My new project

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

It's an 87 mk2 s12 with a ca18det swap.

Engine: Ca18det

Mods:
Fmic
hks ssqv
t25g

Trans Stock
centerforce dual friction stage 2
nismo short shifter

Exhaust
s13 3 inch exhaust modded to fit the s12
not sure the name of the muffler

suspension
tokico adjustables
canuck springs

Wheels
Sportmax xxr 15x8 0 offset

Extras
nismo buckets
hids
new water pump
turbo timer
factory service manual for the 87 s12
factory wiring schematic for the 87 s12
t28
t25g
gauge pods
egt gauge
boost gauge
Upolstery to reupolster the car.
That's all I can remember right now I'll update as I find more

Now on with the pics exterior only because it was to windy to do the interior lol

Yeah the hot pipe is a custom job by me lol the hot pipe he had didn't fit after I swapped turbos it was off by three inches so I got some rad pipe and used the coupler to make it fit lol some mcgyver s*** just needed it to run so while tow on oacassion I could start the motor to charge the battery so my lights and hazards don't go dead lol.
Well about a month ago my window some jackass decided to break my pass window for what reason I don't know but i do know who did it...lol and they will get theirs in due time well iwent to the jy and bought a new window which happened to have the same purple tin t the rest of the car has lol which was perfect lol then My girl got bored and decided to clean my rims and now they are blinging lol

Ok Iggy, My girl and myself pulled apart the motor last and found very minimal damage to the motor first the head gasket was blown and second the #4 piston had a very slight hole around the edge near th cyl wall so from an assement last night I need a head gasket and a piston luckily I bought rods and pistons from the det for my single cam project so I have a spare set lol while I'm in there I'm gonna rering all 4 and check the bearings and make sure they are within spec then hopefully I can this bad boy up and running by the end of the month.
alright got some pics of the damage turnsout not only was the piston burned but we found broken ring lands actually I should say destroyed ring lands lol on with the pics...

no.4

compared to no.1

ringland comparison the broken one is no.4

Sorry the flash f*** it up but without it you cant see it lol anyway I have spare rods and pistons that were for my single cam project so I will be replacing the number 4 piston also will be replacing the rings on all of them and also the bearings they weren't to bad but I figure why not since they are out....oh and btw the det is way easier to work on than the single cam lol. But don't get it twisted I still love the single cam....

sorry if some of it doesn't make sense I kinda just copied an pasted it from my build thread on cs12

The Siath
Car: 99 Nissan Maxima, Arctic Pearl White, VQ30de, 5MT.

Looks like your gonna have a nice beasty car when your all done. I love this model year too... fyi - One the one I had the rear spoiler was 'loose' so I removed it to fix the nut inserts and found a ton of rust under it -0- so that's something your may want to look at during your 'paint and body days...

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

awesome project.

that hot pipe is a joke..... you gotta fix that asap.

how did you find out who broke into your car?(if you can say w/o the person who broke in seeing it on here).

keep us posted. :dblthumb:

Sideways s12

The Siath wrote:Looks like your gonna have a nice beasty car when your all done. I love this model year too... fyi - One the one I had the rear spoiler was 'loose' so I removed it to fix the nut inserts and found a ton of rust under it -0- so that's something your may want to look at during your 'paint and body days...

Thanks and its a cali car so i don't expect much rust anywhere but I will check it out if I decide to paint it.

Sideways s12

ca18detgabby wrote:awesome project.

how did you find out who broke into your car?(if you can say w/o the person who broke in seeing it on here).

Lol the hot pipe was a cheap altertative fix I had to do it because the guy that sold me the car said it was a turbo problem so I swapped the turbo withy one of the three he gave me with the car and it turned out the hot pop was too short for it. The turbo was obviously not the problem lol and I needed to get it from cali to vegas. so we had to tow it unfortunetly the rental didn't have a tow hitch so we had to tow strap it back. I did the hot pipe like that so i could turn the car on while being towed so that i could fire it up while being towed so that the lights and hazards don't die trust I alreday have a hot pipe I'm gonna use just needed something quick and cheap so we could tow from cali otherwise would have never done it.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Needs a little work, but otherwise S E X! I love S12's.

ragenasian
Car: AE86 w/CA18DET

Yes with a little TLC that thing will be sweet. I love S12's too but they are too damn rare over here, but over here they came with FJ20's!

Keep us updated!

mbmbmb23

Love the rear valence behind the wheels...never seen that one.

