My S2000, a 350z, and M3 - photo shoot!

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Jason B

I have a '02 S2000, and a friend of mine just got his orange (LeMans sunset orange) 350Z today! He did let me drive it and it's a really sweet car.

Now, I have to say it isn't as fun to drive as the S2k to ME. It felt much heavier and the shifter was really heavy and hard to move. Remember, it also only had 100 miles on it so this may be part of it.

The S2k just feels much more tossable, lighter and throwable into corners. It just fits you more like a glove -- feeling as if you are PART OF THE CAR. Now, don't get me wrong, I really liked the Z, but the amount of excitement I get with the S, isn't there with the Z.

If I never had or drove an s2000, then I would have this car. I did LOVE that exhaust tone.

A few of us got together today and took some pictures. Below you will see a 2002 Sebring Silver S2000 with red Interior, the 350 mentioned above and a '99 Black BMW M3 coupe.

Enjoy:

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I've actually had the opportunity to drive all 3. 2 of them on the track (my Z and an M3). I found all 3 great cars, I found the S2000 nice too: the driving position, pedal positions and tranny felt awesome. BUT I felt there a few items I didn't like about the S. 1. She didn't have the grunting torque at the low end that the Z and M have. I felt the S had to be flogged to go fast. That's okay for the track but not necessarily for the street 2. I didn't like the gauge cluster, personal opinion 3. The ride seemed more harsh than the other two, making it not as attractive to me on a long ride. 4. I wasn't interested in a convertible.

The M3 was simply sweet. Drove, behaved/performed flawlessly. As comfortable on the track or street. Better qualtiy materials and more practical. Whatt stopped me from buying one was the price, cost of ownership and the stigma of being a yuppie Bimmer owner.

I found the Z to be almost an ideal package. Performanceclose to the other two, reasaonably priced, well equipped, better ride, very very fun to drive, more reliable andless expensive to own than a BMW. Z's do understeer, but very predictably. It's a bargain. The lack of luggage room is a gripe of mine, and the interior materials could be a little nicer, but I'm not using it as a family vehicle. I also felt the notchy feel to the shifter but quickly got used to it.

My feeling is any of the three is good choice. If money was no object, I'd probably buy an M3. Since money is an issue for me, the Z was the best value for the money. That's why I bought one.

Good luck

Jason B

I feel like I've grown wheels everytime I drive the S2000. You just feel "one" with the car and feel part of it. I've never really had this feeling in any other car like this one. You don't want to get out of it. Plus, you get the added benefit of it being a convertible (if you want one) with the rigidity greater than most coupes!

Someone once asked me, "Does the interior feel warm? I mean, warm, but not like temperature warm, but comforting warm?"

Has "warm" become the necessary guide for a critique of a car? First of all, is a car supposed to be warm? And if so, what kind of car? The S2000 is about drivability and value in its' class .

Let's talk about functionality. The look of the S is not about your living or smoking room, it is about driving. It has many utilities to help you do that -in fact, an incredible amount for the price it delivers.

But where the S really shines is its' engine and drivetrain. Cars costing much more pale in comparison. I have driven many excellent cars - mostly sports-oriented - and very few have the character and solid feel of the S. The M-class BMW, some of the AMG products from Benz, exotics, and a couple of other cars come to mind.

Driving the S is a blast - it handles so well and so predictably for novice and expert drivers alike. Yet it still has enough comfort to satisfy me.

Comparing the Z and S is a bit strange - they are only alike in price. Outside of that I see very little in terms of similarity in philosophy and appearance, and almost nothing in execution.

One is more of a luxury cruiser and the other a convertable designed for people who drive like "escaped mental patients." If you need storage for more than golf clubs or a pair of backpacks I'd get the 350Z. If you want to drive fast and have fun doing it, buy the S2000.

Praticality vs: Fun. That is the important question for you to ask yourself if you are considering either of these cars. Frankly I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or another: you either want an S2000 or you don't. They are completely different cars: its like comparing a Roll Royce to a Ferrari. Both are nice cars, but some people will buy one over the other for personal reasons.

Warm doesn't mean much to me in a sports car - I am not there to feel warm and fuzzy. I do want to be comfortable and the S gives comfort to you. Warm is better left to saunas, foot massagers, and loufa sponges. Give me handling and quicks, and give me value.

lessthanjakejohn

Those pics are so sweet! I love the S200 interior leather.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Well, that's quite a glowing endorsement for the Honda S2000. Silly me, I thought this was a Nissan BB. I agree with you that the S2000 is a wonderful car, but it's a very much a niche vehicle. Many people like me love driving uncompromising open sports cars too, but would notconsider owning them because they're not practical or particularly comfortable as daily drivers. I loved driving a Viper at LimeRock, which is even more uncompromising and faster than your S2000. But I decided not purchase a Viper because it's not comfortable or practical enough for daily use on the street.

