My S13 SR20DET Prep

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

You're welcome!

86slider
Car: ae86

Very nice build. I'm in the process of doing the same thing and just pulled off my intake and exhaust manifolds, will definately be using those part numbers your provided. You had me confused on page 5 when you kept calling the oil feed line the water line. Props to you.

addisonblck
Car: 93 se mods soon to come
Sc300 1jz swap laundry list of goodies

best thread ever lol

this will be very helpful come February when uncle sam forks up some dough for me

Ramonesfreak2010
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch

So after reading this thread 4 times, I didn't read anywhere stating how you prepped your engine bay besides what you took off. So if you would be kind enough to share what you did, that would be great. lol

positron1

I just removed some of the brackets and stuff that I could remove then covered the other important stuff with plastic grocery bags and tape. Then I went in with the engine degreaser, sprayed it down a few times to loosen up any grime. I washed it out and then went in with some brushes and a bucket of hot water and a bottle of Mean Green. I made the mistake of painting it flat black which didn't turn out like I thought it would especially after seeing the engine in there after we dropped it in so the morning after and before I started hooking things up I taped the engine up in trash bags and went back in and painted the bay in low-gloss black which turned out much much better!

Ramonesfreak2010
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch

Modified by Ramonesfreak2010 at 1:49 PM 9/24/2009

positron1

Kalypso

you should turn all the pics, and images you took in this thread, into a blog... then place google ads on the blog and attract web traffic.

zacreth

positron_ wrote:Motor Mounts-NISMO X-EbayNismo Engine Mounts X-West Covina

Modified by positron_ at 3:13 AM 12/22/2008
Sorry to sound like a newbie, but are engine and motor mounts different???

Kalypso

no they're the same. there are two motor mounts driver and passenger side.

the transmission mount is however different

zacreth

cool. Thanks, I just kinda lost when I read posi's list of parts...hehe.

I totaled everything out and and even with things missing, it seems to be about $7k

Kalypso

the first swap is always costly. but after that you get smarter, doesnt have to be that expensive.

and of course... if you can weld,

you can do it for half as much... maybe even less.

garagelu
Car: 1995 240sx w/ sr

Kalypso wrote:no they're the same. there are two motor mounts driver and passenger side.

the transmission mount is however different
Actually they are not the same. Thats why they labeled them left and right on the actual mount. If you accidently switch them(if you messed up on nismos, you are an idiot since they are labeled), your engine will sit about 1 inch too far back and that means your transmission mount won't line up.

Kalypso

zacreth wrote:but are engine and motor mounts different???
he asked if the terms engine mount and motor mount reffered to the same part.
garagelu wrote: Thats why they labeled them left and right on the actual mount.
you can't switch them if you tried, they have notches that correspond to their correct side.
garagelu wrote: your engine will sit about 1 inch too far back and that means your transmission mount won't line up.
the mounting bracktets are oppositte to each other, on either side of the block, switching mounts ( like solid urethane mounts that are unbiased to which side ) wouldnt move the engine back at all!

what are you saying?

you're work is done, go home

garagelu
Car: 1995 240sx w/ sr

Kalypso wrote:
you can't switch them if you tried, they have notches that correspond to their correct side.

the mounting bracktets are oppositte to each other, on either side of the block, switching mounts ( like solid urethane mounts that are unbiased to which side ) wouldnt move the engine back at all!

what are you saying?

you're work is done, go home
Look at your picture above. The notches face the same way so why couldn't you swap them?

And if you look at the mount, the top stud and bottom stud are offset. Offset front to rear and not side to side. So if you do swap them, your engine will sit too far back.

and sorry I overlooked the questions on motor and engine mounts. What a stupid questions. Technically a motor and engine are different but in the car world people call engines motors and vice versa.

Adams
Car: SR20DET S14a

I'm deeply shocked by how much work you've put into this project Simply awsome!

