My next new daily..

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

So, I have been eyeing on getting a new daily in the next few years, and have been looking at Acura, Lexus, Lincoln, and BMW. But being this early in my search, I only have experienced the Acura MDX, which btw is a fun mid-sized 3-row luxury crossover. I got co-workers who were mechanics and friends that were telling me about Lexus RX 350, since they claim its reliable and luxurious, and so does some sources (won't name them cause they are rigged like everything else these days).

Main reason why I am planning to get a new daily after my graduation is that:
1) I won't have any coverage to pay to replace the CVT when it goes out
2) The Rogue will have more than 200k miles at the rate that I am driving it (estimating to have about 100k miles by end of 2019)
3) Its gonna be beaten up (by driving style) due to my job
4) I am getting irritated by even the slightest problem with the vehicle

However, I am not including Inifiti, because I really had it with Nissan, and thus my gigantic rant thread that will be bumped again, but this time regarding about the Kicks.

I never liked any Toyota products to begin with, and I just don't know why I am steering towards the RX350 as my option. But I have looked at the options, and I am not sure if its viable for me to get an RX350 with the options I want rather than getting an equivalently equipped and priced Acura MDX. I also gave the BMW X3 a look and I clearly backed out because of how expensive it could get and I would be getting a turbocharged inline-4 instead of a 6-cylinder. The same thing also applies for Lincoln (I am not bothering with any GM or FCA product, because I dislike them alot).

So does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the RX line-up and BMW's X-series line-up? Input is much appreciated, since I will be doing an extensive amount of research these next 3 years before I purchase the vehicle.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

My sister bought a new RDX last year and it has been fine. Anecdotal experience aside, the RDX has always had a solid reliability record. The Lexus RX (an evil Toyota product) pretty much tops the list for reliability among midsized upscale SUV's. I'm sure you'd like either as they are a significant step up from what you're driving now. The downside to them is acquisition cost. They're bigger and have more luxury stuff, so you/your parents are going to pay more upfront. But they also hold their value better than other upscale brands due to their better than average reliability.

As far as Bimmah, I know a former X5/X3 owner. Nice vehicles, but not something you really want to own without a warranty, unless you have deep pockets or parental funding.

For a future college grad first car, I' suggest looking at less upscale brands. Every brand you mentioned is considered upscale. You mentioned an even bigger, full sized upscale SUV like the Acura MDX. The Honda Pilot is essentially the same vehicle (just less stylish) and makes far more financial sense. Though neither seem logical for a new college grad. If you want an SUV similar in size to your Rogue, the best two by far are the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav-4. They'll easily last 200K miles, and are more likely to hold up to an aggressive driving style. (ie young male drivers) Another nice crossover to check out if you want to go a little bigger than the Rogue is the Mazda CX5. And if you can put aside the Toyota hate, the Highlander is among the most reliable vehicles on the market. And then there's the 4 runner, especially the older ones from the late 90's, are great you can find a non-rusty one. V6/5 speed tanks.

Good luck.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

That Lexus and Acura models you're looking at are wicked expensive. But they are well built vehicles, so theres that.
However, I'd agree with bubba and get something a tier down like a CX5 or CX3. If you could find a good solid used Honda Element you'd be in a better financial position, too.

datechboss101

The thing is.. I am hoping to go into a graduate school after undergrad, and I really don't want to be stuck at a dealership or mechanic to get the car fixed and I don't have the money to put towards the repairs. That's why I am starting early to save up for a new car before I go into grad school. So anything used is out of the question now, since I was told about the ridiculous high APR rates that the banks put on for those loans.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

LOL. My son once thought similarly as you. Then reality hit him, about cars + post graduation expenses, when withdrawls from the national bank of mom/dad ends. You might want to think more about how much you'll need to get your life started post college, which should include a safety net. I suspect once you crunch those figures, $50K for a new luxury SUV will quickly become an extravagance. Keep in mind you can buy a new Honda CR-V for under $30K, which is just a fraction of the cost of the vehicles you want.

If your parents are paying for your next car and the insurance for it, which is not cheap for someone your age, that's awesome. Go for the max. But, if you're planning to do it all on your own, I believe you're setting your sites a bit too high.

fwiw, my son's first car was used Corolla. Under $10K. Paid cash. About as exciting as a Rogue ;), extremely reliable, cheap to maintain/repair/insure and gets 30+ mpg. So I don't quite buy "the tied up at dealer" concern unless you buy a Fiat. Another thing to consider about used cars. If money is a concern, if you buy a $10K used car, you are not going to spend in repairs the $40,000 difference it would take just to buy a new luxury SUV. Food for thought.

Sorry if I sound like a dad. I am one.

Enjoy.

datechboss101

Thank you for your response Bubba1. I just started to compile a list of cars. So far, most of them have a 4-cylinder (no surprise), 6-speed manual (thanks to Nissan for making me to dislike the CVT), and most of them are sedans (with an exception of few Honda vans/suvs). I would consider the CRV ONLY IF the 1.5 wasn't plaguing it like smallpox. However, once I get the price down for each vehicle, I will come up with my realistic budget.

I am still in the beginnings of my research. If I have to go used, I have to ask a few buddies due to my knowledge or more like lack of mechanical knowledge, to join me. I got a few vehicles on my basket if I want to go used:
1) 2nd gen Acura MDX
2) 3rd gen Acura TL
3) 3rd gen Odyssey
4) 8th/9.5th gen Civic
5) 7th/9th Gen V6 Accord

Also, my used car research would be far more intensive than new car research.

And, according to med schools (where I plan on looking at getting into) told us that not everyone gets in right after undergrad (keep in mind that I am apart of a medical fraternity that is co-ed which is highly selective). So, I should have time to make enough to pay off the car and then save up for either grad school or for a house...

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Buy something older and learn how to use tools. As I recall you're intimidated even by oil changes. That is how you become less beholden to dealers and repair shops.

datechboss101

Desert Rat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm
Buy something older and learn how to use tools. As I recall you're intimidated even by oil changes. That is how you become less beholden to dealers and repair shops.
I do have a local mech that I go to (before college started) due to both Nissan and Honda dealers were charging me xtra-xtra and I really didn't like it after I grew up a few years. But since college started, I am only in town on the weekends (cause I got that homesickness thing) where my mech or any local indie mech is not opened. Then I work on Friday nights and the entire saturday, which knocks out those two days, and then I am left with Sunday, where ONLY one NISSAN dealer close my brothers school (ironically the nearest one to me) is open for a few hours.

I already started wrenching with our old Honda (we don't own it anymore) and now I am wrenching my daily here and there a bit, because Nissan really makes crappy engineering designs (talk about a big guy and back pains!). In addition, I only wrench on my driveway, because my university won't allow us to work on our cars in the parking garages (stupid rule but ig they are looking out for safety and liability and stuff).

My first DIY was actually PS Fluid D&F, followed by CAF change, then Spark Plugs (hands-down the easiest job), and then the EAF. I got some wrenching experience, and I try to wrench before I throw in the towel and take it to the dealer (I am gonna try to change my oil in the next week or so).

Return to “General Chat”