An S2000 is not required for driving like "an escaped mental patient" My philosophy is that driving enjoyment is the driving itself. The vehicle really does not matter. I have had as much fun testing the limits of my old 240sx on street tires at the track as I have had in that modified Viper, or a Formula Dodge race car.. Each car behaves very differently which is part of the fun.

I'm not saying one is any better than the other as they're all different experiences and should all be appreciated.

"Enjoy the ride."

Jason B

Bubba1 wrote:I agree with you that the S2000 is a wonderful car, but it's a very much a niche vehicle. Many people like me love driving uncompromising open sports cars too, but would notconsider owning them because they're not practical or particularly comfortable as daily drivers. I loved driving a Viper at LimeRock, which is even more uncompromising and faster than your S2000. But I decided not purchase a Viper because it's not comfortable or practical enough for daily use on the street.

I completely agree with your assesment above.

One is a no frills sportscar, whereas the other is a mix of both.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

well guys amazing pics, nice camera skills i must say, and also, beautiful home, i just want to drive either one of those damn cars, i see all of your points, but if it were up to me, for price and such (having never driven one myself), id more than likely opt for the Z, and of course i am biased, but thats my opinion, anyway, did the M feel THAT much faster than the others?, and which do u think felt faster out of hte s2k and the Z, some people say the S2k feels slow because of hte lack of torque, but some say it feels incredibly fast due to amazing tossability, and most seem to say the Z is quick because of sheer power (however i would like her to shed a couple lbs), o, also, AMAZING COLOR on the 35o (wonder if i could get my altima painted that color??), and also, LOVE the front lip on the s2gizzle looks like SPOON lip??k , enough jabbering, nice rides

Jason B

nlzmo400r wrote:well guys amazing pics, nice camera skills i must say, and also, beautiful home, i just want to drive either one of those damn cars, i see all of your points, but if it were up to me, for price and such (having never driven one myself), id more than likely opt for the Z, and of course i am biased, but thats my opinion, anyway, did the M feel THAT much faster than the others?, and which do u think felt faster out of hte s2k and the Z, some people say the S2k feels slow because of hte lack of torque, but some say it feels incredibly fast due to amazing tossability, and most seem to say the Z is quick because of sheer power (however i would like her to shed a couple lbs), o, also, AMAZING COLOR on the 35o (wonder if i could get my altima painted that color??), and also, LOVE the front lip on the s2gizzle looks like SPOON lip??k , enough jabbering, nice rides

Thanks.

The M is FASTER than both. He's done some upgrades. Lightened flywheel, new exhaust with midpipe(this means he has no CAT anymore). That upgrade right there (new exhaust, 5 hp +15 hp for the midpipe and cat removal) gives 20 total rear wheel HP! My S and his M were just about evenly matched before he did the full exhaust upgrade. Now, he will pull on me a little no matter what.

To be honest, the S ~feels~ faster to me. Maybe it's due to the shearing sound of 9,000 rpm, or when you hit 6,500 and V-tec(like a tubo without the lag) kicks in. From what most say, the cars are very close in a straight line -- it's a drivers race. Once you drive a car that hits 9k rpm, you won't want anything else that's lower. So, if you want the Z, don't drive the S, you might get addicted.

A few more. Photography is a amateur hobby of mine.

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Awesome photo's! Give me the Z...or the M...or the S...LOL I love them all.I would pick the Z over the 3 if I had to pay for one.If the cash was not a issue then I'd most likely take the M.Not the the S2000 is not a great car.I'm not a convertable type person,they are great with the top down but I hate the noise when you have it up.Here in KY it seeme that we have more top up weather than top down.LOLGood pics of great cars! BTW:you guys should go to the track one day just to see who can drive.;)

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Agree, You'll also appreciate the cars more if you get them on a track. You can't approach their potential on the street. And nice pics.

AunVoh

nice cars, awesome lawn too! I'd go with the Z though, love the body. you have any plans on upgrades?

nlzmo400r

amazing photgraphy again, and as far as numbers from road and track (stock for stock) the course they drove the s2ooo and Z on the Z won, but not by much at all , and the Z was also a lil quicker in straight line, but slalom and such goes to hte S2ooo, they also threw in an e46 m3 for comparo too, it was SLOWER than teh Z around (willow springs i think it was ??)the track, but faster in the straights

Jason B

I don't know about that comparo. That E46 is fast as a bullet.

Here are a few S2000 0-60's:

5.2 seconds (Motor Trend, Feb ‘00)5.3 seconds (R&T, Sept ‘99 and R&T Buyer’s Guide Jan ‘01)5.5 seconds (R&T - Comparison in Road Test Annual 2001)5.6 seconds (Consumers Report website)5.75 seconds (AutoWeek)... comparison: Porsche Boxster S was 5.74 seconds.

Jason B

Car & Driver and Road & Track both have brand new issues comparing the 350z/s2000, and others in their latest issues. Very good reading.

