice HELP :eek:

versatile8
Car: Nissan Versa S 2007

Hi I also have a 2007 Versa S that often will not start unless I open and close the gas cap first. I tried a new gas cap and that did not solve the problem. Then I had the fuel pump replaced and still nothing has changed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi Versatile8, welcome to NICO Club! Can you get a scanner onto your car to see if the computer has any codes? Has your car stopped running completely now? I mean, no starts in the last couple of days.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Centralcoaster, does Nissan log 'pending' codes in the ECM like Fords do? In other words codes of things the ECM has found error in but has not decided yet to make them a hard fault to turn on the light? And can those codes be read with most OBD readers?

centralcoaster33

Yes, that is correct. Pending codes show, even on Nissan's as far back as 1995. As long as the battery cable hasn't been pulled to reset the ECU, they'd be there. Lot's of parts stores will loan you a scanner or scan it for you onsite. They do that at my Autozone here in CA.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Really. I was under the impression that nobody in California could run codes for the average guy for free, it supposedly being illegal. Was it EVER? O'Reilly's here in Texas used to put that out when I worked for them.

Thanks for the 'pending' statement, recently moved to Nissan from Ford who has let me down now for YEARS, I'm sick of it. Trying to learn all the software strategy there I can.

centralcoaster33

Well, we have pretty ridiculous laws here. I supposed it could be illegal. It happens all the time, but that doesn't make it legal. I don't really know. I do like getting free tool rentals when needed (though I do have my own scanner). :)

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”