My RB20 W/ RB26 ITB's thread

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
sci2000tech
Car: s13.5 RB20DET 'Vert

So since there is a lot of discussion about ITB's going on lately, I figured I would make a thread documenting my project.

Rather than making an adapter plate to mount the ITB's directly to the head, I decided to cut my factory intake so I could use the stock fuel rail and have longer runners.

I started by ordering a stock RB26 pletnum, planning to go with a single TB. After doing some research on ITB's, I picked up a set of RB26 ITB's and matching metal gaskets from Ricky @ Rawbrokerage.com.

First step was to get 1/2" flanges cut to match the gaskets. I'll get picks of the flanges up as soon as I can.

Then we mocked everything up in the car to find out where to cut the factory lower runners.

The water neck on the manifold had to be cut to clear the flange. We are also going to have to cut the thermostat housing as it sits too high, and will hit the flange. Probably going with AN fittings for the water necks and radiator.

So this is where we are now....

I am just waiting on the ARP studs(M8X1.25 - 3") so we can bolt the flanges/ITB's/Pletnum together and tack weld it to the RB20 runners to do a final fitment check before we weld it all up.

Worst case scenario, if the ITB's don't work out, I can just get shorter studs and weld a single TB to the front.

Here are the flanges welded on, and ported to match the manifold:

The porting we had to do to make everything match up:

Arp studs installed (M8 x 1.25 - 2.9" long)

With ITB's on..

Everything bolted together.

Here's a close up of the throttle linkage.

Factory RB20 TPS bolts right up to the RB26 pully.

Everything welded in place.

After powder coating.

OEM water neck.

After some modification.

And how it sits now.

And thats how she sits today, just waiting for a tune.

Modified by sci2000tech at 2:10 AM 1/31/2010
Modified by sci2000tech at 2:14 AM 1/31/2010

neonbomb

Very nice

Keep us updated

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

very nice...i like where you're going with this, please keep us updated.too bad you dont have a stock setup to do a before and after with the setup.

sci2000tech

Carl H wrote:very nice...i like where you're going with this, please keep us updated.too bad you dont have a stock setup to do a before and after with the setup.
Yea, I haven't run the car with this turbo setup yet, so it will be difficult to tell what gains are attributed to the ITB's as opposed to the new turbo set up.

I do have a stock motorset sitting in my garage though. I picked up whats left of the full race s14.5 that Forrest drove, and I was going to drop in the stock rb20 until I get better at driving. If I do this, I can swap the ITB's on and do a dyno before and after to see what gains, if any, are to be had.

I won't feel so bad if I hit a wall at the track in this one. Also has tubbed fenders and a full cage

GTRs13
Car: 89' S13 Coupe AWD RB20DET

What kind of fitment is the cut lower manifold, to the ITB connection that I assume you are going to weld?

As in, you have no flange. You are welding straight to the ITB assembly?

sci2000tech

No, I had flanges cut to match the ITB gaskets. The ITB's/pletnum will bolt up to the flanges.

They don't line up 100%, but its close enough where we can just do a bit of porting. The flanges are at my welders house, so i'll get some pics the next time I'm over there(once the studs come in the mail).

Kalypso

you could slice off a little more

Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

I've seen this done on an RB25 that was over in Japan and worked out real well. When the power levels get going really high always make sure that cylinder 5 and 6 get that special no lean treatment!

I hope this works out really well, it'll give me an alternative method for the RB20 swaps i end up doing. This is cool!

sci2000tech

Update!

Got the flanges on and all welded up by Adam from Streetorstrip concept.

Here are the flanges

All welded up...

A close up of the welds.

Since the flanges didn't line up 100%, we had to do some porting.

With the ARP studs on(M8 x 1.25 - 2.9" long)

ITB's slip right on...

The studs are the perfect length, allowing just enough space for the gaskets/washers.

Bottom view all bolted together.

Top view

A close up of the throttle linkage

Luckily, the RB20 TPS bolted right up to the RB26 linkage. One less thing to worry about.

And how it sits with the ugly, stock fuel rail.

I stll need to figure out the coolant lines, and then it's off to get powdercoated before I throw it on the engine.

Sil240

VERY NIIIIICE!!!

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

The welds on the flange look awesome!

yotik
Car: 240sx Hatch

Neejay

Damn that's nice!

Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

What kind of welder did he use? That is very pro, i like that setup!