Sideways s12

Thanks guys glad you like it and the rear valence behinkd the wheels I'm pretty sure you've seen lol they are from an ae86 corolla custom fit to the s12 not bad at all if you ask me just needs a little love because they aren't mounted right and the slightest bump will take them out lol

Sideways s12

cleaned up the pistons adding the rings when I get the bearings and then hone the block then reassembly and were good gonna run a bb t28 along with 450's and a walbro with safc prob gonna run 10psi after break in just to see how she acts then ex cam mod then up the boost what do you guys think?

Sideways s12

ca18detgabby wrote:awesome project.

Just realized i didn't answer your question. Well I was at work and my girl called me and told me my window was broke so she went outside to clean it up and the guys that did it were still there they live in my complex and they were laughing and s*** at her while she was cleaning up the glass she told me this while she was cleaning it she obviously couldn't do anything being that she was outnumbered and a girl I told her next time she goes out there to clean it make sure she brings my gun. But I will get my revenge especially since we are moving into a house so on the last night before we leave they are gonna be in a world of hurt lol I don't mean physically either but they def got something coming I just let them think they got away with it

JDM!yo
Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia K's
1989 Nissan Skyline GTsT type M
1991 Nissan 240 sx

sweet!!!

Sideways s12

Lol thanks ordered my bearings today going with oem for now also on payday I will be getting a topmount mani for later down the road when I want to make more power I have a 60 trim that needs to be rebuilt so hopefully that will go well.....

RS12Turbo

Look'in good man :bigthumb:

Sideways s12

Thanks Keith means alot coming from a guy with one of the cleanest s12's in the world lol

RS12Turbo

I don't know about all that...but thanks!

Sideways s12

Lol it is...

Sideways s12

Well got the piston swapped and the pistons cleaned up and rings put on also honed the block just have to put on the bearings and put the block back together.

Sideways s12

alright shortblock is in the car and bolted all nice an clean with new bearings and rings just need to get my headgasket fluids and few other misc parts and she will be running we are moving at the end of the week so it may be a lil bit before another update. I do have pics tho bu I have to wait till I get home to post them my work doesn't allow photobucket on the comp lol

Sideways s12

the pics I promised

The workspace

That's my buddy helpin me out...

just a few more things and she will be ready to go...

The liquid in the cylinders is wd40 it displaces water and we used it to clean up and grease left over on the pistons..it's no longer in there tho I dried it up with a towel

Sideways s12

been awhile since I posted but the car is up and running My buddy figured out the timing issue and fixed it went for the break in and f*** love it! every pull seemed harder than the last. It was awesome! lol I love this motor! Now I need to start modding it lol can't wait! thanks for all the help guys this site is great!

Sideways s12

I'd figured i'd post up and update for anybody that cares lol. Recently my wackass egay tubular ex. mani (which came with the car) decided to to tell me to go f*** my couch lol the collector seperated from the flange (that was fun) I basically had to drive home n/a and open header for about a mile and i don't know if it's ever happened to any of you but that s*** is loud I was scaring the hell out of people at the bus stops lol. Anyway a buddy of mine had a stock mani laying around so I installed that till I fix the tubular one. Idk why but the exhaust seems waaay quieter now with the stock mani as opposed to the tubular (in working form).

Anybody know the size of the studs on the manifold flage where it bolts ot the turbo when i switch back to the tubular i'm gonna need to replace one.

float_6969

Yea, the cast manifold quiets out the exhaust. It's normal. Can't help you with the manifold stud.

Sideways s12

Damn thanks anyway. Anybody know the size by chance?

Sideways s12

damn ca's and eating rad hoses lol this is the second one since i got it running......

Sideways s12

So I haven't updated this in awhile 2 years to be exact lol. I do still have the car and the ca. Its sitting right now because the number 1 piston rings took a s*** on me im guessing ringlands again. I just recently pulled the motor out so i can get it rebuilt...

The craptastic wiring I have to deal with...Previous owner wired it for an s13 problem is I have an s12...What a Douche!

This is my clutch but i do have a question maybe someone might know but what the hell is the magnet thing on my pp?

dash
Car: s13 ca18

i'm guessing you're referring to those "weights" at the center of the pressure plate?
if so..... thats centerforce way of using centrifugal force (of the weights), to add more clamping force on the disc as rpm rises
Lotsa folks swear by them... provided "break-in" procedure followed

Sideways s12

yeah I was refering to them are they needed? If I take them off is my clutch going to slip or be s***? Thinking of upgrading anyway when I finish th rebuild

float_6969

Do NOT remove them. They build the pressure plate "light" so that the pedal pressure is near stock, but as the RPMS rise (and so does TQ) you get more clamping force. With out the extra clamping force from the weights, it will likely slip at higher RPMS.

Sideways s12

Ahh Thank you Float I will keep them on then....

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”