My TT build

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
grayman_TT
Car: 1990 Fairlady TT

Hello everyone,

I'm Rob from Manitoba Canada and I own a JDM 1990 TT 2+0 that was purchased back in summer 2014. I have not been very active on this forum over the years, but would like to provide some progress and pictures on the current build.

Up until last fall, I had enjoyed the Zed will doing some maintenance and exterior updates as I saw fit. I was also slowly purchasing parts for an eventual motor pull. I decided to do that last fall (2021) as the OEM turbos were leaking oil.

Motor was pulled and sent to a local machine shop early winter and I should be getting it back soon. I have been slowly working on it since the spring when time permits. Currently have fitted the intercoolers, reconditioned the headlights/brackets, fitted the oil cooler, cleaned the power steering leak, fixed the front fender pinch welds, painting brackets, and am now re-wrapping the body harness with Tesa 51036 tape.

Here is the mod list for the car:

Rebuilt motor
-stock cams, aftermarket lifters, Z1 springs, titanium retainers, new stock valves, Z1 valve guides, viton seals
-stock crank, Eagle rods, JE pistons, NA oil squirters
-ARP head and main studs
-MLS headgaskets
-BDE motor mounts/alternator mount
-new timing kit with Gates belt

Intake/turbo/exhaust
-JWT Sport 530BB, Ash Spec exhaust manifolds, Specialty Z 3" downpipes, 3" test pipes, 3" B&B quad oval tip exhaust
-Specialty Z intercoolers with 2.5" piping, SZ 2.5" inlet piping with Selin translator

Misc
-Nismo oil cooler
-Wiring Specialties engine/trans harness
-rebuilt brake booster, new OEM brake master cylinder, OEM clutch/slave cylinder (secondary bleeder delete)
-'98 Jspec trans, JWT HD clutch and flywheel, 350z clutch fork upgrade/pivot ball, BDE trans mount
-NA power steering pump conversion, HICAS delete
-replace all coolant/vacuum hoses with silicone
-replacing bolts to stainless fasteners in the engine bay
-lots of cleaning

Thanks for reading. I will update as I can to keep everyone updated.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Looking forward to see the progress, interested in how the ASH exhaust manifolds fit.

zxFarside
Car: 94 300zx TT (sold)
03 Suburban 5.3
00 BMW 323

Sound like a good solid setup.

When did you get the maf translator? Those have been gone for a while now…

grayman_TT

I bought the maf translator a few years back through Specialty Z, along with their intercooler/piping kit.

HollywoodJackson
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35
1990 Nissan 240SX Hatchback
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

How are you liking the JE Pistons? I just purchased a 240sx with a disassembled SR20DET. It came with a set of brand new JE Pistons that the seller purchased 12 years ago.

grayman_TT

I have no driving experience with the JE pistons, motor has not been put back in the car. I was able to see them in person when I stopped at the machine shop. They are lightweight with the friction coating on the skirts and forged. More then adequate for my goals.

The summer was busy for me so I was not able to get much done on the car. I have been spending more time the past couple of weeks working on it. I was able to finish the body harness and re-install it into the car. The driver side fuse box was a PITA compared to the passenger side. I went through 4 rolls of tape, so close to 100ft total. Overall the wires and loom were in good shape, found a few areas that needed attention.

Pulled the brake booster and master cylinder. I have a rebuilt booster and new OEM master to go in, just have to do some paint correction in that area. The old master cylinder had leaked and took some of the paint off.

I also found some surface rust on both the driver and passenger cowl area. Either the seam sealer was not applied well, or most likely it wore out over 30 years. Removed the old seam sealer, wire wheeled, rust converter, etch primer and new seam sealer.

Thats all for now.

-Rob

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”