my RB powered S10 project

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
kevwa
Car: 95 Chevy S10 RB25DET

thanks! - actually the front end is from a trailblazer. i just put the front piece of the trailblazer fenders on mine as well as the front piece of the hood which i had to cut about 5 inches out of the center. the grill is just something i put together, its nothing special as it was my first attempt to make a grill. i am also working on making a lower lip for the front bumper which will most likely be temporary - im not too sure how i want the front end to be other than i know im keeping the headlights lol

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Yeah its turning out nice. I wanna see that front end finished, looks like nice progress so far. Different too.

kevwa

well to procrastinate from doing body work even more... i started building a MegaSquirtII computer.

i should have the majority of the main board done between tonight and tomorrow but i still have a few parts that i need to order to add to it. Im going to use a 4 bar map sensor instead of the 2.5bar that comes with the kit, electronic boost controller mod using a GM boost solenoid, and Bosch coil drivers to replace my factory igniter. Also i will be using a trigger wheel mounted on the crank to control timing.

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

Badass man! i thought forsure this project was gone!

Congrats for getting it this far!

kevwa

gone?! haha no way - im just getting started lol - hopefully i will be able to get it running on the megasquirt this semester so i will be able to go back to bodywork and get the front end together. im tired of it looking like Frankenstein.

240cp
Car: 95 240sx

Hey kevwa,

Did you ever take the i5 from the canyon or colorado into consideration. Ive looked around and seems that there is some aftermarket support starting to get behind the engine. I looked around youtube and watched some vid's of the motor and i have to say it sounds great.

Not sure what tranny's come with it and if there is a 5 speed available for it but i know the 4 banger was offered with the 5 speed. A company by the name of hahn racecraft has started developing a kit for it and seems they are getting good numbers from it at only 8 psi. torque being really good.

Anyways was just wondering what everyone thought about the motor seems pretty good to me and probably very straight forward swap for s10 and even a 240

kevwa

i never considered that motor for this swap - i knew from the beginning i wanted something extremely different - i considered getting a base line colorado for a daily driver - and the I5 has a 5 speed manual tranny - but a few of the guys at the chevy dealer where i work said that the motor was not anything special - i guess they have a high rate of blowing head gaskets among other things.. anyway they just didnt give me the impression it was a strong motor and i knew if i got one i would be turbocharging it and then the daily driver idea would never happen lol

240_jz

this is a nice rb25det swap, I never saw this swap in a truck before

elvis240sx

I saw this truck in person it is F-ing bad! The boredom of Mo'Ville has helped many nice cars come together. Nice job Kev!

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

kevwa wrote:well to procrastinate from doing body work even more... i started building a MegaSquirtII computer.

i should have the majority of the main board done between tonight and tomorrow but i still have a few parts that i need to order to add to it. Im going to use a 4 bar map sensor instead of the 2.5bar that comes with the kit, electronic boost controller mod using a GM boost solenoid, and Bosch coil drivers to replace my factory igniter. Also i will be using a trigger wheel mounted on the crank to control timing.
hello dude, nice work. congrats.

what megasquirt are u using? how much was it plus shipping? im saving for one but i dont know where to buy yet. i have a friend in the usa so it will buy it and send to me from mexico. thankyou for ur time. keep the good work. it will be amazing when front end will finished.

kevwa

hey thanks man -

If you are gong to use the MS buy it from here - http://www.diyautotune.com also check out http://www.megatune.com they have alot of infomation on installation

I have spent about $500 on the mega squirt so far but i have gotten a bunch of extra stuff...the main unit is the Megasquirt II - i got the unassembled kit and it was 250 shipped.

i added the relay board, wireharness to connect the relay board to the MSII, 4 bar map sensor (the MSII comes with a 2.5 bar map allowing you to run 21 psi, however i want to run more than that eventually)

just start reading on those 2 sites and dont hessitate to email the customer service - they are very helpful and have always get back to me very quickly.
Modified by kevwa at 6:34 PM 11/2/2008

boostedc10
Car: 89 240sx

this is a bad *** swap. cant wait to see the front end conversion finished!