I have one question though - I'm in the midst of changing a few bits in my sr20det tranny and found your topic very helpful. There is one thing that I'm unsure of though:

in this photo the shim seems to be placed in the smaller circle (over the black, smaller seal)

But in the below photo you say it should be placed over the brown seal:

When I took the cover off my tranny I saw the shim placed on the smaller/black seal but since than I've heard a lot of inconsistent info and I'm not that sure anymore

I'd be very grateful if someone could shed a bit of light on this

TroubleBound
Car: 1992 240SX Hatch

Well since someone bumped it i'll say that this thread is f***ing awesome. I was looking all over for a thread like this but i was lost in 240 gen im glad i found my way over. This is where the members that actually know things reside haha Very nice in depth write up i love all the pictures, its been very helpful so far and im only halfway done prepping my sr so im sure it will come in handy some more. Positron=Write-Up master. I mean detailed descriptions, pictures, torque specs, part numbers. What more do you need? A 2nd grader could prep an SR with this thread. I wish mine was going to come out like yours, that is one lucky SR20 =) Preciate

Adams
Car: SR20DET S14a

Btw finally managed to find an answer to my above question in the FSM. The shim goes on the countershaft:

positron1

Adams wrote:I'm deeply shocked by how much work you've put into this project Simply awsome!

I have one question though - I'm in the midst of changing a few bits in my sr20det tranny and found your topic very helpful. There is one thing that I'm unsure of though:

in this photo the shim seems to be placed in the smaller circle (over the black, smaller seal)

But in the below photo you say it should be placed over the brown seal:

When I took the cover off my tranny I saw the shim placed on the smaller/black seal but since than I've heard a lot of inconsistent info and I'm not that sure anymore

I'd be very grateful if someone could shed a bit of light on this
Glad you found the answer because I couldn't remember right off.
TroubleBound wrote:Well since someone bumped it i'll say that this thread is f***ing awesome. I was looking all over for a thread like this but i was lost in 240 gen im glad i found my way over. This is where the members that actually know things reside haha Very nice in depth write up i love all the pictures, its been very helpful so far and im only halfway done prepping my sr so im sure it will come in handy some more. Positron=Write-Up master. I mean detailed descriptions, pictures, torque specs, part numbers. What more do you need? A 2nd grader could prep an SR with this thread. I wish mine was going to come out like yours, that is one lucky SR20 =) Preciate
Thanks for the input fellows!

TroubleBound

Hey man sorry to bug you but umm i couldn't find the answer in your thread i guess its too common sense lol it got hooked up during your install? Ill copy my post from the 'im new here and i have a question thread' where i posted it and no one answered.

Im in the process of doing my sr swap but this is a super noob question so i didnt want to make a thread for it and i tried searcjing but i don't know what any of this crap is even called. So i took off the exhaust manifold cause i got a new one to go onto it. No biggie, but i had to take two things off of the top of the engine that now have no room to be reinstalled and im wondering what they are and if i need them/how+where to relocate them.Is this my Air intake valve? If so, does that mean i don't need it? Cause i bought a AIV plug from enjuku cause the swap guide i have said i needed one )=.And i have no clue what this one is, something relating to the oil cause its the black box that has a hose coming right off of the valve cover. It doesn't look like it should be deleted either way. Where does it go now do i need more parts/brackets?And as you can see in this last pic, the most recent, my new manifold doesn't leave room for number one or number two to be reinstalled, just wondering what everyone did cause im dumb. Thanks..

Asia989
Car: 90 s13.4

1st one is emissions you can throw it in the trash, 2nd is the factory oil catch can, you can go after market or run a hose in its place

TroubleBound

Asia989 wrote:1st one is emissions you can throw it in the trash, 2nd is the factory oil catch can, you can go after market or run a hose in its place
Awesome i really appreciate the advice Asia, thank you!

positron1

Asia989 wrote:1st one is emissions you can throw it in the trash, 2nd is the factory oil catch can, you can go after market or run a hose in its place
Agreed and I bought a AIV plug too and didn't need it just like you.

ProjectGarage
Car: Hehehe.

Looks great man! Where did you get your valve cover nuts?

positron1

ProjectGarage wrote:Looks great man! Where did you get your valve cover nuts?
Thanks man! I got the valvecover nuts from Bonehead Performance...a great bunch of people there.

ProjectGarage

That is what i figured, They are really cheap there opposed to other places! You would recommend them? There was no issues with them bottoming out before being tight on the stud? Did you also replace the rubber/metal washers under the nuts?

positron1

No issues and I replaced the rubber ones too.

ProjectGarage

Where did you get the rubber ones? Everywhere i see them they are like $5 a piece!!!

positron1

I got the rubber ones from West Covina Nissan.

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

Hey, What are the torque specs on the s13 sr valve cover nuts?? i see mixed numbers everywhere!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”