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

Very nice bud! Very similar to the concept I had in my head actually...

What's the rest of the engine like (cams etc?)... just concerned about the runner length being so short if you're running aggressive cams or aftermarket exh mani. Can't wait to see a dyno graph! When you get a chance would you mind measuring the runner length?

Keep up the good work!!!

maryjane

looking good! keep us updated on dyno numbers!

S133P3R
Car: 1989 S13 240sx

that ITB set-up looks killer, way to go on the custom work.

Chaos the Xile
Car: 1974 Datsun 260Z

where did you get the flanges for the stock intake at? where they one customs or part of the rb26 intake/itb assembly that you hacked and welded to the slock plenum??????

sci2000tech

The welder is a Miller Syncrowave 250DX. I don't know much about welders, but this one is badass.
rbsileighty wrote:Very nice bud! Very similar to the concept I had in my head actually...

What's the rest of the engine like (cams etc?)... just concerned about the runner length being so short if you're running aggressive cams or aftermarket exh mani. Can't wait to see a dyno graph! When you get a chance would you mind measuring the runner length?

Keep up the good work!!!
The engine is internally stock for now. other than that:

6Boost t3 manifoldKKK K3T 3070MGA turbo(off a Blitz kit)HKS 50mm wastegateSard 550'sZ32 MAFSand of course, the ITB's

As far as the runners go, maybe someone can enlighten me as to how the length affects engine performance. It is a concept I never really understood. All I have been told is that the RB20 doesn't flow enough, and that ITB's/ shorter runners would actually hinder performance. I just don't understand how less restriction, is worse.

Regardless, just like the practicality of a twin turbo RB20, I have to find out for myself

I'll get the length of the runners once I grab the manifold from Adam. He's welding the coolant water neck right now, then we're done with the intake.
Chaos the Xile wrote:where did you get the flanges for the stock intake at? where they one customs or part of the rb26 intake/itb assembly that you hacked and welded to the slock plenum??????
The flanges were custom cut with a waterjet to match the ITB gaskets.

Here's what the intake looks like all welded up and bolted on(in horrible lighting)

I just want it to run again

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

I have some books and such at home... the best I could find internet wise is this article... seems to be a fairly comprehensive writeup and well written. I've been on this forum before... think there is a guy who has RB26 ITB plates on his NA Soarer V8... that thing is nuts btw!!!

http://v8soarer.com/intakerunners/index.shtml

Let me know if you have any questions... hope this helps... keep up the good work!

Here's a decent calculator for running through some ideas... http://www.velocity-of-sound.c...1.htm

sci2000tech

^^^Thanks for the info, very interesting read.

I just picked up the runners and pletnum from powder coating.

I'll bolt it all up to the car and get pics this evening. Sunday it's off to Adams to get the coldpipe and W/G dump tube done.

Kalypso

FTW

240daveTX
Car: 1994 240 vert

+1 for another RB20 vert

sci2000tech

Bam!

iceman.chris
Car: '90 S13 Hatch - SR20 (sold)
'95 240sx LE (dd)

F*cking badass

Andyb2637
Car: 240sx

youtube please

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

Final product looks good!

PorkChopExpress
Car: rb kouki

whats the usable limit of the stock rb26 intake? looks great btw.

black240jl
Car: black 240sx

make me one

sci2000tech

PorkChopExpress wrote:whats the usable limit of the stock rb26 intake? looks great btw.
Not too sure, but I know it's more than my turbo can make.

The cool thing is, I can get a greddy intake if I have to and it will bolt right on.
black240jl wrote:make me one
I would if I could weld

Last time I talked to Adam, he said he wants to have the car present to ensure fitment. Unlike exhaust manifolds that are made on a jig, this was a one-off piece.

I'll talk to him and see if he is interested im making more.

If not, this thread was intended to be kind of a step by step how-to for others interested in having ITB's without an expensive CNC adapter.

If you can weld or know someone who can, then your set. The flanges can be cut to match an ITB gasket at your local waterjet. Or I can have some cut for you if you can't find someone local. Studs from ARP or any other bolt supplier. Ricky @ Rawbrokerage can hook you up with the ITB's and pletnum, and the rest you already have.

Thanks for the comments guys. Little by little she's getting there. We just finished up the coldpipe and w/g dump tube, so it's down tuning just after one more thing......

Wire tuck!

Then I'll get a video up so everyone can see the results.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”