jay-spec013

LMAO......I saw S10 I was thinking of an older like 60s-70s Silvia. but sweet job man, looks great

kevwa

haha - the funny part is that the chassis code for my truck is actually S14

kevwa

well i finally got the megasquirt install done and got it to fire up the other night! However, now im trying to get a good base map set up so i can get it idling and then get it on the dyno to do tuning. This is my first attempt at tuning so it quiet difficult and frustrating especially since im inpatient and just want it to run - anyway hopefully i will make good progress on it this week and have some more updates and a video

kevwa

i finally got her idling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkFhzrMS9Ec

i had a few issues with the map sensor - bad solder joint and a missing jumper wire - anyway i can finally start tuning it now

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

How is it running without a CAS?

kevwa

im using a trigger wheel on the crank pulley and a VR sensor which runs to the EDIS module - that setup works well with megasquirt and the CAS does not work well with megasquirt

rb420sx
Car: 91 240hatch

wow man that is a bad f'n truck u are more patient than most people i know i wouldnt even think of trying to assemble the MS but good job man cant wait to see those dyno numbers

Otto

Nice job on an original swap!

uuhhh

great job man, if my old s10 had a RB in it i probably would have kept it! haha props mang.

kevwa

thanks for the posts guys!

sorry i havnt had any updates on the project - the truck is currently on lock down at school until the new semester starts January 20, so hopefully once the semester starts i will be back at school to start tuning

it was the last couple of weeks of classes when i got it idling and then i ran into a few exhaust problems and lacked money for a wideband O2 so i was unable to do any tuning on it yet

kevwa

well finally have some updates...

I installed a wide band this week and started doing a little tuning - so far I just got the warm up enrichment set and started working on getting free revving in neutral set. I am hoping to get it out on the road this Friday to start doing some street tuning.

I have also been working on the front end - I got a radiator support, headlight mounting panel, grill, and front bumper from a trailblazer - here is a pic of it but its still just test fitment

kevwa

my roommate and I took the truck out for the first test drive tonight. We got a ruff tune on it so its drivable but I have a lot of tuning left. Here is a video - and dont mind the exhaust coming apart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqOU2IVKhw

wrxratd
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 2002 WRX

AWESOME!!! Congrats on a job well done!!!

tctomasc
Car: 95 240sx

Siiiiiiiiiiiiick holy jesus. I want your truck

kevwa

Thanks for the replies! I am heading to school tomorrow for some dyno tuning so hopefully tomorrow night I will have some numbers - I'm hoping for mid to high 300s

wrxratd
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 2002 WRX

Best of luck!

kevwa

well the tuning went decent but it was harder than expected. I managed to get my VE table dialed in decently - still could use some tweaks though. I ended up running out of time so i did not finish tuning which mean i didnt make any full runs to get numbers. i still need to tune the spark timing - right now i have it set at a safe point so i can drive the truck with no worried but i know i am not making the power i can.

anyway this week i have been working on getting some loose ends tied up because i am driving down to Georgia - yes its a 15 hr drive lol - for the MegaSquirt meet that DIYautotune puts on every year.

hopefully I will be able to get back on the dyno this summer and get some more tuning in

kevwa

Its been a while since i updated so here is the latest for those who are not following my build thread in the RB forum -

I got the truck dialed in pretty good on street tuning - then decided to turn the boost up to 15 -> maxed the injectors out and my clutch started slipping.. I was planning on replacing the clutch and injectors and possibly upgrading the turbo this summer... however.....

I came across an Isuzu Hombre from NC for 600 which I could not pass up... it has no rust, body has little damage.... which means all of my parts on the S10 are getting swapped to the clean body. Here are some of the latest pictures of the new truck - oh and since i was not satisfied with the ride height of the S10 I decided to do a 2.5" body drop on the hombre in addition to the 5/6 suspension drop....

as you can see the motor fits even tighter with the body drop - i made new motor mounts for the hombre which allowed me to lower the motor about 1" and since the body is dropped 2.5" all of the clearances that I had are virtually gone. As it sits now with the wheels turned all the way I only have 1/8" clearance between the oil pan and the steering rack.

Here is how she sits at the moment with the cab and the front clip body dropped.

Lots of people raise the floor up when they do a body drop, however, my plan is to also chop the top so i wanted to keep as much cab space as possible when I did the body drop. As a result I decided to build a custom floor which is what I am currently working on - here are the latest pics of the floor...

the plan is to have the driver side of the floor mostly done this coming weekend - i only bought 2 sheets of metal so I need to get some more in order to finish the floor, also i need some to make ducting for the radiator - i will be mounting the radiator in the bed because with the body drop I decided I would have to move the intercooler up into the radiator support so it had ground clearance, by doing this it left no room for the radiator.

Return to “Hybrids”