My Miata, one year later.

Since so many NICOclub staffers and members own a Miata, here's a spot to discuss the car Nissan wishes it had built!
OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

I realized a few months ago that calling it 'brand new' wasn't appropriate. So I went with new for a while. Now we've had it for a year. Guess it's officially a used car now no matter what I want to try and call it. :)

So in 1 year we've done 9,240 miles. For the most part it still drives the way it did new. I'm starting to notice the feel of a used car. The slight sink in the brake pedal, the bite gone from the clutch, the way it feels sorted and used to being driven.

1. Drive by wire. I've gotten used to it. I'm not saying I like it better than a traditional cable, but it does have it's advantages. It requires what I would consider dramatic throttle usage that probably feels more natural to a new driver. It's linear, where you are selecting how hard you want the engine to push, rather than managing the airflow yourself. It requires a different mindset. I honestly still feel the best throttle response is a well tuned carb, but meh, it'll do.

2. Power Hardtop. Best thing ever. Not kidding, Makes owning a convertible realistic.

3. OMG I NEED MORE SPACE. I have to shop with the Odin damned small carts cause I can't fit any more than that in the trunk. If I buy toilet paper or paper towels in bulk, forget it. Considering buying a wagon. (Just an excuse lol)

4. Everything works the same as new. My buttons look good, the interior has no signs of wear or discoloration. There are a few scratches but that's user error. Nothing has broke. Never had work done. Dealer is doing the oil changes in case we decide we want to sell it. It's been trouble free and a great car.

5. They really phoned it in with the stock wiper blades. This is honestly my only complaint about the car. They suck. They sucked from day one. Did they expect me to park it in the rain? Hell I don't even put the top up for light sprinkles. In Portland, I am frequently in situations where I am using the wipers and have the top down. The aerodynamics do a great job of keeping water out of the interior. The wipers suck. They're just bad. Like Autozone $3 insert replacement bad. :tisk:

6. It's still fun to drive. Pam commutes to work on a scooter. I don't commute. When we moved here in August of last year the car was 3 months old and had 4,800 miles. And of those 2,800 were the trip from Tennessee. It sits a lot. When I fire it up, it is with the intention of going for a drive. This makes the car so much more special. Every mile in this car is enjoyed. None of it is tedious. I take the Miata out for a nice relaxing drive in the mountains and tuck it away in the garage. We only even put the top up if we park it somewhere and it will rain, or where we want the car secure.

7. I wash brake dust off both axles. I never had a car like this before. Makes me feel like the rears are really working and not just along for the ride.

All in all I'm glad we bought this car. I could make myself miserable comparing it to every other iteration of the Miata, or I can give it a fair shake as what it is. It's a financable, affordable toy. A toy that needed to be an only car for two people, a daily driver and a weekend toy. It's done everything we asked of it, including helping to build the credit that bought the garage it's parked in.

Happy Anniversary Miata. :cheers:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

The wipers probably suck because they are so old. They put them on in Hiroshima, it goes across the pacific on a boat, then gets loaded to a train and brought to a distribution center, then a truck, then sits on the lot and waits for you to buy it. Really they were probably bad before you ever even started using it.
If the poor workers didn't have to drive the thing around in the parking/shipping area, I would say they shouldn't even install the damn things. Just toss them in the passenger seat like they used to do with the big giant radio antennas.

NicoLoco

Good-looking Miata

Return to “Miata Madness”