My upper intake manifold is stuck, how to pry off?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Oniryuk
Car: 1990 z32

So I'm trying to do a head gasket on my 240sx. I have removed all 5 bolts plus the 2 for the fuel rail on top, but my intake won't come loose? It has lots of rtv sealant for the gasket. How would I go about prying off my upper intake, that's all I need in order to do my head gasket, any suggestions?

Thanks, heres pics of it

Ken@PTUNING
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx KA-T

I don't understand. Why are you trying to separate the intake manifold halves? It would be much easier to simply unbolt the complete intake manifold from the head and remove it all together. There is a brace that supports the plenum and bolts to the block. Then there are 10 bolts that secure the runners to the head.

Oniryuk

Just trying to pull the head with the upper manifold, so I don't have to unbolt the lower manifold and replace my head gasket on the head. So did you mean to unbolt the bottom half also? Or unbolt the top manifold from the head?

Oniryuk

Also is there pics of all the bolts or something to make it easier for me to locate these bolts; but how do you take off the throttle cable?

Ken@PTUNING

Take a screwdriver or chisel and tap with a hammer where the flanges mate. Once it starts to separate, you should be able to pry them apart.

I personally just remove the manifold completely from the head instead as one piece. It makes maneuvering the head over head studs easier. That and some machine shops will not resurface the head with the intake manifold still attached.

Ken@PTUNING

Oniryuk

How about taking off the throttle cable from the throttle?, would i really need to take that off just to pull out those, or just leave it in?

Oniryuk

I'll try the screwdriver with hammer tapping tomorrow and see if i can seperate the gasket from the intake.

Oniryuk

Ken@PTUNING wrote:Take a screwdriver or chisel and tap with a hammer where the flanges mate. Once it starts to separate, you should be able to pry them apart.

I personally just remove the manifold completely from the head instead as one piece. It makes maneuvering the head over head studs easier. That and some machine shops will not resurface the head with the intake manifold still attached.
Hey I tried your screwdriver method in tapping the manifold out and it's really sealed on there. Is it possible to unbolt the top manifold from the head and leave the manifold in, and then extract the head?

Ken@PTUNING

I wouldn't. Of the 10 fasteners that secure the manifold to the head, 8 are bolts and 2 are studs. Besides, at that point you've practically removed the manifold completely.

Oniryuk

Ken@PTUNING wrote:I wouldn't. Of the 10 fasteners that secure the manifold to the head, 8 are bolts and 2 are studs. Besides, at that point you've practically removed the manifold completely.
So I should remove the bottom of the manifold and take the head out with the entire manifold attached? And i still don't know how to dis-attach the throttle cable. Pics of the bolts would be help.

Ken@PTUNING

The throttle is held on by two jam nuts. Loosen them and slide it out of the way. Then there is a T bolt at the end of the cable. Rotate the throttle, lift/rotate the cable away from the pulley and you should see a grove that you can slide the T sideways out.

Remove the entire manifold from the head.

Oniryuk

Ken@PTUNING wrote:The throttle is held on by two jam nuts. Loosen them and slide it out of the way. Then there is a T bolt at the end of the cable. Rotate the throttle, lift/rotate the cable away from the pulley and you should see a grove that you can slide the T sideways out.

Remove the entire manifold from the head.
Alright so I just had some free time and I've released the throttle cable. So I do remove the manifold from the head, like the top bolts and stuff? And how many bottom bolts are there? Also can I just leave the fuel rail on the manifold?

Ken@PTUNING

5 on top, 5 underneath.

The fuel rail can stay on.

Oniryuk

Alright, are there any bolts or anything to take out the bottom intake manifold with it or is it just those 10 bolts?

Ken@PTUNING

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”