350Z Roadster vs. Honda S2000 - scanned issue http://www.s2kca.com/forums/sh...=1059

350Z vs. Boxster vs. S2000 vs. TT vs. Z4 - scanned issue http://www.s2kca.com/forums/sh...=1058

nlzmo400r

hey jason, thanksf or the articles bro, they are good, have many neat points that i kinda looked over

solid

someone here is ****ing rich

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Hey Jason, check out this month's Automobile. They did a comparison of the S2000/Boxster/Z4/350z roadster. Interesting article.

nlzmo400r

solid wrote:someone here is ****ing rich
:werd:

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

solid wrote:someone here is ****ing rich

nlzmo400r wrote::werd:

Who is..Those cars are owned by diff. people.Some people are well off because they work hard and know how to work the system.I know several of people you think I'm rich because I have two 2k2 cars,when they have older paid off cars.I choose to have new cars and a payment or two.Its all in how you use what you have.Lets not Hate on people that have nice stuff!;)

nlzmo400r

haha, i knew the cars were owned by different people i was more or less talking about the home in the background as well, and im not hating, im appreciating, haha, well that and a lil bit of jealously, hopefully ill be in that position one day

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

It was a nice house. I finally read the C&D article. Nice article, I noticed they tested the cars at Beaverun. I was just there this past weekend. Great place.

nlzmo400r

u didnt happen to do any of your own testing there did u ?, why exactly where u there, or is it something other than a racetrack

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Sure, I tested my car. I was there with the Audi Club. I instruct for their performance driving schools 4-5 times per year. I always catch rides in interesting cars every time I go to these things. This time I was in a modified twin turbo 911, a modified last gen RX7, and a chipped S-4 with race tires. If you'd like to see pics from the event, there was a pro photographer there and he posted free pics on his website. http://www. fred-voit.com. then push "purchase on-line" (it's free and anonymous) Then Hit the audi beaverrun link AB group. There are a lotta pics of my little red Nissan on pages 4 and 6, plus some of the other cars. Great events, great people. I recommend them.

regards.

nlzmo400r

hey thanks alot, o, and that mustve been awesom riding in a 911 turbo, its the perfect supercar, practical, and so damn fast, so was it as balls to the wall as i imagine, assuming of course yall played with it a bit?

gibbo80

i would take the m3 then the s2k then teh 350 in that order. Bimmer is in its own class on a pillar above. The s2k and 350 are to different to. The s2ks handling ablilitys are unmatched for price tho

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nlzmo400r wrote:hey thanks alot, o, and that mustve been awesom riding in a 911 turbo, its the perfect supercar, practical, and so damn fast, so was it as balls to the wall as i imagine, assuming of course yall played with it a bit?

Yeah, that 911TT was almost TOO good. Tremendous grip, torque and brakes. It was obscene how deep he could go before hitting the brakes before a turn. He pushed it pretty hard, ended up cooking his tires (he had a spare set as he trailered the car in).But as amazing as that 911 was, there was a guy in a modded RX-7 that was turning even quicker laps. Of course the RX-7 owner was a test driver for Bridgestone and this was his home track.

I'm surprised how few NICO and Nissan enthusiasts go to these events. I think it's the most fun you can have with your pants on, and it's very inexpensive.

Regards

nlzmo400r

why didnt u run the 35o while u were there? and also, yes, hometrack advantage plays a big part, im assuming the rx-7 had major power to keep up with a MODDED 911, also, how inexpensive was this? my local track is holding hot lapping sessions for $2o on aug.7 and i hope to get off work, head out there and try it out, but i dont know if there is an age limit of some kind, or a helmet or harness requirement

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I did run my Z. 3 days and 2 tanks of gas on the track. It ran great. The RX7 was modded and on race slicks. A typical 2 day Audi "school" runs $200-$350 depending on the track, and that includes a banquet + event t-shirt. There's no harness requirements other than your stock seat belts. You can rent a helmet for $40 if you don't have a Snell 95 or better. As far as requirements: a drivers license, a car in decent shape (doesn't need to be German, and you have to join the club ($40 annual dues). But once in the club you can attend any track event anywhere in the US and Canada. You learn about what your car can really do, you learn some skills and the track and it's fun. At $20 per lap, an open lap day is $400 for just 20 laps. If it's a smaller track like LimeRock or Beaverun, $400 is less than 30 minutes track time. Not much of a bargain.I didn't mean to hijack the thread but to tie it in, there are always M3's, porsche's, S2K's, S4's, and TT's (which was the discussion of this thread). There are also Subi's, Honda's, Nissan's (SE-R's to Z's to 240sx's). I see/drive/ride these cars all the time, that's why I commented. Regards.

nlzmo400r

i didnt know there was that much involved, 2o a lap isnt cheap at all, kinad shying away from it now, i know at a local strip right around here its $1o race all night, of course this is the 1/4, but the $2o hot lapping session, i didnt know it was 2o PER LAP, and 4o to rent a helmet, plus gas, damn

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

damn rich boys. nice cars though, and nice creativeness with the pics.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”